80 replies to this topic

#41 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:37 PM

[quote name='charmin' post='326500' date='September 19th 2007, 02:07 PM']First RPG I played was FF7. First one that left any kind of impression, anyway.

NWN and BG are both fairly heavyweight RPGs, being based on D&D rules. They can baffle the best of us at times - I still don't fully understand 3rd edition rules (NWN). I don't know enough about Oblivion to say whether or not it would be suitable for a 'first' RPG - console RPGs tend to be more accessible than PC-only ones, so maybe it would be?[/quote]

Oblivion is suited to 1st person view, Nwn is suited for 3rd. Oblivion is going to have far superior graphics. Far far far superior.
Never played Oblivion, so this may not entirely apply, but I did play the bejeezus out of Morrowind and I imagine they're pretty much the same. From an ruleset standpoint, Morrowind was a skill based system instead of a class based (D&D) system. Skill based systems are good if done well, and Morrowind wasn't really done well. At high levels characters became really homogenous. Need to pick a lock? No problem. If you are running a high intelligence wizard, just use a lock pick spell. If you are running a high strength fighter, just bash the lock open. If you are running a high dexterity thief, pick the lock. Towards the end of the game, this started bugging me. It was kind of an "all roads lead to Rome" approach. Anyhow, Bethesda game tend to be pretty forgiving when it comes to character building. Nwn is forgiving in class selection (by throwing in henchmen). Pick your poison.
Compared to the SPECIAL system used by Fallout, it was really lame. That being said, Morrowind was a hoot of a game... just not groundbreaking in an RPG sense. And anytime someone mentions Fallout and a Bethesda product, I feel the need to express reservations about Fallout 3.

Maybe consider picking up Morrowind for the cheap and Bootcamp it before playing Oblivion. Morrowind and NWN are kinda contemporary to each other, where as Oblivion is clearly enjoys a couple of generations of improvements over NWN.

#42 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:25 PM

In Oblivion everything levels up along with your PC. I don't know if that would annoy you, but I think it would annoy me.

#43 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:57 PM

View PostTesseract, on September 19th 2007, 06:25 PM, said:

In Oblivion everything levels up along with your PC. I don't know if that would annoy you, but I think it would annoy me.
Curiously, the only positives I've heard about Oblivion come from people who do not typically play RPGs. All the negatives I've heard about Oblivion come from folks who love RPGs. Go figure. ;)

#44 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:17 AM

View PostRev-O, on September 19th 2007, 08:57 PM, said:

Curiously, the only positives I've heard about Oblivion come from people who do not typically play RPGs. All the negatives I've heard about Oblivion come from folks who love RPGs. Go figure. ;)

What, just because Oblivion lacks any depth whatsoever in the role-playing department? ;)

I actually play RPGs and liked Oblivion, for what it's worth. It's not going to go down in my list of classic games, because of it's flaws, but it was a fun game.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#45 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:42 PM

View PostRev-O, on September 19th 2007, 07:37 PM, said:

Oblivion is suited to 1st person view, Nwn is suited for 3rd. Oblivion is going to have far superior graphics. Far far far superior.
Never played Oblivion, so this may not entirely apply, but I did play the bejeezus out of Morrowind and I imagine they're pretty much the same. From an ruleset standpoint, Morrowind was a skill based system instead of a class based (D&D) system. Skill based systems are good if done well, and Morrowind wasn't really done well. At high levels characters became really homogenous. Need to pick a lock? No problem. If you are running a high intelligence wizard, just use a lock pick spell. If you are running a high strength fighter, just bash the lock open. If you are running a high dexterity thief, pick the lock. Towards the end of the game, this started bugging me. It was kind of an "all roads lead to Rome" approach. Anyhow, Bethesda game tend to be pretty forgiving when it comes to character building. Nwn is forgiving in class selection (by throwing in henchmen). Pick your poison.
Compared to the SPECIAL system used by Fallout, it was really lame. That being said, Morrowind was a hoot of a game... just not groundbreaking in an RPG sense. And anytime someone mentions Fallout and a Bethesda product, I feel the need to express reservations about Fallout 3.

