814 replies to this topic

#21 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:29 PM

Every once in a while, you find a bargain pc, which goes for somewhere around $200. My question is what can these play? I know  the question is very vague...
Mac Tip of the Day is a podcast, blog, archive, e-mail subscription, etc. of for clever mac tip every day!
Also check out Mac Tip of the Day for the Iphone

Click Here and join Gamefly!

Current Comp:
Intel Mac Mini OS 10.4.10
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Correct me if I'm wrong. It happens often.

#22 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:20 AM

View Postarchermitch, on September 15th 2007, 03:29 PM, said:

Every once in a while, you find a bargain pc, which goes for somewhere around $200. My question is what can these play? I know  the question is very vague...

mitch, why dont you just get a 360 elite? you can plug it into a VGA monitor and all. its the cheapest alternative.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#23 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:21 AM

View PostThe Red Scare, on September 15th 2007, 12:04 AM, said:

Did you buy the retail version (which sells for about $200) or the OEM version (which sells for around $85)?  If  you bought the latter, you might not be able to install it on a different computer.

OEM's have that restriction? As far as registration of XP, I thought you just call up whoever at MS and advise them you are upgrading your computer.

#24 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:50 AM

View PostHuntn, on September 15th 2007, 10:21 PM, said:

OEM's have that restriction? As far as registration of XP, I thought you just call up whoever at MS and advise them you are upgrading your computer.

i tried that but they accused me of conspiring to terrorism. shift dollarmunchers :glare:

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#25 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:10 AM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on September 15th 2007, 01:50 PM, said:

i tried that but they accused me of conspiring to terrorism. shift dollarmunchers :glare:

Seriously?  That's odd, cause every time I've run into Windows (or Office for that matter) saying I've reached the max registration limit, I just call Microsoft, tell them I'm reinstalling it, and they give me a registration number.  The process takes about 15 min. when I've had to do it though cause of the stupid automated system that they use that goes out and checks again to see if it can register the product.  Granted I have not tried reinstalling my OEM copy of XP yet though.

#26 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:17 AM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on September 15th 2007, 03:20 AM, said:

mitch, why dont you just get a 360 elite? you can plug it into a VGA monitor and all. its the cheapest alternative.
I've thought about it... The main reasons are that the mouse and keyboard are much better than 360 and anything with dual analog sticks isn't all that it can be. (It's very hard for me to use dual sticks) Most of the games come out for the pc anyways so I don't have much to worry about as far as releases go. I still have a couple of things to secure before I make the decision of buying a pc. For example, I never did a Windows Update for XP, which might explain why everything crashes...
Mac Tip of the Day is a podcast, blog, archive, e-mail subscription, etc. of for clever mac tip every day!

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#27 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:08 PM

View Postarchermitch, on September 15th 2007, 09:17 AM, said:

For example, I never did a Windows Update for XP, which might explain why everything crashes...

Windows XP Service Pack 2 is a must.

#28 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:22 PM

How am I supposed to play CS online? When looking for online games in the CS menus it is empty, when using the STEAM servers, I cant connect to any!?

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#29 G-News

G-News

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:07 AM

View Postarchermitch, on September 16th 2007, 05:22 AM, said:

How am I supposed to play CS online? When looking for online games in the CS menus it is empty, when using the STEAM servers, I cant connect to any!?

Sure your internet config and firewall settings are correct?
Also, why the hell would you want to play CS? That game has been past its expiration date for about 5 years. Isn't it incredibly boring to play that blocky piece of crap still?
Now officially the forum idiot

#30 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:11 AM

it cost a quarter...

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#31 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:02 PM

...and you'll wonder why you wasted a quarter when you could of parked your car for 30 minutes.  ;)

make sure there aren't any weird combo of server filters running that could filter out all of the servers (hey.. it could happen :o) and make sure it's set to look on the internet and not on a LAN.  Also, do you mean you're launching the game and using the in game server browser, or do you mean the server browser in the Steam app itself..?
"Nothing here but us text"

#32 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:05 PM

Both, I use the in game server and nothing shows up and i look through the servers in the steam app itself and click on the CS servers, but nothing happens

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#33 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:58 PM

I've just discovered something:

http://www.xcm.cc/XFPS_360_PRO.htm

This is the last straw. It's cheaper than a PC. The only thing I'm worried about it the games. What games am I missing out on and what games am I gaining? I guess I'm getting Halo (which I don't care for), RE5 (a large motivator!), and Assassin's Creed.

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#34 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:01 PM

View Postarchermitch, on September 14th 2007, 12:04 AM, said:

So I've given up on gaming with my Mac Mini and have decided to purchase a gaming pc. But before I make it official, I need to know prices and if the industry is just about to release a breakthrough, or if prices are going down. I just want to run F.E.A.R., Half-Life 1 & 2, Stranglehold, Gears of War, and Starcraft II. All help is appreciated!

Good Lord archermitch! Don't even waste your savings on those PC theives!
Save your Savings Account and get a Nintendo GameCube, and count all those duckets you've saved
for your rainy days you'll deffinately have for crying out loud! All that PC crap is way over rated and over priced! Get used Nintendo games on ebay, amazon, local used gaming shops (Who'll love you to death for the business BTW) and garage sales and thrifty shops....

Please, oh please don't give yourself a major headshaker :huh: three to six months down the road......

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#35 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 12:27 AM

lol! I have every Nintendo console to the SNES! I also have Gamefly giving a me new games through mail! :) I'm on the Nintendo boat already!

I've already decided not to get  PC. At most, I'll get a 360 with mouse and keyboard support.

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#36 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 12:42 AM

View Postarchermitch, on September 22nd 2007, 01:27 AM, said:

lol! I have every Nintendo console to the SNES! I also have Gamefly giving a me new games through mail! :) I'm on the Nintendo boat already!

I've already decided not to get  PC. At most, I'll get a 360 with mouse and keyboard support.
Interesting.
Can you please explain what "I have every Nintendo console to the SNES"
means? I don't understand everything yet.. :mellow:

yo-mike

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#37 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 12:45 AM

oopsie poopsie. I meant, I have Nintendo console since the Snes. Meannig I have the SNES, GCN, and the Wii. I'm also looking into the DS.

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#38 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 01:02 AM

View Postarchermitch, on September 22nd 2007, 01:45 AM, said:

oopsie poopsie. I meant, I have Nintendo console since the Snes. Meannig I have the SNES, GCN, and the Wii. I'm also looking into the DS.
Well, whatever! :lol:
You're totally set, Dude!

'Bout  all  have to  say is;  Nintendo  is  pretty  awesome  and  affordable..

Game on...

yo-mike

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#39 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 03:24 PM

View Postarchermitch, on September 21st 2007, 11:45 PM, said:

N64?

#40 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 03:32 PM

I have the N64 too, but I forgot to put it in. I seem to be jumbled up when typing in this topic... I have Super Mario All-Stars, which is my favorite SNES game of all time! It's a collection of Lost Levels, Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario World, etc. The game rocks!

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM