Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:29 PM

View PostDark_Archon, on September 26th 2007, 08:02 PM, said:

What about Civilization 4?

Unless you have really really bad reflexes, I don't think it's a RTS game.  ;)

--Eric

#23 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:36 PM

View Postdojoboy, on September 26th 2007, 06:54 PM, said:

There are 10x more youth playing it.  Competitive does not speak to which is the better game.  If so, that would be like saying soccer/futbol is the best sport in the world because more people play it.  But, in actuality, soccer/futbol is the lowest common denominator - everyone can play soccer.  :P

I'm glad you're having fun with it though.  :)

Soccer is the best sport in the world, anybody can play any sport if you put it that way. Soccer, however, is a very hard sport to play well

(Your heart pounding as you stare at a 5 man wall, sweat drips down your head into your mouth, you take a deep breath and start to run towards the ball, you know that your kick is excellant as soon as you touch the ball, a crazy 30 degree bend from outside the 18' box, around the wall, milimeters from the keepers figures, and then hearing it glide through the netting, answered by an earsplitting roar from the crowd as your the cities redeemer. That is soccer. Heavenly :innocent: , isn't it?)

-Snake

PS: you've inspired me to change my avatar

PPS: yes, i do play soccer, but not as good as my description
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#24 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:33 PM

View PostEric5h5, on September 26th 2007, 08:29 PM, said:

Unless you have really really bad reflexes, I don't think it's a RTS game.  ;)

--Eric

The first post doesn't mention anything about real time. Regardless, Civ 4 is an awesome game.

The only thing more boring than watching a soccer game is watching a baseball game. Football is where it's at, although rugby isn't bad either (preferably Union rules).
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#25 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:58 PM

View PostDark_Archon, on September 27th 2007, 05:33 PM, said:

The first post doesn't mention anything about real time. Regardless, Civ 4 is an awesome game.
The only thing more boring than watching a soccer game is watching a baseball game. Football is where it's at, although rugby isn't bad either (preferably Union rules).

Rugby is good times, watching or playing

Soccer though is great to watch only if you know the teams well that our playing and one of them is your favourite, if that's not the case only the most hardened fans will watch the game. And baseball does suck ;) , unless playing with friends
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#26 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 03:27 PM

View PostDark_Archon, on September 27th 2007, 05:33 PM, said:

by football you mean soccer right ;)

#27 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:52 PM

nope, he means "american football" which is a crazy half attempt at combining rugby with ice hockey... wait, scrap that, combining rugby with extra violence. as if it needed any more...

union rules rugby is so much better than league.

oh, and football sucks, both versions, though rest of the world football is still better than american football.

oh, and you should try watching test cricket... im sure youll love it.
tea anyone?
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#28 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:10 PM

View Postteflon, on October 2nd 2007, 08:52 PM, said:

nope, he means "american football" which is a crazy half attempt at combining rugby with ice hockey... wait, scrap that, combining rugby with extra violence. as if it needed any more...

union rules rugby is so much better than league.

oh, and football sucks, both versions, though rest of the world football is still better than american football.

oh, and you should try watching test cricket... im sure youll love it.
tea anyone?

I watched a test match between Pakistan & the West Indies in '92 (?) in Antigua.  I was even a trainer for the Nevis national cricket team, which won the OECS championship in '91(?).  Not bad for a gringo, eh?

But, futbol (soccer) sucks.  Really, it does.  I know, I know, so many people play it.  But, that's why it sucks - too easy.  And, this all just goes to show you just how much AoE3 sucks.  RoN Rocks!   :P
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#29 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:30 PM

View Postdojoboy, on October 2nd 2007, 09:10 PM, said:

I watched a test match between Pakistan & the West Indies in '92 (?) in Antigua.  I was even a trainer for the Nevis national cricket team, which won the OECS championship in '91(?).  Not bad for a gringo, eh?

But, futbol (soccer) sucks.  Really, it does.  I know, I know, so many people play it.  But, that's why it sucks - too easy.  And, this all just goes to show you just how much AoE3 sucks.  RoN Rocks!   :P

you clearly haven't read my posts earlier in this thread (my review and my soccer description, the long one)

RoN sucks, because it turns into a deathmatch even with the age limitations on and is a very predictable game. YOu can tell usually about half an hour who is going to win and lose but in AoE III it's not as predictable.

AoE II is the best RTS

:nods: :nods: :nods: :nods: :nods: :nods: :nods:      

RoN is the worst RTS

:nods: :nods: :nods: :nods: :nods: :nods: :nods:      

-Snake
:P

#30 SonicMac

SonicMac

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:24 PM

I have had more time to play RON and I have to say I am enjoying it more.  I have been playing quick battle mode one on one against the compouter.  There are features I like better in RON than in Age of Empires.  One is when dragging a box to select your army it only selects your army.  No workers walking through are selected.  Also, after making a worker he finds work automatically.  The game was thought through.

Have been playing on moderate setting and have to say it is nearly impossible to win.  Maybe I just stink.

Anyway, I have been enjoying it more since giving it a chance.

#31 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:25 PM

View PostSonicMac, on October 20th 2007, 05:24 PM, said:

I have had more time to play RON and I have to say I am enjoying it more.  I have been playing quick battle mode one on one against the compouter.  There are features I like better in RON than in Age of Empires.  One is when dragging a box to select your army it only selects your army.  No workers walking through are selected.  Also, after making a worker he finds work automatically.  The game was thought through.

I do agree with you that RoN is a "smarter" game and does more things automatically for you. AoE 3 does have the special drag option where no workers are selected, its called "Enable Easy Drag Military" under Game Options. It is the extra "automaticness" that turns me off from both games though, i like being able to control my economy (and actually feel in control). I think that AoE II had the perfect balance of Military vs Economy, all of the new RTS games (that I have played) are tipped way to the side of military. In AoE II if you left your base for an extended period of time and didn't plan to leave for a while you could come back to find idle villagers galore, all your farms are pretty much expired and half  the wood cutters are sitting around idle. The game forced you to be in control of your economy and play a key role in its success. In RoN and AoE 3 you can essentially forget your economy as soon as you have built all of your mines, farms, etc. (provided you aren't attacked). Also AoE 2 is much simpler game for military because usually whatever the units attack is, it is. In order to figure out how much damage you'll do to an enemy you simply think, "i have an attack of 18 and his hack armour is 4, therefore I'll do 12 damage per hit (18-4=12)". AoE 2 there is attack bonuses for units but they are all normal and expected (eg. pikeman have an attack bonus against horseman). In the newer games everything has either a good or bad attack bonus against everything (eg. my longbowman has a 4x bonus vs infantry, 0.5x against cavalry, 1.5x against non-British archers. 1.25x against british archers). Now I made those exact numbers up but they exist in RoN and especially AoE 3.

I think that the best RTS of all time would be a remake of AoE II, where they kept everything the same except the missions, and maybe added 1 or 2 new features. Naturally it would have amazing graphics and sound but the gameplay would be essentially the same.

Wow that was a long post :pinkpony:

-Snake

#32 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:50 PM

Anyone like Rise Of Legends? Isn't available for mac, I know, but still? (I liked it. Atleast more than RoN)
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.