Maybe consider picking up Morrowind for the cheap and Bootcamp it before playing Oblivion. Morrowind and NWN are kinda contemporary to each other, where as Oblivion is clearly enjoys a couple of generations of improvements over NWN.

buying morrowwind is a good idea but i don't think i could do it knowing in the back of my mind while playing the game that a way superior version of it is a 5 min drive and $50 away. I think though that i have decided on NWN. :nods:

Sorry all you guys who wanted BG 2 or fallout, i may get em later if i like NWN

-Snake
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#46 Cain

Cain

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:00 PM

You may also want to try out the demo for NWN to get a taste of the gameplay which you can find at:

http://macgamefiles.....php?item=17716

#47 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

View PostCain, on September 20th 2007, 04:00 PM, said:

You may also want to try out the demo for NWN to get a taste of the gameplay which you can find at:

http://macgamefiles.....php?item=17716

thank you very, very much

you don't know how glad :lol:  i am to see that demo

-Snake
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#48 Cain

Cain

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:47 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on September 20th 2007, 01:54 PM, said:

-Snake

No problem. You can also download the full game manual at:

http://images.trygam...manuals/NWN.pdf

It's 113 pages long and has a pretty in-depth explanation of the game mechanics and the different classes you can play. Enjoy!

#49 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:36 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on September 20th 2007, 03:54 PM, said:

-Snake

NWN tech demo has been around for quite a while, but seeing you didin't know I can see why you are excited.
What is a man?

#50 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:43 AM

The built in storyline for NWN sucks, but some of the player created content is amazing. In my opinion, it isn't worth getting the game unless you check out the player-made content. But factoring in the community, it is a very worthwhile purchase.

Shadowlords, Dreamcatcher, and Demon alone make the game purchace worth it.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#51 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17379 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:13 PM

View PostDark_Archon, on September 21st 2007, 10:43 AM, said:

The built in storyline for NWN sucks, but some of the player created content is amazing. In my opinion, it isn't worth getting the game unless you check out the player-made content. But factoring in the community, it is a very worthwhile purchase.

Shadowlords, Dreamcatcher, and Demon alone make the game purchace worth it.
As someone considering getting NWN, I'm interested in what player created content you would recommend.  I've heard it mentioned that they are better than the original game, but I've never heard any names thrown around (that I recognized).
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#52 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:39 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on September 21st 2007, 01:13 PM, said:

As someone considering getting NWN, I'm interested in what player created content you would recommend.  I've heard it mentioned that they are better than the original game, but I've never heard any names thrown around (that I recognized).

I really enjoyed NWN, though I will admit that plot in the Original Campaign is a touch weak. On the other hand, the official Hordes of Underdark expansion was amazing. In terms of player-created modules, if you go to the NWN vault and check out the "Hall of Fame" modules: http://nwvault.ign.c...content=modules, you wont go wrong. Beware, though, if you really get into this (how is it that you, of all people, haven't gone this route yet?) you will be doing nothing else for the next 3 months.
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#53 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17379 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:56 PM

View Postjgwdoc, on September 21st 2007, 01:39 PM, said:

Beware, though, if you really get into this (how is it that you, of all people, haven't gone this route yet?) you will be doing nothing else for the next 3 months.
K thanks, I've got that bookmarked.  RPGs are too addictive for me, I have to rein back hard on it.  A man's got to know his limitations.  I might still wait on it, hopefully someday I'll be bedridden from a horrific industrial accident and I'll finally have the time to give the genre the attention it deserves.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#54 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:31 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on September 21st 2007, 05:56 PM, said:

RPGs are too addictive for me, I have to rein back hard on it.  A man's got to know his limitations.

I hear you. That's why I've avoided MMORPGs. I feel they would lead to unemployment.
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#55 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:35 PM

View Postjgwdoc, on September 21st 2007, 09:31 PM, said:

I hear you. That's why I've avoided MMORPGs. I feel they would lead to unemployment.

I don't see how that follows...you just become a gold farmer instead of whatever lame medical job you have now.  Duh!

--Eric

#56 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:14 PM

View PostEric5h5, on September 21st 2007, 07:35 PM, said:

I don't see how that follows...you just become a gold farmer instead of whatever lame medical job you have now.  Duh!

--Eric

Nah, I would never have the patience for that. I'd want to be King Hell Sorcerer of Doom and rule the cosmos.

#57 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:34 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on September 22nd 2007, 06:13 AM, said:

I have listed my recommendations in a few posts previously:
http://www.insidemac.......st&p=222768
http://www.insidemac.......st&p=257877

More recently I have greatly enjoyed these, all available from the Vault:
  • The Rose of Eternity (Part 1: The Coming, and Part 2: The Cry of the Beloved)
  • An Ancient Heart (and its creatively-named sequel An Ancient Heart II)
  • Runes of Blood
  • Saleron's Gambit (5-part series)
  • Darkness over Daggerford

#58 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17379 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:56 AM

I've copied and pasted all the posts and links.  K, thanks a bunch guys.  That ought to last me.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#59 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17379 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:23 PM

Holy cow.  MacSoft doesn't sell it anymore and Amazon.com wants 65 bucks for the game.  I think I'll pass on that rip off.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#60 DavidM

DavidM

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:28 PM

Go Gamer has NWN for $29.95