Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:45 AM

Yeah, the classic app reports should be fairly reliable, but anything concerning OS X you should take with a huge grain of salt. And that's probably why the OS X checker doesn't find any viruses either... it most probably doesn't check OS 9 applications since it's by most standards (unfortunately for some) too old to care about.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#22 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:57 AM

View PostWhaleman, on October 9th 2007, 07:45 AM, said:

Yeah, the classic app reports should be fairly reliable, but anything concerning OS X you should take with a huge grain of salt. And that's probably why the OS X checker doesn't find any viruses either... it most probably doesn't check OS 9 applications since it's by most standards (unfortunately for some) too old to care about.

I specifically had ClamXV scan my OS 9 System folder and Applications (Mac OS 9) folder.

I'm still a little PO'd that a 21st Century virus scanner can't get the job done. There's a reason download sites still offer these golden oldies! And I for one am very pleased to
report that Mac OS 9 saved the day. Classic can't run Disinfectant because there's no control pannel support. Therefore I had to network my System Folder into the OS 9 Desktop and scan it.

yo-mike

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#23 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:12 AM

View Postyo-mike, on October 9th 2007, 02:57 PM, said:

I specifically had ClamXV scan my OS 9 System folder and Applications (Mac OS 9) folder.

I'm still a little PO'd that a 21st Century virus scanner can't get the job done.

That would be because the 21st century virus scanner doesn't check for outdated viruses for the outdated OS. ClamXAV's author himself recommend Disinfectant for OS 9 users in their forums. Trying to use ClamXAV to search classic files would be somewhat like asking an airplane mechanic to look at your plumbing. It doesn't know what it is looking at either, seeing how ClamXav is based upon a UNIX e-mail scanning application and the mac version is more or less a graphical adaptation of that... the authors have made no pretense of supporting older operative systems.

So to remain somewhat safe you would have to run ClamXav solely for the OS X files and Disinfectant for the classic... trying to get one to do the other just won't work.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#24 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:30 AM

View PostWhaleman, on October 9th 2007, 08:12 AM, said:

That would be because the 21st century virus scanner doesn't check for outdated viruses for the outdated OS. ClamXAV's author himself recommend Disinfectant for OS 9 users in their forums. Trying to use ClamXAV to search classic files would be somewhat like asking an airplane mechanic to look at your plumbing. It doesn't know what it is looking at either, seeing how ClamXav is based upon a UNIX e-mail scanning application and the mac version is more or less a graphical adaptation of that... the authors have made no pretense of supporting older operative systems.

So to remain somewhat safe you would have to run ClamXav solely for the OS X files and Disinfectant for the classic... trying to get one to do the other just won't work.
Yes, yes, yes. I love excuses. I'm a former pro ;) . But, listen... ClamXV is a virus scanner for Macintosh. No?

SO WHY THE HECK CAN'T THEY PUT THE DEFINITIONS OF LEGACY VIRUS' ON THE
FRICKEN SCANNER?
  If it's compatible with my current ver. of Mac OS X (Which uses Classic)(End of rant)

Am I just a genius, or what? (I should have been a programmer)

yo-mike

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#25 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:08 AM

View Postyo-mike, on October 9th 2007, 05:57 AM, said:

And I for one am very pleased to report that Mac OS 9 saved the day.
It seems to me that OS 9 was the problem in the first place.  I'm glad you got it straightened out though.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#26 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:49 AM

View Postyo-mike, on October 9th 2007, 09:30 AM, said:

Am I just a genius, or what? (I should have been a programmer)

Brilliant. Let me know when your OS is ready for testing - I'll be first in line to check it out. :)
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#27 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:23 AM

Too bad the latest version of MacOSX doesn't support OS9. Unless you still have a pre-Intel machine.

EDIT: well ok, theoretically, the hardware doesn't support it anymore. But you know what I mean.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#28 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:48 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on October 9th 2007, 09:08 AM, said:

It seems to me that OS 9 was the problem in the first place.  I'm glad you got it straightened out though.

Thanks! :happy: It was.
Mind if I go take a roll in your litterbox? ;)

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#29 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:41 PM

View Postyo-mike, on October 9th 2007, 08:48 AM, said:

Mind if I go take a roll in your litterbox? ;)
Knock yourself out but please, empty the litter from your pockets back into the box before leaving.  Litterbox erosion is the leading cause of me using the laundry hamper in the closet.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#30 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:09 PM

View Postyo-mike, on October 9th 2007, 09:30 AM, said:

But, listen... ClamXV is a virus scanner for Macintosh. No?

No.  There's no such thing as "the Macintosh"; OS X is literally a different operating system compared to OS 9.  The fact that apparently you're getting these viruses for Classic and not OS X tells you which one "rules".  (Hint: it's not Classic....)

--Eric

#31 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:25 PM

View PostEric5h5, on October 9th 2007, 08:09 PM, said:

No.  There's no such thing as "the Macintosh"; OS X is literally a different operating system compared to OS 9.  The fact that apparently you're getting these viruses for Classic and not OS X tells you which one "rules".  (Hint: it's not Classic....)

