#1 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:49 PM

I've downloaded Disinfect for my G3 running OS 9.2.2 and found 1 virus
and ClamXav for OS 10.3.9 and found 2 viruses :blink: !

I'll post the results.

*At least on of the viruses found on OS X was the same as the one for OS X in my Nanosaur game.

~yo-mike

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#2 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:26 PM

Were these "viruses" actually doing anything?

chances are that software is a piece of crap whatever it is.

#3 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:49 PM

There aren't any OS X viruses...if there were, somebody would have made a huge deal about it by now.

--Eric

#4 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:58 PM

Disinfectant was well-respected, but it stopped being updated in 1998. It would still work fine on Mac OS 8.1 and earlier, and detect any viruses released before that time. No idea how well it works on newer OS versions, and it certainly won't find viruses created later on.

ClamAV is also good. It's designed mainly for scanning email, so it will find any Windows viruses that you have lying around. I think it also finds malware in MS Office files.

#5 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:42 AM

View PostTesseract, on September 10th 2007, 12:58 AM, said:

Disinfectant was well-respected, but it stopped being updated in 1998. It would still work fine on Mac OS 8.1 and earlier, and detect any viruses released before that time. No idea how well it works on newer OS versions, and it certainly won't find viruses created later on.

ClamAV is also good. It's designed mainly for scanning email, so it will find any Windows viruses that you have lying around. I think it also finds malware in MS Office files.

Hi!

Thanks for all the replies!
The results are on OS 9 there was found : Nanaosaur was infected by nVIR B.
On OS X Drive there was a mod Classic .Zip that got confinned and
also a Nexuiz data .pk3 file that was infected too.

All I know is, my happy care-free internet using days are over (Not that I was totally careless) :lol:
Anyway, can I use Clam XAV for scanning my Mac 9 Drive over my network?

Also does anyone have some recommendations for AV and Spyware all-in-one App. for OS 10.3.9 that can scan my OS 9  Drive too  over my local network?

Something happened to my Sherlock App. too. It started showing different translation on AppleCare channel, I set everything to proper english Language and did all the trouble shooting I could find. So, I deleted it and now I need to run Pacifist to extract from DVD installer and run combo update. I wonder if a virus or something got a hold of it, and kicked it's butt!

Thanks again!
yo-mike

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#6 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:55 PM

View Postyo-mike, on September 11th 2007, 03:42 AM, said:

On OS X Drive there was a mod Classic .Zip that got confinned and
also a Nexuiz data .pk3 file that was infected too.
It didn't tell you what they were infected with?

Anyway, can I use Clam XAV for scanning my Mac 9 Drive over my network?
I don't see why not, if you have the remote drive mounted on the machine you're running it on.

#7 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:29 PM

Straight up--NVIR B is one of the few legacy viruses for OS 9 and earlier, and it's pretty innocuous.  All it does is beeps at you.  Read about it here.

The other problem might or might not be a virus, and in any event, it's not Macintosh compatible.  The only possible reason (for the time being) for getting virus protection on the Mac is to prevent yourself from sending files with embedded Windows viruses to other Windows users.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#8 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:15 AM

View PostTesseract, on September 10th 2007, 07:55 PM, said:

It didn't tell you what they were infected with?
Nope. I just said VIRUS detected.

View PostTesseract, on September 10th 2007, 07:55 PM, said:

I don't see why not, if you have the remote drive mounted on the machine you're running it on.
Cool. Any recommendations for an All-in-one Malware detector though (Trojans, Spyware, Virus, etc..)?
I know Virex is used for .Mac, is that worth while? Norton?
Thanks,
yo-mike

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#9 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:22 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on September 10th 2007, 08:29 PM, said:

Straight up--NVIR B is one of the few legacy viruses for OS 9 and earlier, and it's pretty innocuous.  All it does is beeps at you.  Read about it here.

The other problem might or might not be a virus, and in any event, it's not Macintosh compatible.  The only possible reason (for the time being) for getting virus protection on the Mac is to prevent yourself from sending files with embedded Windows viruses to other Windows users.

Hey! Thanks for that link Quicksilver!
I've been wondering what was up with that funky beep! It sounded like a digital Broom though (To me, anyway) from Classic environment!
I just  knew  something  funky was  going on.

yo-mike

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#10 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:25 PM

View Postyo-mike, on September 11th 2007, 02:15 AM, said:

I know Virex is used for .Mac, is that worth while? Norton?
Thanks

Norton is a steaming pile. Virex might be OK, as a virus scanner, but it sucks as a Mac virus scanner. The only possible use is to scan for Windows viruses, which you might as well leave to the people who care. Maybe if someone spreads a particularly nasty OSX virus it'll eventually be worth evaluating the market...

