#1 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:00 PM

One Sentence Bioshock Review- Carnival fun house ride.

Big D vs Big D (Teflon)
Spoiler

Chompers Dental Office- The keys are located
Spoiler

Hacking- You should hack everything you can. It's well worth the effort and it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Fighting Big Daddys- Make sure they are guarding a Little Sister before fighting them or your efforts will result in zero Adam.

First Aid and Eve- It's a good idea to always have a minimum of 4 of each on your person at any time.

Freezing Plasmid- Freezes them solid,
Spoiler

Friendly Bot Management- I've seen specific situations where it is an excellent idea to deactivate your flying security bot. For example he is tagging along and you see there is one of those grenade or machine-gun sentries. Your little friend will get all shot up if he follows you in. I deactivate him, run up or sneak up to the sentry, taking a few hits, zapping/hacking them. Then when we are all a happy family, I go back and reactivate the flying bot.

I've also noticed when they (friendly flying bots) are partially shot up, and are burning, they seem to get better if you deactivate then reactivate them. But whether it makes any difference to the life of the bot is unverified.

Medical Area- In the medical area you'll see two piles of ice blocking doorways-
Spoiler

Morgue Key Pad Door- The code is
Spoiler

Power to the People Station (Quicksilver) My tip is for the "Power to the People" stations (= one time weapon upgrade machines): get the machine gun recoil upgrade first, and the pistol damage second.  They're the two most effective upgrades that you can get.

Security Cameras- They are all around. When you walk in front of a camera, you have about 1-2 sec to GET BACK and you can avoid setting it off. If you set one off, things come after you. I've gotten to the point where I'm looking for the noise and red light they shine as the rotate back and forth. If you do set it off, either remember where the nearest Security Deactivation Station is or reload your last saved game.

Some intel for Peach Wilkens-
Spoiler

Edited by Huntn, 21 September 2007 - 07:26 PM.

#2 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:13 PM

How do you break people after you freeze them?  I've nailed people with guns and the wrench after freezing them, and it doesn't seem like it does any damage at all.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#3 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:14 PM

you need to do all the damage or they thaw back to the health they were previously... so freeze and constantly beat with wrench or freeze and shoot with shotgun.
happily youve got the health bar over their head so you can tell.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#4 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:21 AM

I've lightened my graphics up quite a bit. I notice that when I restart the game, the brightness goes back to default settings. Every time I have to go to Graphic Options and jiggle the brightness setting a tad to get the proper setting to kick back in. Slightly annoying...

#5 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:17 AM

Yep--there's a couple of outstanding bugs in the game.

1.  Bioshock crashes about 50% of the time just before the introductory legalease.

2.  Even if you make it into Bioshock on the first try, the game almost always resets itself to default settings: graphics, audio, controls, brightness--the works.

3.  Widescreen resolutions are unlikely to work (crash after "applying" the resolution), despite the fact that the game designers claim to have designed the game to be preferably played in widescreen mode.

4.  Input delay issues can occur when the framerate dips below 20-25 fps.  These issues are characterized by extremely delayed reactions to the player's input--running for several seconds after the player releases all of the WASD keys, or firing several seconds too late for example.

5.  Random audio crackling and performance slowdowns--probably related.

6.  Excessively high default mouse speed.  Slowing it down causes sluggish cursor behavior in the menus.  In widescreen mode, if you deviate from the standard sensitivity setting of 3 (say, turn it down to 1 to be a little more controllable), the mouse moves faster in the X direction than it does in the Y direction.*

7.  Radio volume level is FAR too low relative to the other sounds in the environment--in many cases, you can barely make out what people are saying.  

*This is based on my experience with the Razer DeathAdder and might not be applicable to every mouse out there.  However, the DeathAdder shouldn't work any different than any other mouse, so I'm definitely putting the blame on 2K.
InsideMacGames.com

#6 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:38 AM

Added a couple of items to the first post.

I've got my Mouse set at the highest sensitivity in-game.

#7 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:30 AM

I've got a tip:

Make sure you buy up as many plasmid slots as possible, it will be well worth it. Also, always try and upgrade your insinerate plasmid seeing as it is the quickest way to kill something without using bullets.

#8 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:42 AM

My tip is for the "Power to the People" stations (= one time weapon upgrade machines): get the machine gun recoil upgrade first, and the pistol damage second.  They're the two most effective upgrades that you can get.
InsideMacGames.com

#9 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:39 PM

View PostLemon Lime, on September 8th 2007, 11:30 AM, said:

I've got a tip:

Make sure you buy up as many plasmid slots as possible, it will be well worth it. Also, always try and upgrade your insinerate plasmid seeing as it is the quickest way to kill something without using bullets.

I've been shying away from incinerate in favor of electro bolt because in the first version of incinerate I usually had to chase the target down as they were running for water to douse themselves in. But seeing them burst into flames does give a certain level of satisfaction especially if it flat out kills them.

