31 replies to this topic

#1 SonicMac

SonicMac

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:04 PM

I was considering buying Age of Empires III.  I have played Age of Empires II and the Age of Empires III demo.  The demo has nice graphics but I am not impressed with it.  I don't think making a game more complicated makes it better.

I don't know much about Rise of Nations so I was wanting opinions on how Rise of Nations Gold Edition stacks up to Age of Empires III.  I realize RoN is an older game but I am still curious.  Is there a mac demo for RoN?

#2 myamid

myamid

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:54 PM

View PostSonicMac, on August 26th 2007, 07:04 PM, said:

I was considering buying Age of Empires III.  I have played Age of Empires II and the Age of Empires III demo.  The demo has nice graphics but I am not impressed with it.  I don't think making a game more complicated makes it better.

I don't know much about Rise of Nations so I was wanting opinions on how Rise of Nations Gold Edition stacks up to Age of Empires III.  I realize RoN is an older game but I am still curious.  Is there a mac demo for RoN?

Well...  Having played both I have to say I have a net preference for RON... AoE III left me really disappointed.  it's not a bad game, but it's big seller is the eye-candy, which to be honest isn't enough for me.

Plus, I don't know what kinda rig you have, but RoN is really easier on the hardware (it even runs really well in Rosetta).  You won't be disappointed!!

#3 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:01 AM

RoN is my favourite RTS of all time. It's paced better than other RTSes like AoE, Warcraft and their ilk and has a number of innovative game play touches that just makes it seem, I don't know, better balanced and more fun. At least for an old guy like me. And while it's graphics are slightly, slightly "dated" the game still looks and plays wonderfully.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#4 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:07 AM

RoN!
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#5 maCasey

maCasey

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

I'm also going to have to go with RoN. AoE3 is obviously a newer, shinier RTS with excellent graphics (but that's about all it is)
MacBook Pro 15", 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 1 Gb RAM, Radeon X1600, 10.4.10

#6 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:40 PM

In my opinion, RoN is the best RTS ever made (ahead of AoE series, Warcraft, C&C's, etc.).  Nothing else has the great variety, huge maps, and polish that RoN does, not to mention the all important 'OMG that was so fun' factor.

#7 SonicMac

SonicMac

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for making my decision.  I will be purchasing Rise of Nations gold edition.  I suspected that although RoN is an older game that the game play would be better.  Also, since I own a 17" Intel Core Duo that going with a little older game would be the better decision.  Sounds like a win win for RoN.

#8 myamid

myamid

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:18 PM

View PostSonicMac, on August 28th 2007, 08:34 PM, said:

Thanks for making my decision.  I will be purchasing Rise of Nations gold edition.  I suspected that although RoN is an older game that the game play would be better.  Also, since I own a 17" Intel Core Duo that going with a little older game would be the better decision.  Sounds like a win win for RoN.

well actually with intel chipsets that logic doesn't always hold true...  Older games are often PPC only, so they run in Rosetta which sometimes renders a 2-3 yo game unplayable.
RoN however play relatively well in Rosetta so you should be golden!  And if you have GMA950 gfx, you're better off with it as AoE III probably wouldn't have run too well on that.

#9 maCasey

maCasey

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:52 AM

View Postozzy, on August 28th 2007, 06:40 PM, said:

In my opinion, RoN is the best RTS ever made (ahead of AoE series, Warcraft, C&C's, etc.).  Nothing else has the great variety, huge maps, and polish that RoN does, not to mention the all important 'OMG that was so fun' factor.
RoN over Starcraft?!! Blasphemy.
MacBook Pro 15", 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 1 Gb RAM, Radeon X1600, 10.4.10

#10 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:06 PM

View PostSonicMac, on August 26th 2007, 07:04 PM, said:

I own both games and I would have to say that its completely up to your preferance.

i purchased RoN after reading how everyone loved the game and how many game of the year awards it got but i was severly disappointed and havnt played it in about a year (actually just sold it to a differant member of this forum). heres a comparison of the two

Rise of Nations:
RoN covers all of history starting with cave men and ending at post modern times. if your a fan of a particular time period (medival, colonial etc.) you probbly wont like RoN as much as you'll like a game devoted to that time period. RoN has an interesting economy style were villagers are tasked on a resource and you can forget agout them (unless they are killed of course, resources never run out in RoN or run out very,very slowly). this style of economy leads to a deathmatch near the end of the game and there are even techs that allow units to be created instantly (thus removing alot of strategy from the game). Something i like about RoN is that there is a loads of civilizations. can't remeber how many but theres more then in any other RTS that ive played (except maybe AoE II with conquers expansion, that would be close but RoN might have more). for units you can battle in the land and sea and air in later ages. missiles (including nukes) are brought into play in the 2nd last age. RoN runs excellant on my intel iMac with max graphics

Age of Empires III:
AoE 3 is set in the colonial era as you know and has excellant graphics and sound. the game however, in my opinion want as good as AoE II. AoE 3 has some good ideas such as home city but the game is alot more complicating then previous ensemble studios games. AoE 3 sort of copies RoNs economy because villagers do not need to go anywhere to drop off resources, the resources just go instantly to your stockpile as they are collected. there are also buildings you can build that create infinite food and coin if villagers are tasked on them, wood however runs out as the game progresses. there arent that many civs in AoE 3, even with the expansion.

