#41 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:15 AM

View PostiRolley, on December 5th 2007, 06:05 PM, said:

Is there a Hendrix song in the game? And we get to set the guitar controller on fire near the end ??? :D

No.

View PostDaveyJJ, on December 5th 2007, 06:25 PM, said:

Is there an "11" volume setting?

Yes.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#42 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:28 AM

looks like the game is about ready to go :lol:  at least i have to wait though because the aussie release date has been pushed into 08. so whoever gets it first be sure to post about your experience!

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#43 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:40 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on September 16th 2007, 02:06 AM, said:

That's too broad. By that logic, the Tony Hawk games also belong in the Simulator forum as well.

Donkey Konga simulates playing bongos.. in the jungle, as a giant ape. Does it belong in the category Simulators? I say not. Yet the gameplay and goals are similar to Guitar Hero.

I think what would help here is rather than us argue about which games are simulators, let's find a good definition of them and then apply it uniformly. There will always be some edge cases that give somebody fits, but at least we'll be consistent and people will be able to find stuff.

Wikipedia has a long article on the topic of simulations. I was struck by this statement:

I think that's exactly what's missing from Guitar Hero. The goal of the game isn't to study how the system works and experiment with the variables.

So I think what we have been arguing about is simulation versus simulator. Many games these days contain some simulation, but their purpose is not to be a simulator. "Simulation" is therefore not a very useful way to partition the forum. "Simulator" is useful.
Happily, the forum is named "Mac Simulators". Just about the only thing wrong with it is that it contains some posts about Guitar Hero.  :)

Guitar Hero is about as much a guitar simulator as Cro Mag Rally is a driving simulator and a simulator of prehistoric lifestyles. After playing through the full game you have approximately 0.0 more clue how to actually play guitar than before. Having played a fair bit of Guitar Hero II on my 360 I would classify it as an arcade game over most other genres.... a fast-paced action (yes, it's actually action to hit the guitar... hopefully some who has played it would agree with me) game requiring hand-eye coordination skill to play. It also involves very short levels, simple, easy to grasp controllers, iconic characters, and rapidly increasing difficulty. It's designed to give quick bursts of adrenaline-fueled thrills and with that I think we cover almost everything that defines an arcade game.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#44 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:15 AM

View PostWhaleman, on December 12th 2007, 11:40 PM, said:

...And with that I think we cover almost everything that defines an arcade game.

and its an arcade game too :nods:

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#45 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:34 AM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on December 12th 2007, 02:15 PM, said:

and its an arcade game too :nods:

yet the topic is still in the simulators forum 3 months after Matt pointed that out... I just had to bump that point of view ;)
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#46 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:28 AM

It's an RSI simulator.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#47 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:58 PM

if this idiots review is anything to go by...it should stay in here

from The Apple Store

THIS IS COOL!!!!!!!
Written by ST
December 5, 2007
everyone should buy tthis bescause it is cool and good pratice for the real thing!
(12 of 35 people found this review useful)
Was this useful?  ....
:mellow:

i'd have to vote no on that one mate

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

#48 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:18 PM

(12 of 35 people found this review useful)

That's 12 people who, if I ever see with a real guitar, I will run away from very fast.

--Eric

#49 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:39 AM

I played with Guitar Hero III for the Mac during the last few days. The only Mac it runs on without stuttering is our 8-core Mac Pro with the Radeon X1900 XT. Even then, we're running at 1024x768 with low quality settings. I'm told this is because GH III is so polygon intensive.

We've been playing with Guitar Hero III (and Rock Band) on our Xbox 360 and PS3. They both handle the intense polygons with a shrug. And since they are connected to our large 1080i LCD screen and Bose 5.1 sound system, we will have little motivation to play the Mac version during the holidays.

Our favorite "guitar" is the wireless "Stratocaster" that came with the Rock Band special edition for the Playstation 3.
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#50 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:11 AM

View Postrob_ART, on December 19th 2007, 07:39 AM, said:

We've been playing with Guitar Hero III (and Rock Band) on our Xbox 360 and PS3. They both handle the intense polygons with a shrug.

