#21 DoreanGrae

DoreanGrae

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:02 AM

View Postteflon, on August 29th 2007, 12:59 PM, said:

dude, hes in austria, vienna... same place as where im half from. though ive not been back there for a few years.

these games are only out in north america so far.
Doh, missed that. Apologies.

Still new here.
DoreanGrae

MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, X1600, OS 10.4.10
8GB iPhone

#22 atari

atari

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:08 AM

View PostDoreanGrae, on August 29th 2007, 06:29 PM, said:

It is available. I picked it up at Apple 5th Ave yesterday.

Yeah,5th Avenue Apple Store,no problem,just a busride away  :cool:
27 inch quad beastie ordered :)

#23 DoreanGrae

DoreanGrae

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:09 AM

View Postatari, on August 29th 2007, 01:08 PM, said:

Yeah,5th Avenue Apple Store,no problem,just a busride away  :cool:
:blush:
DoreanGrae

8GB iPhone

#24 atari

atari

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:09 AM

View PostDoreanGrae, on August 29th 2007, 07:02 PM, said:

Doh, missed that. Apologies.

Still new here.

Game still looking good,ie,have you come across any technical glitches so far?

#25 DoreanGrae

DoreanGrae

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:12 AM

View Postatari, on August 29th 2007, 01:09 PM, said:

Game still looking good,ie,have you come across any technical glitches so far?
That it is. I pumped up my graphics settings last night just to see, and with almost everything on high it ran rather poorly. Horrible frame rate (reminded me of how the original C&C ran on the Mac I had before I got my original blueberry iMac). I dropped the shadows and animation detail down and it was fine. Particle effects, terrain detail, model detail, and even water detail seem to be no problem for my computer. It's the shadows that do it. Game still looks great with them on low though, so no big deal.
DoreanGrae

8GB iPhone

#26 atari

atari

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:19 AM

View PostDoreanGrae, on August 29th 2007, 07:12 PM, said:

That it is. I pumped up my graphics settings last night just to see, and with almost everything on high it ran rather poorly. Horrible frame rate (reminded me of how the original C&C ran on the Mac I had before I got my original blueberry iMac). I dropped the shadows and animation detail down and it was fine. Particle effects, terrain detail, model detail, and even water detail seem to be no problem for my computer. It's the shadows that do it. Game still looks great with them on low though, so no big deal.

Excellent,thanks,really looking forward to some C&C action.

#27 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:13 PM

shadows kill every game, especially on the mac in OGL...
also, animations mainly take up RAM, i believe.

what happens with the tiberium? other people have been saying that it kills their frame rate.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#28 myamid

myamid

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:19 PM

View Postteflon, on August 29th 2007, 02:13 PM, said:

shadows kill every game, especially on the mac in OGL...
also, animations mainly take up RAM, i believe.

what happens with the tiberium? other people have been saying that it kills their frame rate.

yeah...  I kept the shadows & shader intensive goodies to low and managed to bump alot of stuff to medium (or high) with little performance hit at 1650x1080 (2ghz CD iMac with x1600).

As for tiberium... well for some odd reason is created havoc in the Tutorial, but in the game you practically don't notice it.  I'm liking the way this game plays the more I play it.

The only annoying thing is the WineServer process that stays stuck when you exit the game...  I have to go and kill it every time :(

#29 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:56 PM

View Postmyamid, on August 29th 2007, 09:19 PM, said:

yeah...  I kept the shadows & shader intensive goodies to low and managed to bump alot of stuff to medium (or high) with little performance hit at 1650x1080 (2ghz CD iMac with x1600).

As for tiberium... well for some odd reason is created havoc in the Tutorial, but in the game you practically don't notice it.  I'm liking the way this game plays the more I play it.

The only annoying thing is the WineServer process that stays stuck when you exit the game...  I have to go and kill it every time :(

That's interesting you mention the tutorial, since it was slowing down a lot of things in the tutorial for me as well.  However, it was also causing some slow down in one of the skirmish maps I was playing (granted...it had a TON of tiberium).  However, in the GDI campaign, which I think I've almost finished, it hasn't been a problem.

Last night I bumped up all settings to high and left shadows at low at 1024x768 and it ran well (no change from medium) on my MBP 2.16 w/ x1600 and 2 GB RAM.

