#701 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Joo

• Admin
  • 3016 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:44 PM

I'll be finally putting all my popsnizzle together this weekend.

I quickly hooked up the new MB CPU and PSU on my desk so I could see if any were DOA. Fired up and went to bios just fine. The new BIOS is pretty slick compared to what I'm used too. Its very graphical and even has a mouse-input option (if you can image that! I cant). Pages upon pages of settings, a lot of new things in there. Crazy. Anyhow the BIOS HW Monitor was showing idle at 40c, but then after a couple turn on/off it idled at 35c. This was with the crappy intel cooler slapped on real quick (with its heapin thermal paste mountain) just so the CPU wouldnt burn up during testing for DOA.

Will being doing the real surgery this weekend and I cant wait! WOO... fun way to spend a winter storm :)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#702 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Joo

• Admin
  • 3016 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

Well after a hiccup with a DOA drive, and running to microcenter in a snow storm (instead of waiting 2 weeks for newegg rma)... I was able to finally get to booting win7 and running some initial cpu tests on stock bios settings.

CoreTemp.exe readings:
Ambient 24°C
CPU Idle 25-26°C
CPU Load 51-57°C

HWMonitor64.exe readings:
Ambient 26°
CPU Idle 27-30°
CPU Load 52-57°

Look like my 4th core sits much cooler than the other three (by about ~5°). Odd about CoreTemp reading totally different 'idle' temps. But I've read that when its near the 26 mark, the readings get a bit wonky as its pretty much the baseline of the sensors. Both monitor apps read about the same for when the CPU's are loaded down. I was using the IntelBurnTest app and prime95.

Also time to drop from load to idle temps is about 3 seconds with my HSF. Thats how much time it takes it to cool from 57 down to 29 after I kill the burn tests.

So far, I'm pleased with the results. However I am not overclocking it yet or adding anymore voltage than normal.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#703 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1993 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

What cooler are you using?

#704 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Joo

• Admin
  • 3016 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:41 AM

This one:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835242008

Same one I had bought for my first i7, amazingly they had the foresight to supply multiple mounting holes and it works for the new socket LGA1150 just fine!

Currently I put this fan on it:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835608037

Not a real fan of the fan, because its not as powerful as so many people make it out to be. I have a smaller 90mm fan that pushes more air with force, and runs just as quite at double the rpm. Go figure. So I will prolly be changing out the fan at some point if I see temps get too high and want more airflow through the heatsink.

-Fm [1oM7]