Bottom Line:
both games kind of sucked, but i would chose AoE III out of the two. best RTS game ever and the most played at my house is AoE II a nice simple but hard RTS that has a simple but effective scenario creater and lots of people to play with online.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#11 SonicMac

SonicMac

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for the detailed reply, sneakysnake!  Although your reply is helpful I have already purchased Rise of Nations.  I have not received it yet.  

I too own Age of Empires II.  I have played it quite a bit.  Haven't for a long time but do like playing it.  WarCraft is a much better game in my opinion.  I still play Frozen Throne against the computer.  I am not an online gamer.

I will try to post back after I play RoN.  I bought it at Amazon for 37.99 no shipping.

#12 SonicMac

SonicMac

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:47 PM

I received Rise of Nations and have played it off and on for a couple of days.  Have to say guys, I don't care for it much.  For comparisons I went back and gave the Age of Empires III demo another try.  Went through all the tutorials but have not played a compaign.  I think gameplay is better in AEIII.  Rise of Nations has too many things that need upgrading constantly.  Maybe it just feels like it with its setup.

I know the majority of you said you would choose RoN but so far I am dissappointed with it.  I will give it more time maybe I will adjust to it.

#13 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:50 PM

View PostSonicMac, on September 8th 2007, 03:47 PM, said:

I received Rise of Nations and have played it off and on for a couple of days.  Have to say guys, I don't care for it much.  For comparisons I went back and gave the Age of Empires III demo another try.  Went through all the tutorials but have not played a compaign.  I think gameplay is better in AEIII.  Rise of Nations has too many things that need upgrading constantly.  Maybe it just feels like it with its setup.

I know the majority of you said you would choose RoN but so far I am dissappointed with it.  I will give it more time maybe I will adjust to it.

If you like Age-specific game-play, you can set it up that way.  I encourage you to stay w/ it a bit longer, because I just do not see how AoE3 is better.  IMHO.

#14 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:57 PM

View Postdojoboy, on September 8th 2007, 09:50 PM, said:

If you like Age-specific game-play, you can set it up that way.  I encourage you to stay w/ it a bit longer, because I just do not see how AoE3 is better.  IMHO.
I have to agree: AoE III is fun for a while, but get's very repetitive pretty soon.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#15 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:45 PM

One thing that can be helpful is also to cycle the little info box in the bottom right corner to always show what upgrades are available in what buildings.  I would give it some more time, because I agree with the above two posters, and can't see how AoE III could be considered better or more fun.

#16 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:18 PM

View PostSonicMac, on September 8th 2007, 03:47 PM, said:

the campaigns in RoN are aweful if you want a good campaign i realy like the Age of Mythology one. RoN is more of an skirmish/multiplayer game but their conquer the world games get obvious who is going to win really fast.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#17 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:36 PM

View Postozzy, on September 8th 2007, 05:45 PM, said:

One thing that can be helpful is also to cycle the little info box in the bottom right corner to always show what upgrades are available in what buildings.  I would give it some more time, because I agree with the above two posters, and can't see how AoE III could be considered better or more fun.

i don't know why but i like AoE III better (I don't like either of them that much though). I didn't do to long of an review on AoE III because you already had a demo. I did a better one at macgamestore. you can see by going to AoE III there and clicking on the reviews at the bottem of the page. My reviews called "A Good Game...By Itself"

#18 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:15 PM

I was never much of a fan of RoNs Conquer the World campaigns either. It was very much so tacked on, I believe.

But, RoN is probably the best skirmish/multiplayer game I've ever played. It is an excellent, excellent title with a high level of polish and a good balance of units across the board. The civilizations all have unique bonuses that aid them in certain situations and are fairly well balanced (a few seem underpowered in this area) and I loved the ability to cap the tech age you play in. Don't feel like having those futuristic techs that instantly create units or super-size your economy? Turn 'em off! Simple as that. Sick of getting hit by V2 missiles every ten seconds? I wrote a script in about two minutes that eliminates them and nukes from the game.

My only gripe was that in the way unique units, some nations that were powerful hundreds or thousands of years ago have standard run of the mill soldiers in the later tech areas. Example: the Romans have awesome Classical and Medieval infantry (unstoppable if played correctly) but those same units turn into your everyday assault infantry in more modern ages while civilizations like the Americans get uber-powerful Marines while suffering generic spearmen in Medieval times.

RoN is more about who can create the most stable and powerful economy: having a large army will only get you so far in this game. You need to have the economic power to leverage your conquered territory, extend your borders, keep your army fresh (and keep supply carts nearby) and so on. Sure, you might march an army into the heart of enemy territory and sack one of his towns, but it isn't really going to hurt him unless you're capable of holding that area or he'll simply take it back.

One wonder that I thought was WAY overpowered is the Statue of Liberty. If you build it then you your troops suffer zero attrition in enemy territory, meaning that you can simply run troops all over the map without supply carts slowing them down. Building that sucker means you can truly wage a shock and awe campaign.
I Can't Feel My Torso Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#19 Brtnboarder495

Brtnboarder495

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:04 PM

aoe3 is 10 times more competitive.

and fun IMO.

#20 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:54 PM

View PostBrtnboarder495, on September 25th 2007, 08:04 PM, said:

aoe3 is 10 times more competitive.

and fun IMO.

There are 10x more youth playing it.  Competitive does not speak to which is the better game.  If so, that would be like saying soccer/futbol is the best sport in the world because more people play it.  But, in actuality, soccer/futbol is the lowest common denominator - everyone can play soccer.  :P

I'm glad you're having fun with it though.  :)