#30 DarylF2

DarylF2

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:09 PM

My copy of C&C3 arrived yesterday from Apple.com and its working well. Launch times are a little annoying, buth with medium/high settings and shadows off the game plays smoothly and pretty fast on my Mac Pro 3.0GHz Quad Xeon with X1900XT.

One concern I have is that the Mod SDK and World Builder apps don't seem to be available for the Mac OS X version of the game. Does anyone know if these are coming out for the Mac?

#31 Nicholas

Nicholas

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:18 PM

View PostDarylF2, on August 31st 2007, 07:09 PM, said:

One concern I have is that the Mod SDK and World Builder apps don't seem to be available for the Mac OS X version of the game. Does anyone know if these are coming out for the Mac?
I very much doubt it.

So it plays well then  ?  Can you play against PC people over the interwebs ?
My web site & Blog - Good for what ails you...

#32 DarylF2

DarylF2

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:29 PM

View PostNicholas, on August 31st 2007, 11:18 AM, said:

I very much doubt it.

That's disappointing. I hope they port the Mod SDK and World Builder to the Mac as well. Cider should make that easier, too...

I haven't tried a multiplayer game yet.

#33 myamid

myamid

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:37 PM

View PostNicholas, on August 31st 2007, 02:18 PM, said:

I very much doubt it.

Yes playing in multiplayer against PC players will be possible, so long as EA keeps the versions in sync.  Right now the Mac relase is a few dot releases behind (.05 vs. .07 I believe), but the EA support site seems to indicate that the Mac patch should arrive shortly.

#34 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:39 PM

have you tried raising the settings to maximum? youre GPU and set up should be able to handle that no problems.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#35 DarylF2

DarylF2

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:09 PM

I think we Mac users have C&C3 1.0.6, at least I'm pretty sure that is the version I installed yesterday.

Does anyone know where to place user-created C&C3 maps so that I can play them in C&C3 for Mac?

#36 Ronbo

Ronbo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:06 PM

Anyone noticed a problem with system sounds (alert beep, new mail sound, etc.) after quittng C&C3?  I've noticed a couple of times after quitting the system sounds are silent.  I checked Activity Monitor to see if any C&C files were still running (they weren't), and the Sounds Preference looked normal.  Other sounds, like iTunes or videos are fine.  Restarting fixes the problem, which never happened before installing C&C.  Any ideas?

#37 myamid

myamid

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:58 PM

View PostRonbo, on August 31st 2007, 04:06 PM, said:

Anyone noticed a problem with system sounds (alert beep, new mail sound, etc.) after quittng C&C3?  I've noticed a couple of times after quitting the system sounds are silent.  I checked Activity Monitor to see if any C&C files were still running (they weren't), and the Sounds Preference looked normal.  Other sounds, like iTunes or videos are fine.  Restarting fixes the problem, which never happened before installing C&C.  Any ideas?

Yeah....  the "coreaudiod" process doesn't quit sometimes...  Just kill it and you'll be back to normal.

View Postteflon, on August 31st 2007, 02:39 PM, said:

have you tried raising the settings to maximum? youre GPU and set up should be able to handle that no problems.

I tried raising a few to high (textures, animation, groud details, etc...).  At native res & with 1xFSAA, performance is OK.  there are a few elements that are just murderous (as mentionned before, like shadows).

If I put everything at the builtin "medium" settings, performance goes down dramatically (I'm suspecting shadows, but I havent narrowed it down).  I essentially put things at low and gradually brought things up from there.

#38 Ronbo

Ronbo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:41 PM

View Postmyamid, on August 31st 2007, 01:58 PM, said:

Yeah....  the "coreaudiod" process doesn't quit sometimes...  Just kill it and you'll be back to normal.
Didn't realize that process was generated by C&C.  Thanks for the tip!

#39 DarylF2

DarylF2

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:11 PM

View PostDarylF2, on August 31st 2007, 12:09 PM, said:

Does anyone know where to place user-created C&C3 maps so that I can play them in C&C3 for Mac?

I figured this out. The maps (actually, the map's folder with the .map file, its xml files, and its preview images) go into "~/Library/Preferences/Command and Conquer 3 Preferences/p_drive/Application Data/Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars/Maps/"

#40 myamid

myamid

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:23 PM

View PostRonbo, on August 31st 2007, 06:41 PM, said:

Didn't realize that process was generated by C&C.  Thanks for the tip!

No problem ;) This isn't the 1st time I've seen this unfortunatly...  I've had another game (can't remember which, but definatly not ciderized) that did the exact same thing.