Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3302 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:42 AM

View Postmorback, on September 3rd 2007, 11:36 AM, said:

I'm currently running thru BG2 for the x-tausend's time. IMHO it's the best DnD based game in terms of gameplay and story (I play my RPG offline sine it's the only way to keep the flavor and immersion for me).
NWN1 is nice and cute, but the story lacks ideas and twists. It's a lot simpler to understand the mechanics though, compared to BG2. Actually, NWN taught me how to play BG2 properly...

One thing going for NWN1/2 is the PRC and mods...I'm curious to see that on OS X.

Conclusion: BG2 SoA + ToB and NWN1 + expansions.

how does BG2 compare with NWN1 graphically
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#22 cleansanchez

cleansanchez

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:53 PM

Plus by playing NWN1 now you're kind of schooling yourself up for NWN2. Kinda a giant tutorial. There's nothing more frustrating than going in cold on an instant classic game and struggling at the start. No way do I want to play like a noooob when I get NWN2!!!!

#23 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:06 AM

View Postmorback, on September 3rd 2007, 04:36 PM, said:

I'm currently running thru BG2 for the x-tausend's time.
[...]
Conclusion: BG2 SoA + ToB and NWN1 + expansions.

Seconded. I, too, am currently working through BG2 again (even though it's somewhat buggy), and then plan to take the same character through ToB and NWN to kill time until I can import him into NWN2 :D (I hope). Big Metal Unit FTW.

Also, Fallout 1 and 2 are both on the Mac. Never forget this.

BG2 runs pretty much fine on Intel Macs (Although PPC - Intel networking caused me no ends of problems with it). Never tried to play Fallout on Intel.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#24 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the computer, the fridge and the nursery

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:26 AM

View Postcharmin, on September 5th 2007, 05:06 AM, said:

BG2 runs pretty much fine on Intel Macs (Although PPC - Intel networking caused me no ends of problems with it). Never tried to play Fallout on Intel.

Fallout 2 seems to run fine on my Intel iMac, alhough I haven't gotten very deeply into it.

#25 morback

morback

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:47 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on September 3rd 2007, 11:42 AM, said:

how does BG2 compare with NWN1 graphically

Well, I have to say I kinda like BG2 better. Less fluff, more meat. Not to mention prestige classes! Plenty'o'em!
BG2 is 2D isometric (i think it's called)
NWN1 is full 3d with dynamic light support (handle a lot of loight sources simultaneously. I was quite impressed when it came out).

But let's not forget the solo campaign of NWN1 taste's like slig scrotum  :blink:  whereas BG2 shines.
But NWN1 was alwaysd meant to be a tool to create your own adventures to play with friends.

Story: BG2
Shiny stuff and modability: NWN1

#26 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:08 AM

I've been playing NWN off and on since it came out and I still haven't gotten through the first campaign. I have the expansions, but I promised myself I would finish the first campaign before I moved on to the expansions or player-made modules. I just get extremely annoyed with some aspect of the game, or it will remind of a better game that I want to play, and I'll stop playing for about a year, then when I come back I'll have no idea what's going on so I'll delete my progress and start over. Would you recommend I just forget the original campaign and move on?

#27 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:15 AM

If you don't have the expansions installed, install them. There's all kinds of goodies in them that you can use in the original campaign.

Then, make your PC a cleric, and take either the fighter or monk henchman. Make frequent use of these spells: owls's wisdom, bull's strength, endurance, darkfire, magic vestment, magic weapon, and anything destructive that has an AOE (hammer of the gods, flamestrike, etc). This will remove any need to worry about whether you can win a battle. You probably won't even need healing spells or potions at all (you just rest when your buffing spells run out).

Now power through the game without having to worry about retrying parts of it due to that pesky "death" thing!

#28 morback

morback

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:47 PM

eeeeeeeeh, no idea what hat suggestion was about but here's my answer to you Milbop:

Drop the first campaign.
Play the last two.

