Joystick - install on OSX?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dockerslund

dockerslund

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:55 PM

I bought myself a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, mainly to play flight simulators like Operation Iraqi Freedom and X-Plane.
But don't I need to install anything?
I've plugged it in to the USB port and I can indeed control the plane, but how do I program the buttons on the joystick?

EDIT: Oops, sorry! This should probably have been posted under the Hardware section.

#2 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:06 PM

View Postdockerslund, on September 21st 2007, 11:55 PM, said:

I bought myself a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Me too!

But don't I need to install anything?
Nope.  

how do I program the buttons on the joystick?

Do the games not have any way of doing that built-in?  I'm using mine with D2X-XL, which has a configuration screen for this purpose.  If they don't, you could try something like USB Overdrive, though I'm not sure how well it would work in this case.

--Eric

#3 dockerslund

dockerslund

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:29 PM

View PostEric5h5, on September 22nd 2007, 04:06 PM, said:

Me too!

Nope.  
Do the games not have any way of doing that built-in?  I'm using mine with D2X-XL, which has a configuration screen for this purpose.  If they don't, you could try something like USB Overdrive, though I'm not sure how well it would work in this case.

--Eric

Wow!
Thanks for the quick answer.
Well...I installed USB Overdrive and now I can't control anything at all.
In USB Overdrive, it registrates when I push all the different buttons, moves the stick in different directions etc.
But as soon as I start up the game, I can't control anything.

And no, I can't set up the joystick in F/A 18 Operation Iraqi Freedom. I can certainly choose "Joystick" but that's about it.

#4 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:37 PM

View Postdockerslund, on September 22nd 2007, 12:29 AM, said:

Well...I installed USB Overdrive and now I can't control anything at all.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.  Though I believe you'll find that you can use USB Overdrive in this way to control mouse-driven applications that normally don't see joysticks.  (Not that this is terribly useful, given the differences between mouse and joystick control.)

And no, I can't set up the joystick in F/A 18 Operation Iraqi Freedom. I can certainly choose "Joystick" but that's about it.

Bummer.  I'm out of ideas then; maybe someone else has something.  (Or maybe someone needs to write a USB Overdrive-type app for joysticks instead of mice.)

--Eric

#5 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:08 AM

Docker,
What kind of a Mac do you have?

Most of the newer flight sims, including Iraqi freedom should have a controls setup within the game for setting up your joystick. Get to the main screen and look for something like "options" or "controls" or "settings". Get in there and dig around. The last program I configured a joystick, X-Plane, you pulled up a configuration page via a "settings" menu and mapped controls directly to the joystick with joystick key presses while in the game.  (Hopefully that is not confusing.) On the config page you'd select a control on the screen and then press the applicable joystick button. If you can find the controls setup in say Iraqi Freedom, first of all, I would uninstall USB overdrive and see if you can accomplish this without it. X-Plane's interface is not all that user friendly, but the settings menu at the top of the page will take you to  controls setup. It is pretty extensive and you don't need USB Overdrive for X-Plane.

USB overdrive is intended for those games that don't include adequate mapping controls and at one time it was used when USB was relatively new and some of the then current games did not know how to handle USB devices and it also became handy durning the transition from MacOS9 to OSX when people were running some games in classic.  It has been a while since I've used USB overdrive, but if your joystick is USB then you should be able to connect it to your game. Some how I suspect operator error. :) Get into the USB Overdrive documents and read how to configure it. Maybe someone else knows, but you have to figure out if you must associate USB O with each game or does it take over everything?

As previously stated, you don't need USB O for X-Plane. I'm not sure about Iraqi Freedom as I never played it.

#6 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:10 AM

Last I heard Operation Iraqi Freedom did'nt play too nicely with most joysticks.

Which is a bit of an oversight, it being a flight sim..

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#7 dockerslund

dockerslund

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:16 PM

View PostHuntn, on September 23rd 2007, 12:08 AM, said:

Docker,
What kind of a Mac do you have?

Most of the newer flight sims, including Iraqi freedom should have a controls setup within the game for setting up your joystick. Get to the main screen and look for something like "options" or "controls" or "settings". Get in there and dig around. The last program I configured a joystick, X-Plane, you pulled up a configuration page via a "settings" menu and mapped controls directly to the joystick with joystick key presses while in the game.  (Hopefully that is not confusing.) On the config page you'd select a control on the screen and then press the applicable joystick button. If you can find the controls setup in say Iraqi Freedom, first of all, I would uninstall USB overdrive and see if you can accomplish this without it. X-Plane's interface is not all that user friendly, but the settings menu at the top of the page will take you to  controls setup. It is pretty extensive and you don't need USB Overdrive for X-Plane.