I'm guessing your zip/pk3 'viruses' were either false positives or windows viruses. As mods for Quake-engine games you really didn't have to worry about either of them, though it is kind of troubling if those were real viruses being distributed. Where'd you get the files from?

#11 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:00 PM

I would have to agree that it was either false positives (that's completely possible) or windows viruses. Also non executable files don't tend to have viruses... so unless those PK3 files came with some shady windows executable files in them there shouldn't be any viruses in them. But at any rate detecting a virus on a disk and being infected by that virus are two different things. You can download anything you want to your Mac but that doesn't mean it's compatible. So just because a scanner detects a virus it's not automatically like "OMG I'm infected!" Under Classic it is more likely though. But still not as likely as with windows. :P
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#12 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:09 PM

Once again, there are still no OS X viruses...you want to mess up your system by running "anti-virus" software that's likely to cause problems, go ahead.  But don't say you weren't warned.

--Eric

#13 Siriusfox

Siriusfox

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Steam Name:opensiriusfox

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:33 PM

View PostEric5h5, on September 11th 2007, 02:09 PM, said:

Once again, there are still no OS X viruses...you want to mess up your system by running "anti-virus" software that's likely to cause problems, go ahead.  But don't say you weren't warned.

--Eric
Wait a second. Have you forgotten about the Oompa Loompa virus? The one distributed on some rumor board along with a supposed leopard screenshot, that required an admin level user to run it, then required said user give it the admin password, then it would begin destroying 3rd party applications? There was that one. I think that about covers it though.  :happy:
20'' iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 10.6.5, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI X1600

"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." -Doug Larson

#14 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:49 PM

View PostSiriusfox, on September 12th 2007, 09:33 AM, said:

required an admin level user to run it, then required said user give it the admin password, then it would begin destroying 3rd party applications?
That would be a Trojan horse, not a virus.

#15 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:43 PM

View PostSiriusfox, on September 11th 2007, 06:33 PM, said:

Wait a second. Have you forgotten about the Oompa Loompa virus? The one distributed on some rumor board along with a supposed leopard screenshot, that required an admin level user to run it, then required said user give it the admin password, then it would begin destroying 3rd party applications? There was that one. I think that about covers it though.  :happy:

I think you missed a step--aren't you supposed to kick yourself in the balls before you enter your admin password?
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#16 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:13 PM

View PostSiriusfox, on September 11th 2007, 07:33 PM, said:

Anybody who doesn't see a problem with entering an admin password just to look at a picture deserves to have their computer screwed up by whatever virus/trojan/malicious script/worm that they ran.

Edit: Wasn't there a fake Microsoft Office update a while back that was really just a script that deleted some user files?
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#17 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:44 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on September 10th 2007, 08:29 PM, said:

Straight up--NVIR B is one of the few legacy viruses for OS 9 and earlier, and it's pretty innocuous.

Well Geuss What?!!!!

I just scanned my user folder over the local network and Disinfectant 3.7.1 found 8 infected files on my OS X Mac!!!

Mac OS 9 SAVED THE DAY EVERYONE! MAC OS 9 SAVED THE DAY WITH AN OVER TEN YEAR OLD VIRUS SCANNER THAT CLAM XV COULDN'T FIND!!!!!

NEW MAC OS X CRAP!

MAC OS 9 IS STILL RELEVANT FOR TODAY, SO GO FLY A KITE!

Classic rules and OS X drools! (at least in this prime example ;) )

yo-mike

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#18 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:55 AM

You're using a Virus checker from 1997 to check an OS from the 21st century. It has no clue what it's looking at. It's like asking a car mechanic from 1908 to look at your brand new car. He'll compare to what he knows about the T Ford and say all kinds of things are wrong.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#19 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:34 AM

View PostWhaleman, on October 9th 2007, 06:55 AM, said:

You're using a Virus checker from 1997 to check an OS from the 21st century.
It worked though! I have 6 (SIX) documented report pages to prove it. They were all Classic Apps. And it obviously spread. I use older than 10 year old Classic Apps. on my OS X Mac sometimes. It's no mystery that this could happen. Even on a Mac OS X Mac, and especially using Classic.

View PostWhaleman, on October 9th 2007, 06:55 AM, said:

It has no clue what it's looking at.

I have 6 (SIX) documented report pages to prove it. They were all Classic Apps. And it obviously spread.

yo-mike

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#20 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:45 AM

So it wasn't a Mac OSX virus. So you were wrong.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.