Bioshock in one week-raise yer hand if yer gettin' it!

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#41 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:36 AM

wow, color me impressed.

i might just give this mofo a chance.

figures that it comes out *now* though. where was BioShock during my gaming drought? i'm drowning in great new releases -- Overlord, the Mythos beta -- and I just got Jade Empire too. Yargh!

#42 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:18 AM

ok, right, so you know that thing where i can play through most games with low FpS and not notice/care??
well thats kind of come back to haunt me, cos i discovered fraps, which showed me that on high i go from 14-30, medium from 20-35, and low from 30 to around 40...
so.... it all depends on what you can put up with really.
give me a small amount of time and ill have a pretty detailed set of comparison screenshots to show you, with the accompanying details.

btw, if the texture detail makes next to no difference, so put that on high is youve got 256mb VRAM, or medium if youve got 128mb. but what really hits you is the high level shaders, which give you an average extra 10FpS. the games still pretty without it, but looks more like UT2004 than UT3, theres just a lack of luster to a lot of things.

anyway, wait for the screenshots, or just get the demo yourself. its a good demo.

EDIT: enjoy
i didnt exactly do this in a scientific way, and sometimes forgot to take down the fps, or took down the fps and forgot to do the screenshot, and halfway through decided to start doing low as well as medium and high... so its a bit of a mish mash.
also, because of the way that changing settings worked, sometimes a texture wouldnt load in properly, which explains why at high settings theres a plain brown suitcase in one of the pictures....
oh, and sorry about the lowish res pictures. ill try and rectify that later on.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#43 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:58 AM

Bah, here I am 500k away from my PC or XP install disc...
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#44 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:01 AM

ZOMG BIOSHOCK TODAY HEAD GONNA ASPLODE

/Steam

/Unlock preload

/Dual 2.66 w/Radeon X1900 and 2GB RAM

/win@life

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#45 Fourth Horseman

Fourth Horseman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:25 AM

View PostAtticus, on August 21st 2007, 08:01 AM, said:

/win@life

And by "life" you mean "play games?"   :lol:
- FH -
• MacBook Pro 15" (2010): 2.53 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, Hi-Res (1680x1050) display, MacOS X 10.7.1
• PowerMac G5: dual 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 PC & Mac Edition, Dell U2410 24" LCD, MacOS X 10.5.8
• PC: Core i7 960 3.6 GHz, Asus P6X58D mobo, 12 GB DDR3-2000MHz RAM, Radeon HD5970, Samsung 245BW 24" LCD, Win 7 64bit

#46 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:05 AM

HAHHAHHAHHHAHHAA (manical laughing)... Who says the Pentium 4 is dead!?! Who says I've been deceived!?! Bioshock plays quite well on my outdated P4 hardware!  :w00t: :thumbsup: :heart: :rotfl: :sabber: :lol: :pinkpony: Gamershell (demo downloads) comes through again!! I was sure sweat'n it after the Lost Planet demo brought my system to its knees.

How do you see fps? I need a reality check.

#47 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:35 AM

get yourself fraps
www.fraps.com
thats what i used because i couldnt get the console down to type in stat fps.

what settings did you run on?

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#48 Fourth Horseman

Fourth Horseman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:45 AM

Aw man, I should have called in sick today. I want to play this game! Is it 5:00 yet?  :blush:
- FH -
• MacBook Pro 15" (2010): 2.53 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, Hi-Res (1680x1050) display, MacOS X 10.7.1
• PowerMac G5: dual 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 PC & Mac Edition, Dell U2410 24" LCD, MacOS X 10.5.8
• PC: Core i7 960 3.6 GHz, Asus P6X58D mobo, 12 GB DDR3-2000MHz RAM, Radeon HD5970, Samsung 245BW 24" LCD, Win 7 64bit

#49 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:44 AM

View Postteflon, on August 21st 2007, 11:35 AM, said:

get yourself fraps
www.fraps.com
thats what i used because i couldnt get the console down to type in stat fps.

what settings did you run on?

Bioshock auto loaded with everything on high if you can believe that. 1024x768. You know how the first time you run most games, they do a little hardware check and set graphics accordingly? I don't know what to make of that. Although my hardware is above the minimum requirements. Mouse responsiveness was slow so I moved graphic settings to medium, then noticed I could up the mouse sensitivity so I'm going to experiment and go back to high. However I really did not notice any real difference between the medium and high setting. My card does support some of the high end effects but the game still looks great. The water effects are most spendid. Atmospheric effects are really good. The Splicer attack I witnessed at the beginning gave me the willies, which is pretty hard to do these days.

I just briefly looked at it and noticed no saves. :( So it looks like everytime you play you're starting from scratch.

Regarding Fraps, how substantially different is the free version from the paid version? (if you know)
Thanks!

