26 replies to this topic

#1 Hoxtongue

Hoxtongue

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:05 PM

Just wondering what information is trickling down the vines. Any interesting information to share?

#2 Magnum

Magnum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:26 PM

Here and here.
2.71828183 * 3.14159265 * 299792458

#3 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:14 AM

And here.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:16 AM

Is it just me or is StarCraft II looking like StarCraft: 3D Graphics Edition?  :huh:

Maybe I'm getting the wrong impression. Would be nice if it were more of a new game though.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:24 AM

View PostFrost, on August 8th 2007, 01:16 PM, said:

Is it just me or is StarCraft II looking like StarCraft: 3D Graphics Edition?  :huh:

Maybe I'm getting the wrong impression. Would be nice if it were more of a new game though.

I was wondering about that too - they do seem pretty eager to appease all of the SC fans who don't want to see major changes made.

Still, there are enough new units that it seems like it will be interesting.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:24 PM

View PostFrost, on August 8th 2007, 07:16 PM, said:

Hmm... when I said something like that right after the announcement, I got pretty much bashed.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:55 PM

View PostJanichsan, on August 8th 2007, 01:24 PM, said:

Hmm... when I said something like that right after the announcement, I got pretty much bashed.
Were you talking to Koreans?  :lol:
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#8 -=SHODAN=-

-=SHODAN=-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:26 PM

Well the SP campaign preview looks awesome. And pretty funny too.
I do like the new units and unit upgrades though.

#9 Magnum

Magnum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:40 PM

Yeah, the SP is much different, most likely longer.
2.71828183 * 3.14159265 * 299792458

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:21 PM

View PostFrost, on August 8th 2007, 08:55 PM, said:

Were you talking to Koreans?  :lol:
Nope. I dared to post in this forum.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#11 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:09 PM

Is it just me or is StarCraft II looking like StarCraft: 3D Graphics Edition?  

More of the same seems like a good thing to me - evolutionary change is acceptable for a 10 year old game, especially when the gameplay is SO good people are still playing it..

Really, is Age of Empires 2 that different from Age of Empires 1? Or Red Alert 2 vs. 1? Or Warcraft 2 vs. 1? or Empire Earth 1 and 2?

What are real time strategy sequels but mainly graphical improvements with a smattering of new units after all is said and done?
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:16 PM

And then people are complaining when certain game developers dare to release basically the same game each year with just some graphical updates... :glare:

#13 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:18 PM

View Postbookman, on August 8th 2007, 04:09 PM, said:

More of the same seems like a good thing to me - evolutionary change is acceptable for a 10 year old game, especially when the gameplay is SO good people are still playing it..

Really, is Age of Empires 2 that different from Age of Empires 1? Or Red Alert 2 vs. 1? Or Warcraft 2 vs. 1? or Empire Earth 1 and 2?
What are real time strategy sequels but mainly graphical improvements with a smattering of new units after all is said and done?
People are still playing Marathon too (albeit far less than SC :P), but that doesn't mean it couldn't use a hefty overhaul and new take if you're going to leap over a decade into the future of technology. It doesn't have to be so dramatic a departure it outright ruins the gameplay (a la WarCraft 3 and the uber-hero units), but more than just being a glorified expansion pack would be very nice.

It's the same crap as from Brood War, they were going to do all new stuff for the UED, but worried about fan reaction so they were a slightly upgraded version of the Dominion. That may have pleased the guys who play it nonstop all day on battle.net and don't want the slightest change to mess with their highly developed strategies, but I'd rather have a new game be NEW.

Just my opinion of course, and your point is still well-taken. UT200x for example probably would've been far better off changing much less than they did. I don't think anyone truly loved UT2003, and while there's no shortage of people playing UT2004 today, but there's also no shortage of hardcore UT fans who were disgusted at the Quake3-ified gameplay and did a retro-migration.

Basically what I'm worried about is firing up StarCraft 2, playing, and then going, "This is fun and all, but it's the same game I've been playing off and on for 10 years... it just looks nicer and has some new units."

Eric5h5:

#14 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:39 PM

The revisions are fairly significant, and the game will not, I think, feel like SC 1.5.