Yes, it's amazing what 3 to 8 CPU cores and a high end dedicated video chip will do for you :)  Surprisingly better performance than a $70 video card Apple puts in the $2,500 Mac Pro's.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#51 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:13 PM

View PostGlendaAdams, on December 19th 2007, 11:11 AM, said:

Yes, it's amazing what 3 to 8 CPU cores and a high end dedicated video chip will do for you :)  Surprisingly better performance than a $70 video card Apple puts in the $2,500 Mac Pro's.

To be fair, that Mac Pro has a $40 video card. If $2500 bought you an $80 video card, it would probably be faster than an XBox 360 or PS3, above the recommended specs, and still stutter awfully in GH3.

#52 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:08 PM

I may be getting hooked on Guitar Hero. The bad thing? Songs start running though your head. The Good thing? At least they are new songs, for me anyway. And somehow it has given me a new appreciation of these songs. :)

Observation: The difference between playing on medium and hard is significant. But I've noticed once you get used to moving your fingers up and down the threads, it starts becoming more second nature.

Anyone play a guitar? I assume that if you can max this game out on expert, you've got some skill, but the skill is different than real guitar playing skill. Is that a fair statement?

#53 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:56 PM

I dont play guitar, but I agree that its definitely significantly different. For one thing, youve got to place your fingers on the right frets and on the right strings. And it helps to be able to pick the strings you want and not just all of them.

Jazz guitar gets harder than rock guitar. Finally, though, Classical guitar is the hardest over all.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#54 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:48 PM

I used to play rock and classical guitar and Teflon is fairly accurate and only failed by omission.  There is much more to it such as the pressure of pick or picks on the strings and fret board, angle of attack, bending strings, memorization, reading music, controlling peripheral and auxiliary equipment, playing in concert with other instruments, and so on and on and on.  The difference between playing a real guitar and Guitar Hero is like the difference between driving a formula 1 race car and pooting around in the bumper car ride at the local carnival.  If playing a real guitar were as easy as Guitar Hero most of us would be renowned rock stars.  It's a game though, it's supposed to be fun and challenging till the next game that captures your imagination, not a lifetime commitment that demands the front burners of your life.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#55 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:06 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on March 30th 2008, 07:48 PM, said:

If playing a real guitar were as easy as Guitar Hero most of us would be renowned rock stars.

That's the illusion, just like charging through the front lines of Call of Duty.

#56 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:57 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on March 31st 2008, 01:48 AM, said:

I used to play rock and classical guitar and Teflon is fairly accurate and only failed by omission.

hey, I did say that i dont/cant play guitar (contrary to the Radiohead song), that was all just on knowing music and having listened to a heck of lot of stuff...

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#57 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:26 AM

View PostHuntn, on March 30th 2008, 07:06 PM, said:

That's the illusion, just like charging through the front lines of Call of Duty.
That's why I love these games.  Whole new worlds of fantasy are opened up to us, then we can go back to finishing our taxes or mowing the lawn.

View Postteflon, on March 31st 2008, 12:57 AM, said:

hey, I did say that i dont/cant play guitar (contrary to the Radiohead song), that was all just on knowing music and having listened to a heck of lot of stuff...
I was trying to give you credit before building on what you said.  Together we can squash Huntn like a mosquito of malfeasance on the rippled arm of justice.  Are you with me man!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#58 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:34 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on March 31st 2008, 09:26 AM, said:

Together we can squash Huntn like a mosquito of malfeasance on the rippled arm of justice.  Are you with me man!

Ha, in your dreams! To spite the TBC/Teflon nefarious conspiracy I've started playing real guitar. (see the post in off topic).

Guitar Hero although it's a simplified simulation of guitar playing, it does seem to reinforce independent finger movement and increases eye hand coordination, skills that would help real guitar playing. The only draw back is that it's like playing a one string guitar. I mean you have those big fat buttons versus itty bitty strings all bunched together just waiting to cut your finger tips to ribbons.

#59 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

failed!!!!!!!!!
me and tBC win.

victory!!!

it might be good as a kind of introduction, but youre better of just getting a guitar and learning for real in the first place.

#60 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:47 AM

View Postteflon, on April 10th 2008, 10:29 AM, said:

failed!!!!!!!!!
me and tBC win.

victory!!!

it might be good as a kind of introduction, but youre better of just getting a guitar and learning for real in the first place.

Never! (as I thinks "what exactly was the conspiracy?") No matter, I'll resist with my last dining breath!!