USB overdrive is intended for those games that don't include adequate mapping controls and at one time it was used when USB was relatively new and some of the then current games did not know how to handle USB devices and it also became handy durning the transition from MacOS9 to OSX when people were running some games in classic.  It has been a while since I've used USB overdrive, but if your joystick is USB then you should be able to connect it to your game. Some how I suspect operator error. :) Get into the USB Overdrive documents and read how to configure it. Maybe someone else knows, but you have to figure out if you must associate USB O with each game or does it take over everything?

As previously stated, you don't need USB O for X-Plane. I'm not sure about Iraqi Freedom as I never played it.

Huntn,

I've got a Macbook Pro.

I've disabled USB Overdrive and I'm now able to fly the plane again.
But in Operation Iraqi Freedom, all you can do it to choose Joystick from the settings menu. You can't calibrate it or anything. Not as far as I can see...

#8 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:30 PM

I was just playing around with Descent 3, and discovered that to my surprise that the joystick is recognized and works fine, including the throttle.  The only problem is that the Extreme 3D Pro is too new to be recognized by GameSprockets, so you're stuck with the default configuration, which I don't care for (up and down need to be inverted, among other things).  I thought I'd give USB Overdrive a shot, and whaddya know, it works just great (with one exception, in addition to having to disable Exposť hot corners or else Exposť goes wacky when moving the joystick around).  You use the joystick to control the mouse, which in relative mode works exactly like a joystick in the game.  Then you can assign the various buttons to keys as you like.  The one and only drawback to this method is that the throttle doesn't work in analog mode.  You can assign keys to throttle up/down, so it does still work, but only full speed forward/back.  If only there was a way to use something like selective pass-through, so the throttle was sent as a normal joystick signal (which Descent 3 recognizes) and the rest was controlled by USB Overdrive.  Then it would be perfect.  So very very close....

Anyway, my point is that if you can live with a digital throttle, you might try using USB Overdrive in Operation Iraqi Freedom again.  You wouldn't choose to use a joystick in the game; you'd use mouse control instead.  I'm assuming it at least allows that?  Then you can calibrate it by adjusting mouse sensitivity.

--Eric

#9 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:09 PM

View Postdockerslund, on September 22nd 2007, 05:16 PM, said:

Huntn,

I've got a Macbook Pro.

I've disabled USB Overdrive and I'm now able to fly the plane again.
But in Operation Iraqi Freedom, all you can do it to choose Joystick from the settings menu. You can't calibrate it or anything. Not as far as I can see...

um... did you actually map any of the buttons to key presses in USB overdrive?

if you didnt, that is why its not working... you told the computer to use USB overdrive and then didnt map any button presses.... so you hit the button... and get nothing, which is exactly what you've programmed it to do.

#10 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:10 PM

View PostTetsuya, on September 23rd 2007, 07:09 PM, said:

um... did you actually map any of the buttons to key presses in USB overdrive?

if you didnt, that is why its not working... you told the computer to use USB overdrive and then didnt map any button presses.... so you hit the button... and get nothing, which is exactly what you've programmed it to do.

Ah yes, operator error. :D

#11 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:50 PM

View PostHuntn, on September 23rd 2007, 11:10 PM, said:

Ah yes, operator error. :D

It's a lot more likely that Operation Iraqi Freedom isn't working with USB Overdrive because it then doesn't get joystick signals anymore.  This has nothing to do with mapping keys.  The solution is to use mouse control in the game instead, but then you have the problem of the throttle not working completely, as I mentioned.

--Eric

#12 OutofTouch

OutofTouch

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:25 AM

I also have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick and was wanting to try and use it with Unreal Tournament 2004. I know a lot of people recommend keyboard and mouse but I thought if I could program all the buttons correctly it could be worthwhile. My computer recognises when it's plugged in, it appears in the System Profile but I can't get it to work with UT2004 properly.

I can program the buttons to do UT actions like fire, alt-fire, jump, crouch eyc but I can't actually get any character movement with the joystick, ie. forward, back, left, right, etc. I haven't tried USBO yet, would this solve the issue? Does a joystick like this even work in UT2004?