You have to create a new char or start from lvl1 again when you enter the first expansion. Both expansions though are run-ins.

#29 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:03 PM

No no no! Don't listen to MILBOP! Take a thief primary and then get a couple levels of Shadowdancer as a prestige! With Hide in Plain Sight you can kill anything in the game! Single most unbalanced skill in Nwn!
Credit due to Whaleman for pointing this out! I was a doubter but now I'm a believer!

#30 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3302 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:33 PM

View PostRev-O, on September 6th 2007, 08:03 PM, said:

No no no! Don't listen to MILBOP! Take a thief primary and then get a couple levels of Shadowdancer as a prestige! With Hide in Plain Sight you can kill anything in the game! Single most unbalanced skill in Nwn!
Credit due to Whaleman for pointing this out! I was a doubter but now I'm a believer!

just my opinion but i like games to be challenging, a good many RPG's im heard either turn into a mindless killing game when your character gets leveled up, or they turn into dungeon crawls, something that i don't like to much either. Why does almost every rpg have to have the last 15 hours of gameplay inside some dark, dragon infested sewage tank? (i dunno what NWN has so feel free to correct me if im utterly when it comes to that game ;) )
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#31 Prophet_Magnetic

Prophet_Magnetic

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:11 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on September 7th 2007, 09:33 PM, said:

just my opinion but i like games to be challenging, a good many RPG's im heard either turn into a mindless killing game when your character gets leveled up, or they turn into dungeon crawls, something that i don't like to much either. Why does almost every rpg have to have the last 15 hours of gameplay inside some dark, dragon infested sewage tank? (i dunno what NWN has so feel free to correct me if im utterly when it comes to that game ;) )

It's not that bad in NWN, and I would more say that the strict ending is worse.

Though I will agree with you about 15 hours gameplay in a dungeon. I was just as frustrated, when I realised that I would be hacking through hordes of siths in Kotor, and that would be the ending (well not a dungeon, but who cares :cool: ).

#32 biedawo

biedawo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:16 PM

View Postcleansanchez, on September 4th 2007, 06:53 PM, said:

Plus by playing NWN1 now you're kind of schooling yourself up for NWN2. Kinda a giant tutorial. There's nothing more frustrating than going in cold on an instant classic game and struggling at the start. No way do I want to play like a noooob when I get NWN2!!!!

I enjoyed playing the BG campaigns okay.  NWN campaign wasn't as good, and ended up playing some of the custom campaigns instead.  Better, but not great.

What's really stood out for me is the online play in NWN1.  Gemstone is the server that really captured my attention, as the players tend to be more mature.  Not huge amounts of roleplay, but the world is designed to be challenging.  I'd highly recommend it.  (check out the gemstone forums before getting too carried away building some weird character.  the challenge of the server really means that you need to design your character carefully to be useful)

However, should say that NWN1 is not a universal binary.  It was giving me a lot of problems (sluggish and crash-prone) when I first switched to a macbook pro.  Just tried again this past week, and it seemed to be much better.  No idea why--maybe things got better with one of the system updates, or network conditions were different, or... ?

Unfortunately, doesn't sound like NWN2 play is all that great.  Developers were initially really excited by it, but sounds like performance hasn't been great.  WoW seems to be the best game in town for us macs... for now....

#33 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3302 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:41 PM

i don't think i'll get WoW cause i want a single player game

Okay, hold on to your hats men :o , were heading back to Oblivion. I was reading about oblivion at IGN and they said a low to mid end PC would have problems with the game would my iMac be considered a high-end PC (you can see its specs in my signature) i'm already assuming that my good MBP is a high-end PC. Please answer this question before you flood this topic once again with a NWN sales talk. NWN is still very much in the running for the RPG but Oblivion is also in the running as well as BG.

#34 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:24 AM

I found the performance to be somewhat lacking on my 2.16GHz C2D, 2GB, 256MB, but not awful. The game was entirely playable (performance-wise at least - I'm saying nothing about the lack of enjoyment).

