37 replies to this topic

#21 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:46 AM

OK, I'm liking Bio a lot more because now I have collected so much crap that my wallet and ammo is full. I might have to crank up the difficulty level b/c the game has become almost too easy.

Big Daddies? Feh.

I don't even bother fighting them. Why would you? Hack a security camera, lure a BD into camera range, then hit him with a bullseye plasmid, bots take care of the rest. Collect cash/adam, rinse repeat. Last night, I took down two BDs at once using this method. Cha-ching.

/shrug

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#22 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

View PostAtticus, on October 9th 2007, 12:46 PM, said:

OK, I'm liking Bio a lot more because now I have collected so much crap that my wallet and ammo is full. I might have to crank up the difficulty level b/c the game has become almost too easy.

Big Daddies? Feh.

I don't even bother fighting them. Why would you? Hack a security camera, lure a BD into camera range, then hit him with a bullseye plasmid, bots take care of the rest. Collect cash/adam, rinse repeat. Last night, I took down two BDs at once using this method. Cha-ching.

/shrug

Atticus

I've taken a 2 week break from BS but should be back into it tonight. I must not have reached the point where alarms and security bots can take one of them down.
Spoiler

#23 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:12 PM

the only problem is that
Spoiler

Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#24 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:20 PM

That's true, but using my method,
Spoiler

View Postteflon, on October 9th 2007, 05:12 PM, said:

the only problem is that
Spoiler

#25 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:40 PM

Even if I keep using Lightning 2 on a rivet gun big daddy, he still seems easily able to take out my hacked grenade turret. Having the handheld grenade launcher however REALLY helps.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#26 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:07 AM

I've found using lighting on BD's is fairly useless because the moment you shoot them, they get unstunned. I admit its useful to zap them if you need to reload or run away, but I prefer just to use electric buckshot + the Grenade launcher.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#27 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:12 AM

Really? I just electric gel them to death. Fully modded thrower is fantastic.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#28 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:31 AM

The electric gel makes it too easy. I find they just swat turrets and bots down no problem, but the chemical thrower ends things right quick.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#29 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:10 AM

View PostDark_Archon, on October 14th 2007, 09:40 PM, said:

Even if I keep using Lightning 2 on a rivet gun big daddy, he still seems easily able to take out my hacked grenade turret. Having the handheld grenade launcher however REALLY helps.

Most of my planning taking down BDs involves lots of grenades. But I want to try the suggestion to lure a BD into range of a hacked security camera and see how well they survive at that point.

#30 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:19 AM

Grenades do work well. Can you lay proximity mines on a throwable object, and telekinese the object at a big daddy to make a supergrenade?

Telekinese, v: To throw an object through the use of psionics/telekinesis.

#31 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:49 PM

Well, I just finished and I gotta say that I can't shake the feeling of being underwhelmed. The ending, especially, was weak (as noted by most of the reviews). It reminds me of my experience with Max Payne in which everyone went ga ga over bullet time, while I completed the entire game w/o bullet time....using only the baseball bat. The AI was so bad you could simply sneak up to a guy and bash his head in. :-)

With Bioshock, I hacked every security camera and turret and as a result never ever never needed to confront a BD, and rarely a splicer. As such, I completed 90% of the game with maxed ammo, health, money, adam, plasmids, etc., etc 'cause I never needed to use them. So towards the end, there wasn't much to do. I suppose one could argue that I should've cranked up the difficulty level or experimented with the various weapons just for fun, but to me, that seems like a symptom of poor game design (much like the endlessly respawning BDs and splicers).

No flames, please! Just want to know if anyone else felt this way or not, and perhaps discuss CONSTRUCTIVELY why or why not. I'm wondering if I'm just an old crank, or was expecting too much.

Who knows?

Atticus

#32 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:15 PM

On Hard, its still too easy. But I liked the way it ended, because there is more to the story that wasn't cleared..
QC.

#33 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:42 PM

View PostAtticus, on October 17th 2007, 04:49 PM, said:

No flames, please! Just want to know if anyone else felt this way or not, and perhaps discuss CONSTRUCTIVELY why or why not. I'm wondering if I'm just an old crank, or was expecting too much.

I'll let you know when I get there. I could imagine being underwelmed by the ending but at this point in time I'm very happy with the overall game. It's just that I've been sidetracked by HL2 E2, UT3 next, Team Fortress 2 after that. Eventually I'll get back to it. :)

#34 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:23 PM

View PostAtticus, on October 17th 2007, 05:49 PM, said:

Who knows?

Atticus

I'm basically in agreement, though I enjoyed it enough to not feel underwhelmed. Great in the context of its contemporaries, rather less so in context of its predecessors. The role-playing element lacked some depth, but then they said it was supposed to be action-oriented. It was too easy, and it was too 'streamlined' for consoles.

On the other hand, the design and atmosphere and general attention to detail were fantastic. It was a lot of fun, too, but lost a little bit towards the end when things just got too easy.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#35 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:08 PM

Bioshock does a 180- you start off weak and scared and at the end the residents feel weak and scared. ;)

#36 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:55 AM

Yes, and people keep forgetting that this is a fairy tale. The end was foreseeable (well, maybe not the part about the main character but still), its populated with evil men, good women, etc.
QC.

#37 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:44 PM

Is there any more enzyme anywhere else in the game, or just in the bee hives? I have just enough for the quest, but not enough to create either of the plasmids.

#38 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:24 AM

Kill some houdinis.
QC.