Bioshock System Requirements:

Operating Systems:
Windows XP (with Service Pack 2) or
Windows Vista

Minimum System Requirements:
CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz Single Core processor
System RAM: 1GB
Video Card: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 128MB RAM (NVIDIA 6600 or better/ATI X1300 or better, excluding ATI X1550).
Sound Card: 100% direct X 9.0c compatible sound card
Hard disc space: 8GB free space

Recommended System Requirements:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo processor
System RAM: 2GB
Video card:
DX9: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT or better)
DX10: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 or better
Sound Card: Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series (Optimized for use with Creative Labs EAX ADVANCED HD 4.0 or EAX ADVANCED HD 5.0 compatible sound cards)

Important Note: Game requires Internet connection for activation

#50 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:08 PM

View Posthambone, on August 20th 2007, 05:02 PM, said:

Any performance reports on x1600/256MB MBPs with 1GB of RAM? I'm wondering if its worth the bother to install Steam (yet again) and download the demo, or if I should use that time to wash cars and cut lawns to save up for a 360.

Having experience playing the 360 version both demo and full retail, it's not worth playing on the xbox.
What is a man?

#51 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

View PostIchigo27, on August 21st 2007, 01:08 PM, said:

Having experience playing the 360 version both demo and full retail, it's not worth playing on the xbox.

Care to elaborate? Are the 360 graphics sub par? It's hard for me to tell looking at these links: Game Zone, Team XBox, but they do not look as crisp as on my PC.

I just finished the demo and when your opponents collapse it's very satisfying, and the ending where it cuts to a variety of game-play sequences is a big eye full- very impressive. I noticed that it's sometimes tricky getting the right weapon ready when a bad thing is unexpectedly bearing down on you, kinda like Ripley getting her pulse rifle up in time. I was partially successful but several times got my brains bashed in. It's a very unsettling feeling. One vs one, with wrenches, the crazies have the advantage... ;) It's right click to to switch between weapons and plasmids, then scroll wheel to select the particular weapon. The in-game advice is zap em, then rap em. What does not help is when the scroll wheel is non-responsive. :blink:

I'm getting the full version. It's very true to the System Shock 2 atmosphere. I've just not decided on whether it will be xbox360 or my PC.

Edited by Huntn, 21 August 2007 - 02:16 PM.

#52 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:47 PM

ill give it a go with my x360 controller later on. which will be the final time i play the demo, as im almost getting a bit sick of sitting through the opening (i did it several times)

the main difference between high and medium is that the textures are considerably blurrier, so if youve got 256mb VRAM, you need to put that up to high. also, the high level shaders are missing, which is what adds life to everything really. suddenly the steps at the beginning glisten with wetness, metal looks more metalic and shinier...
of course, seeing as its the main performance setting, it is also what will seriously kill your frame rate with a low end card.

check out my opinion and photo album above to get the main differences in looks and performance.

as for fraps, dont pay, it does frame rate and screenshots and benchmarks even if you dont pay. seeing as you just want it for the framerate dont pay.

#53 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:52 PM

I'll have to boot into Vista later to try this. What are the chances that my 7300 GT can handle it @ 1440x900 w/ medium settings? I'd be content with 1440x900 low settings.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#54 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:01 PM

View Postteflon, on August 21st 2007, 02:47 PM, said:

check out my opinion and photo album above to get the main differences in looks and performance.

as for fraps, dont pay, it does frame rate and screenshots and benchmarks even if you dont pay. seeing as you just want it for the framerate dont pay.

Thanks for the picture album link in your previous post. Higher settings give the environment sparkle and are well worth it if your hardware can hack it. But even without the sparkle, the game is very playable.

Comparing it to Doom3, this seems much more energetic, open, and dynamic in ways to crack the nuts (you know the crazies). Then there is the big fellas to deal with.  :cool:

My question is, if plasmids and genetic tampering turned Rapture's inhabitants into crazy people, how do you get away with it and keep your sanity? Or are you heading for the edge yourself?

Thanks for the fraps info! I'll play through a second time on medium settings and see how I like those.

#55 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:05 PM

View PostDark_Archon, on August 21st 2007, 08:52 PM, said:

I'll have to boot into Vista later to try this. What are the chances that my 7300 GT can handle it @ 1440x900 w/ medium settings? I'd be content with 1440x900 low settings.

i think youll probably do quite well at medium settings. just remember to turn the textures to high if youve got 256mb of VRAM. theres a drop of only 1 frame per second, and the fidelity is noticeably improved (see above link!). unless youre a frame per second junkie and cant cope with anything less than 60, i reckon youll be alright with it.

Comparing it to Doom3, this seems much more energetic, open, and dynamic in ways to crack the nuts (you know the crazies). Then there is the big fellas to deal with.
when quake 4 came out, everyone said it was the game that D3 shouldve been. That was wrong cos of the story. q4 wasnt about the lone man in a world gone mad, this is the feel that d3 should have had. not people jumping out of closets, but a little girl singing 'row your boat' while plunging through a guys innards while you meticulously have to plan a way to kill her guardian.

My question is, if plasmids and genetic tampering turned Rapture's inhabitants into crazy people, how do you get away with it and keep your sanity? Or are you heading for the edge yourself?
i wouldnt say the plasmids and genetic tampering caused the craziness, id say that it was humanity's natural craving to having power. As a moral, its kind of a story of legalising drugs. but in this case, they dont send you on a trip, they give you the power to electrocute people, or set them on power.
im not quite sure what im trying to say, except that its a pretty decent look at the potential depravity of humanity, which is where society really could end up some day.