Edit: Come to think of it, that was using Vista Business, which may have had some impact.

BG2 BG2 BG2 BG2 BG2
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)

#35 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3302 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:05 PM

View Postcharmin, on September 10th 2007, 06:24 AM, said:

I found the performance to be somewhat lacking on my 2.16GHz C2D, 2GB, 256MB, but not awful. The game was entirely playable (performance-wise at least - I'm saying nothing about the lack of enjoyment).

Edit: Come to think of it, that was using Vista Business, which may have had some impact.

BG2 BG2 BG2 BG2 BG2

your card was the ATi x1600 right, because the Nvidea 8600M in the new MBPs should run it better (plus i got 4 GB of RAM, dunno if that makes a differance over 2 GB though)

#36 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:34 PM

Fallout.
Get it.
Love it.

Okay, so it has really dated graphics but it is one of the yard sticks that RPGs should be measured by. Good Story. Multiple paths. Skills that make a difference. Careful character generation. Could be a little bigger (world-wise) and reward exploration (lacking big time in this category)  but it  is one of the best ever.  And it runs fine under Rosetta, except for some minor crashing and the whole end cinema is jacked up. It's also kinda spendy for a game that is like a thousand years old. Compared to Fallout, the Elder Scrolls stuff is crap. Well, from a RPG stand point. Elder Scrolls stuff has killer graphics and (honestly) they are fun, but the are really shallow from and RPG standpoint. A shame that no one has put the effort into making a game with the substance of Fallout with the eye candy of Oblivion.
And, NO, I don't have any faith in Fallout 3.

#37 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:40 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on September 9th 2007, 08:41 PM, said:

i don't think i'll get WoW cause i want a single player game

Okay, hold on to your hats men :o , were heading back to Oblivion. I was reading about oblivion at IGN and they said a low to mid end PC would have problems with the game would my iMac be considered a high-end PC (you can see its specs in my signature) i'm already assuming that my good MBP is a high-end PC. Please answer this question before you flood this topic once again with a NWN sales talk. NWN is still very much in the running for the RPG but Oblivion is also in the running as well as BG.

The MBP would likely handle it no problem, though not with everything turned way up. I'd say it would handle it well enough to enjoy the eye candy though. As for the iMac, I'm sure there are others here who have run it on an X1600 - you might check one of the many Oblivion threads, or see if anyone wants to volunteer an opinion.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#38 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:49 AM

your card was the ATi x1600 right, because the Nvidea 8600M in the new MBPs should run it better (plus i got 4 GB of RAM, dunno if that makes a differance over 2 GB though)
No, should have pointed that out - my card is the 7600GT, which by all accounts is knocking out better rates than the 8600M at the moment. I doubt the extra memory would make too much of a difference.

Fallout.
Get it.
Love it.

Currently replaying Fallout (I've done Fallout 2 to death). It's starting to show its age a bit, but except for the annoying time limit it's still fantastic. Feel free to skip the first game completely and go straight into Fallout 2. You may miss a couple of in-jokes, but the game is a real improvement over the first IMO.

#39 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3302 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

Okay, I still can't decide between NWN, BG 2 or Oblivion. What is it with the non first person RPG that is better or worse then a first person one (oblivion). Oblivion looks to me like a better intro RPG game but NWN and BG 2 seem to have more depth.

Now remember that i don't know a thing about RPGs. the last one i played was the Atlas, Gift of the Aramia demo that came with Wingnuts 1 that i was playing on my cube

-Snake

#40 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:07 PM

First RPG I played was FF7. First one that left any kind of impression, anyway.

NWN and BG are both fairly heavyweight RPGs, being based on D&D rules. They can baffle the best of us at times - I still don't fully understand 3rd edition rules (NWN). I don't know enough about Oblivion to say whether or not it would be suitable for a 'first' RPG - console RPGs tend to be more accessible than PC-only ones, so maybe it would be?