View PostQuicksilver, on September 8th 2007, 11:42 AM, said:

My tip is for the "Power to the People" stations (= one time weapon upgrade machines): get the machine gun recoil upgrade first, and the pistol damage second.  They're the two most effective upgrades that you can get.

I like how the machine gun stitches up as you shoot it, not that it does me any good for accuracy. I just think it's a nice (realistic?) effect although I've never shot one.

#10 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:41 AM

The only bug I've experienced so far is the graphic settings reset. Although it doesn't do it every time, just some of the times. Otherwise its been just fine, no crashes.

I noticed it had a high default mouse speed, but I like that. I always have it high for any FPS.

I'll agree about the machine gun. I like the kickback on it too, and compared to other games I've done, its quite minimal.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#11 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:34 PM

Added these blurbs to the first post:

Friendly Bot Management- I've seen specific situations where it is an excellent idea to deactivate your flying security bot. For example he is tagging along and you see there is one of those grenade or machine-gun sentries. Your little friend will get all shot up if he follows you in. I deactivate him, run up or sneak up to the sentry, taking a few hits, zapping/hacking them. Then when we are all a happy family, I go back and reactivate the flying bot.

I've also noticed when they (friendly flying bots) are partially shot up, and are burning, they seem to get better if you deactivate then reactivate them. But whether it makes any difference to the life of the bot is unverified.

Security Cameras- They are all around. When you walk in front of a camera, you have about 1-2 sec to GET BACK and you can avoid setting it off. If you set one off, things come after you. I've gotten to the point where I'm looking for the noise and red light they shine as the rotate back and forth. If you do set it off, either remember where the nearest Security Deactivation Station is or reload your last saved game.

View PostQuicksilver, on September 8th 2007, 10:17 AM, said:

Yep--there's a couple of outstanding bugs in the game.

1.  Bioshock crashes about 50% of the time just before the introductory legalease.

2.  Even if you make it into Bioshock on the first try, the game almost always resets itself to default settings: graphics, audio, controls, brightness--the works.

I've had no crashing issues but I'm not playing via Boot Camp. I can confirm all the graphic settings changing to default settings on game launch if not all the time, then quite often.

#12 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:39 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on September 8th 2007, 12:42 PM, said:

I usually get the Shot Gun Reload time (making it an auto-loader for all intents and purposes), THEN I get the machine gun recoil.  I can do some real damage to big daddies when I can quickly get 4 shotgun shells off in their direction.

#13 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:20 PM

As far as graphic setting automatically resetting to default, when I started the game today. on the main splash page before starting the game in motion,  I selected options/graphics and applied them and once in the game they did not reset to default settings. I'll try this again tomorrow and see if it is consistent.

Some intel for Peach Wilkens-
Spoiler

#14 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:19 AM

A few misc things:

Chameleon Tonic (Physical) I noticed that when you have this,
Spoiler

Also when you finally meet up with Sanders Cohen. (I think that's his name) He's the guy telling you what to do in Fort Frolic. He'll unlock a glass case with
Spoiler
. But there is another glass case that doesn't open. So to get it open
Spoiler

Most of the splicers in Hephaestus are
Spoiler
But they seem to be susceptible
Spoiler

Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#15 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:58 PM

The second and third time I opened the game, I had the graphics settings reset on me, but it hasn't happened since then. The game has never crashed.

How many little sisters has everybody encountered in the Neptune's Bounty area? The level claimed there were only 3, but I found a fourth, and got a message that I hadn't gotten all of them before entering the area where I had to give up my weapons temporarily. There were still two big daddies around looking for little sisters.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#16 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:50 AM

the big daddies wander around even if there arent little sisters. you discover later on that this is how the adam system works...

no idea how you found a 4th in neptune's bounty, i only got 3.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#17 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:20 PM

Ive got a tip for a "nomoneynoevenomunition" scenario. Get your best wrench modifiers, and beat some Big Daddies till they die. They leave lots of cash..

Also, when attacked in groups, kill one, then telikenese a corpse on the other(s), over and over. Quite fun and cheap too eve/munitionwise.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#18 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:33 PM

Does chameleon allow you effectively hide from people you have provoked?

#19 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:14 PM

only if they lose track of you. so you cant just run around a corner and expect to disappear, you have to run around a corner while they werent looking... its a bit touch and go to be honest, and sometimes doesnt work as youd expect, but its still my favourite upgrade so far.

there is one point in the game where the bots will still shoot you up even though youre invisible, but i wont spoil that for you.

#20 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:14 PM

View Postteflon, on October 3rd 2007, 06:14 PM, said:

there is one point in the game where the bots will still shoot you up even though youre invisible, but i wont spoil that for you.
Thanks. I've managed to avoid all storyline spoilers despite everybody talking about this game.