#56 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:30 PM

The newest beta drivers (163.44) supposedly help a TON with those high-level shaders.  You know, I tried a different set of drivers a little while back, and they worked fine.  Based on the reports that I've been seeing, I think you've got at least an 90% chance of nothing bad happening (you'll either see no performance improvement due to some Apple weirdness, or a speed boost).  It's very possible that I just happened to pick one of the two or three bad driver revisions when I did it the first time.  If you want to be extra careful, just set a restore point right before you try out the 163.44 drivers so that you can go back in case something happens.  I've been hearing positive things about the 8600 GT and Bioshock at 1024x768, so if I wind up getting the game, I'll install the drivers and let you know what I think.  There also seems to be a heck of a lot of commotion over 2K's fake widescreen (they just cut off the top and the bottom, so you actually lose some screen real-estate) and various audio issues, so I would highly expect to see more than a couple updates during the course of this week.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#57 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:09 PM

these beta drivers are only for desktop GPUs. there is no support for the 8600M cards, as i discovered.
soon as some come out that do ill be giving those a try.

as a point of reference between DX9 and DX10, i see next to no difference in a screenshot i took and a screenshot that i found with DX10 enabled.
DX10
DX9

for more info on the widescreen screw over, head here

ok, im gonna stop hounding this thread now, except for when ive tried the X360 controller tomorrow.

#58 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:01 PM

View Postteflon, on August 21st 2007, 05:05 PM, said:

i wouldnt say the plasmids and genetic tampering caused the craziness, id say that it was humanity's natural craving to having power. As a moral, its kind of a story of legalising drugs. but in this case, they dont send you on a trip, they give you the power to electrocute people, or set them on power.
im not quite sure what im trying to say, except that its a pretty decent look at the potential depravity of humanity, which is where society really could end up some day.

Well it's obvious that the inhabitants, at least the inhabitants you meet in the demo are psychos. :)

I'm not really clear on the timing of the story either. Rapture was built in the 1940-50 time frame and are you crash landing and discovering it in modern times 60 years later? Or are you supposed to be back then too say a year or two later? I did see a sign or something saying something like "Happy New Year 1959". I guess I'd have some trouble thinking the place has been falling apart for 60 years but has what look like sane people being attacked. Maybe I should just go with the flow or find a link online regarding the story and setting, or (lightbulb) it's a mystery to be discovered within the game!  :nods: . I all ready did some looking and found no adequate description. I just want to know what year this story is happening in- present day or ?

edit: Ok I got it on the second time through the demo, the intro clearly says "1960". So the place has had maybe a year to fall apart. ;)
Next Question: I wonder if the full version will start differently than the demo? I'm guessing no, but I remember the Prey Demo seemed to be much different than the retail version.

Also I'm having a little trouble with Vita Chambers to restore you from death. Exactly how do you end up in one of those? Ok, just stop thinking and go with the flow.

Edited by Huntn, 21 August 2007 - 07:28 PM.

#59 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:04 PM

View Postteflon, on August 21st 2007, 04:09 PM, said:

these beta drivers are only for desktop GPUs. there is no support for the 8600M cards, as i discovered

It's a one-line change in the installer's .ini file. 'not supported', but that doesn't mean they don't work.

#60 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:47 PM

I'm really impressed at how well my P4 and ATI X1300 performs with this game. I must have the Unreal Engine to thank for this. Hip hip hurrah! The Unreal Engine has been coming through for gamers since the 90s. With the following settings the game looks outstanding and is very responsive! No fps info yet. And I'm getting the knack of zapping, then rapp'n em. The splicers I've run into so far go down like a lifeless sack of flour with one rap of the wrench after being zapped. It's a little unsettling to hear the combination of the metallic sound of the spanner with the wet thunk of that wrench smashing flesh. Playing on medium difficulty.

Game reminds me of The Shining with the 40ish music and Art Deco. The demo ending is a 2 minute best-of reel showing multiple ways to manipulate the environment and put'em down hard. It looks like these movies were made with a lower resolution... maybe xbox resolution? My game looks much sharper. You know the xbox360 is supposed to be leading edge. If the resolutions in the xbox version are sub-par, that's a slap in the face for leading edge don't you think? :)

Plasmids will make any magic lover envious! When your hand turns into a harbinger of death with fire or electricity it's a feeling of power. Just don't let it go to your head. :D

There are players who are going to say this is just System Shock 3 with updated technology. I'm going to have to let the game settle in for a while and get over the technology to think about it with a clear head. There are multiple ways to approach problems, plasmids are cool, the atmosphere is impressive, and while the game demo appears linear to me, I'm reading that the game is pretty open in that you can explore any ole which way. At this point in time, I label the game as "must own".

Further info on my settings:
Actor Details - Medium
Texture Details- High
Resolution: 1024x768

These values are on:
Vertical Sync
High Detail Shaders
Real Time Reflection
Distortion
Force Global Light

Shadow Maps and High Detail Post Processing are turned off.