The graphics engine is gorgeous.

The tactical possibilities are considerable.

The game is only partway done, so nothing so far is promised or permanent.

If you want some decent video of some of the current (ie, pre-alpha) work with the terrans, look here:

http://www.gamespot....lizzcon-preview
"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard, and floor it.
Floor it.  That's technical talk."   - SRV

#15 -=SHODAN=-

-=SHODAN=-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:16 AM

I just love the cute little animations of every single unit.

#16 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:17 AM

View Post-=SHODAN=-, on August 9th 2007, 11:16 AM, said:

I just love the cute little animations of every single unit.
Did you notice the various death animations? For example, look in the first gameplay trailer for Terran marines getting cut in half and crushed.

#17 -=SHODAN=-

-=SHODAN=-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:56 AM

Yeah when the blue marines attacked they got blown up by the Siege tanks, and when the Battlecruisers attacked the red marines they writhed around on the ground.
Aaaaargh can't wait to complete the storyline.

Edit:Its also cool how you can now lower your supply depos.

#18 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:09 AM

Blizzard's under some pressure to minimize changes, oddly.  Go to pretty much any active Starcraft fansite, check out their forums, and you'll find a bunch of people decrying every possible thing that will be different from Starcraft.  People even complain about things that are unequivocally much-needed upgrades to Starcraft's archaic interface.  I've seriously seen many of those players make complaints that such improvements as automatically sending new workers to mine, and the ability to select multiple buildings at a time to build units more efficiently, would Remove All The Skill From The Game!!!!

Personally, I think the way development is going looks pretty good.  A few old units are still around, and they're basically the core fighting units zealots, marines, siege tanks which should serve to retain the overall feel of each faction, but most of the other units have changed, and there are some new game mechanics as well, allowing for a lot of new tactical possibilities.

And, thankfully, Blizzard is ignoring the complainers and updating the interface to function more efficiently.  I think that might actually be what makes it fully "Starcraft 2" to me.  Not having to fight the interface to accomplish everything I want to do will allow for focusing on the tactical aspects of the game, which is what it should all be about.

#19 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the computer, the fridge and the nursery

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:18 AM

Basically what I'm worried about is firing up StarCraft 2, playing, and then going, "This is fun and all, but it's the same game I've been playing off and on for 10 years... it just looks nicer and has some new units."

I would actually be OK with that.  Or even some minor gameplay changes to the old game (just things like automating repair queues and stuff like that*.)  If that were literally ALL that they did I would consider it worth it, and every innovation beyond that is just gravy.  I think the one thing worth fearing is just missed opportunities on Blizzard's part, and it looks like it's a bit early in the day to decide if they're guilty of that or not.

I place all my hopes on the single-player campaign, as I don't play online, and the footage I've seen from Blizzcon indicates that there will be a few different ways to play it.  But I'm really hoping they don't go for what seems to be the standard Blizzard "everyone betraying everyone else" plot, which seems to be their way of allowing you to play the same character as a good guy and then a bad guy (or as Race A, then B, then C).  

*It's pretty crazy how fierce and vitriolic the debates over micromanagement (and its lessening or increasing) can get on the Battle.net forums.  A lot of people seem to feel that it's the heart of the original Starcraft. It also reminds me how much more pleasant and civilized this site is than so many game sites...

EDIT: I just realized I was (above) repeating a lot of what Badger said about the interface, and the debates thereupon. So, er, I'll just say that I second most of what you just said.  Time for more coffee.

#20 -=SHODAN=-

-=SHODAN=-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:14 AM

Hehe I guess I won't be going to that forum.

But that happens with every game. People say they don't like some of the features etc... and want it to be like this etc...or else they won't buy it etc...
Too bad for them. I just wanna play it as how the developers want it to be, and so far it looks really fun. The single-player seems cool in how there are side-stories and you explore your ship. Also you purchase new units and unit upgrades (like shields for marines) on the ship itself for SP when you gain more money.

But I wanna see more zerg!!!! (Maybe they haven't been quite as finished compared to protoss and terrans)