--Eric
Hi Eric,

That was a just a little mistype. I know that Mac OS is the original Macintosh system and
it was added to up until the last updates (9.2.2) to help integrate into NexT based OS X, which is made up of UNIX, CoCoa, Carbon Apps. etc. Don't get me wrong, thanks for your input.

My point was: Mac OS 9 and Disinfectant AV helped where OS X and it's up-to-date AV ware couldn't help it's own!: It's own Blessed Volume.

So yes, Mac OS X rules the Blessed Volume, but it couldn't help it's own (Classic Environment and it's Apps. get out of a pickle.

No argument, au contraire: Mac OS 9 and Disinfectant won the prize in these circumstances. Mac OS X still rules!

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#32 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:45 AM

View PostEric5h5, on October 9th 2007, 08:09 PM, said:

The fact that apparently you're getting these viruses for Classic and not OS X tells you which one "rules".  (Hint: it's not Classic....)

--Eric
OK. Fair enough. One more thing...

I wonder if any other Mac OS X "Classic" users might have nVIR a or nVIR b?
And...... What if they don'y have a Mac that runs a native Classic OS 9.x, 8.x, etc. to scan their OS X w/Classic Mac????

What are you guys going to do? What if..........................?????

You could have them.

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#33 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:41 AM

View Postyo-mike, on October 10th 2007, 02:45 AM, said:

I don't download any Classic stuff or connect to the internet with Classic (what's the point, when there are no good web browsers or anything for it?).  Therefore the % chance of getting a Classic virus is approximately 0 in my case....

--Eric

#34 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:13 AM

View Postyo-mike, on October 9th 2007, 11:45 PM, said:

OK. Fair enough. One more thing...

I wonder if any other Mac OS X "Classic" users might have nVIR a or nVIR b?
And...... What if they don'y have a Mac that runs a native Classic OS 9.x, 8.x, etc. to scan their OS X w/Classic Mac????

You could have them.
This has been a concern of mine.  In the past I have had a couple of viruses in the old Mac OSes.  I found them running the Mac virus checkers of the day.  One I got from a Hypercard Stack I brought home from college one day, and the other a friend sent to me in a Marathon utility.  I ran Classic virus software up until the day I migrated to OSX, where I started using OSX virus software.  There could be a virus that slipped in as I imported and used Classic apps before I went full steam OSX.  I would like a way to check my old apps, which I still have a butt load of, on my hard disk.  I had assumed that Intego VirusBarrier was doing that, but now I'm not so sure.

EDIT: I just emailed Intego support about it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#35 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:15 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on October 10th 2007, 10:13 AM, said:

This has been a concern of mine....................  There could be a virus that slipped in as I imported and used Classic apps before I went full steam OSX.  I would like a way to check my old apps, which I still have a butt load of, on my hard disk.  I had assumed that Intego VirusBarrier was doing that, but now I'm not so sure.

EDIT: I just emailed Intego support about it.

tBC,
Please, let us know.
Couldn't you get your pre-G3 in from pasture and network your home folder to it, to scan it with your Classic AV ware?

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#36 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:01 PM

View Postyo-mike, on October 10th 2007, 10:15 AM, said:

tBC,
Please, let us know.
Couldn't you get your pre-G3 in from pasture and network your home folder to it, to scan it with your Classic AV ware?
Yes I could do that but I don't need to, thanks for the tip though.  I heard back from Intego support and "VirusBarrier X4 detects and removes all Macintosh viruses, even from the older systems."
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#37 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:49 PM

View Postyo-mike, on October 9th 2007, 12:44 AM, said:

I just scanned my user folder over the local network and Disinfectant 3.7.1 found 8 infected files on my OS X Mac!!!

What have you been downloading?!
Tortillas are sleeping bags for ground beef.

#38 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:49 AM

Two more files corrupted. Located by VirusBarrier X4 in evaluation mode, in ACDsee Pentax photo
App....

Again, thanks for the heads up on VirusBarrier X4, tBC.

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#39 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:45 PM

New trojan for OS X that requires the user to:
1. Go to a shady pr0n site
2. download a codec nobody has ever heard of from them
3. mount the disk image
4. launch the installer
5. imput an administrator password
6 click through multiple screens to proceed with the install

before installing where it then sets up a couple fake DNS servers and a cron job that makes sure they aren't changed. If anybody actually follows through with all that, they deserve to have their computer infected with a trojan.

As it doesn't install itself or self propagate, it still isn't a virus which to my knowledge still doesn't exist for OS X.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#40 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:29 PM

simple solution to this problem then is to not go to shady pr0n sites and download things... stick to the well lit ones.

if this is the best they can come up with, then theyre not trying hard enough me thinks. The best way to get this one propogating through the community would be to create a fake installer for a popular app, so that it installs this instead. Then head out and hack into some of the major app distributors on the net, so versiontracker and macupdate, and then watch people flock to the trojan that way...

not on a pr0n site...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor