#41 Silver Samurai

Silver Samurai

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:49 PM

View PostFendersrule, on August 7th 2007, 08:12 PM, said:

And on the downside..still a turdy Graphics chip for the mini.
Ya I know, but it got upgraded. lol
Just saying. lol
Mac Mini- 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
5GB RAM, 500GB HD + 250GB and 160GB External HDs

Rev.B-Macbook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
1GB RAM. 60GB HD

2nd Gen 8GB iPod Touch + OS 3.1

#42 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:54 PM

It just shows that it isn't dead yet that's all. ;)
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#43 Disc

Disc

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:49 AM

Just think Apple managed to get a few Games companys to come back to the Mac and then stuck those GFX cards in them  :blink:

Well done Apple thats right show the PC Gamers the error of there ways with those GFX Cards in the new iMac  :lol: :lol: :lol:  

I actually quite like the new looking iMac though. Makes the screen stand out more. Although 24 inch one doesn't need any help  :lol:
Mac Pro powered...

#44 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:14 AM

Y'know, speaking as someone who's bought every single iteration of iLife, I'd like a free upgrade to the new version once in a while. Even if it were only for DotMac subscribers, something...

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#45 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:56 AM

View PostHoxtongue, on August 7th 2007, 09:38 PM, said:

I honestly don't know why the Apple guys would do this and just throwing it out there, do you think that enough complaints may warrant a change?

Apple (aka Steve). Doesn't. Like. Games. Complaints about hardware, especially from gamers, fall on deaf ears at campus (aka Steve). Games aren't really stuff you do on computers, you do iMovie and iPhoto and Garageband and browse the web and send email and write stuff. Games? Sheesh, don't be silly.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#46 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:17 AM

View PostLord Brixton, on August 8th 2007, 07:14 PM, said:

Y'know, speaking as someone who's bought every single iteration of iLife, I'd like a free upgrade to the new version once in a while. Even if it were only for DotMac subscribers, something...
Or a heavy discount on iLife '08 when you buy Leopard, for example.

#47 cleansanchez

cleansanchez

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:36 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on August 8th 2007, 10:56 AM, said:

Apple (aka Steve). Doesn't. Like. Games. Complaints about hardware, especially from gamers, fall on deaf ears at campus (aka Steve). Games aren't really stuff you do on computers, you do iMovie and iPhoto and Garageband and browse the web and send email and write stuff. Games? Sheesh, don't be silly.

Geez what a let down! Don't Apple realise that a lot of people do serious stuff AND also want to play games. In every office I have worked in (quite a few!) across a broad cross section of business, I have seen people play games. Whether on company time or before or after work is irrelevant. Fact is we ALSO want to play games.

Now, for home office users the need to play games is even more obvious.

We play games more often than we edit our home movies in iMovie.

I've been putting off a new iMac purchase for months and months and then Steve dishes up this? :(

I am in the market for three computers. But not these iMacs. So I'll buy two eBay iMacs of the previous models and pre-owned and wait for the third. I'll sell my Powerbook (a maxed out G4 17") to finance an MBP or whatever pro desktop I can afford.

Basically I'll mark time until we REALLY get new iMacs.

Damn, I've got a feeling that Apple can only do so much with these pizza box iMacs. THIS incarnation must surely be the end of the line? They wouldn't put a new dress on the shell again? Would they?

We had the original rainbow variety of iMacs. Then the amazing pivoting half sphere. Then the pizza box.

I'M STILL WAITING FOR THE NEXT GENERATION AND IT JUST AIN'T HAPPENING!

The Apple design team urgently needs a revamp! Old Ive has had his day!

(Got to admit that I wouldn't be so worked up if Apple hadn't been so stingy with the graphics. Lame as!)

#48 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:23 AM

ok, heres the thing though. These iMacs are a massive massive massive disappointment, but they are still better than what one would get previously (even if only barely). The 2400HD will be around the same level as the X1600, and the 2600HD will be slightly faster. But if you add in the fact that you get a bigger screen for cheaper, and faster processors, then its not too bad. Youve just got to bear in mind that its going to suck for gaming a lot quicker than it would have done if theyd gone NVidia.

for every day use they are going to be brilliant, but for gaming it wont really be better than the previous generation.

oh, and dont expect the design to change drastically from what it is in a long long long time really. The fact that its hidden behind the display means that there really is no computer visible. The only change i can see coming is the removal of that fat chin!!!

finally, dont go for ebay iMacs, hunt around on the refurb store, cos thats where youll suddenly find a lot of old imacs with a good record, as theyll have been double checked and/or just brand new stock.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#49 krise

krise

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:29 AM

i hate to say this but mac just sucks for gaming, its not that i hate macs but they just suck for gaming !

#50 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:54 AM

View Postteflon, on August 7th 2007, 05:23 PM, said:

as i keep saying over and over and over, the main problem i have with the machine is its big fat chin!

i think it would have been alright if it looked almost exactly the same as it does now, except that the chin at the bottom was reduced to the same depth as the black band. that would have looked so much better.

bah!

Maybe they could call it the iLeno?
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#51 Rank Xerox

Rank Xerox

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:58 AM

Isn't the reason for the choosen GPU due to iMacs very tight form factor? It is close to a stationary Laptop.

And the GPU is primarely a Laptop card, right? Do we have better GPU for Laptops at a similar price? Otherwise do I think this is the main reason for why the new iMac has the GPU is has.

Regardless, I very strongly consider to buy me an iMac. Is it better to buy the 20" since it would be a smaller screen for the GPU to support? Or would it not make much of a difference if I take the 24" (my first choice)?

#52 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:19 AM

View PostRank Xerox, on August 8th 2007, 11:58 AM, said:

Isn't the reason for the choosen GPU due to iMacs very tight form factor? It is close to a stationary Laptop.

And the GPU is primarely a Laptop card, right? Do we have better GPU for Laptops at a similar price? Otherwise do I think this is the main reason for why the new iMac has the GPU is has.

Regardless, I very strongly consider to buy me an iMac. Is it better to buy the 20" since it would be a smaller screen for the GPU to support? Or would it not make much of a difference if I take the 24" (my first choice)?

If you want to get the most out of the GPU then the 20" with the 2600 would be the best combination - fewer pixels to push with the same GPU. Of course, you can also get the 24" and run a lower resolution, though LCDs don't scale resolution well, so it won't look good (unless you do 1:1 scaling, which gives black bars around the smaller image).

I think that the reason that these particular GPUs were picked is most likely because of the tight form factor - these are the first GPUs manufactured at 65nm, which should help them run cooler.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#53 MacFly

MacFly

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:21 AM

Wow, I was really dreading this update, since I bought a 24incher back in February. The thought of being bypassed with cheaper, better tech is depressing, but inevitable. While this is just horrible news for future imac gamers, I can’t help but feel much better about my NVidia 7600 graphics card that I opted for. :happy:

My main purpose for getting the 24incher was that the graphics card can be removed. I was gambling that future imacs might have the same capability and I would be able to replace mine later on when better cards are available. Does anyone know if the new imacs have this capability?

#54 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:44 AM

View PostRank Xerox, on August 8th 2007, 04:58 PM, said:

yes and no.
they couldve made it a few mm thicker, got rid of the chin and put in a decent GPU with minimal extra fan noise and everyone wouldve been happy. they picked the easy option.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#55 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:02 AM

On a side note, I do love the ability to have a 1 TB hard drive. This is the first standalone TB drive offered by Apple – previously you could only order multiple 500 GB drives to go over a TB.
I Can't Feel My Torso – Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#56 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:24 AM

I'm glad everyone seems to agree they're ugly. I was personally fond of the Lampshades, bring those back. The new iMacs look more like they're appealing to the Dell aesthetic with black and silver.

I never get excited about iMacs as I flat out refuse to buy EVER an all-in-one desktop. If Apple is going to limit users hardwired graphics, at least one would think they'd give users more customization options when ordering them. Ironically if they stuck raw specs of the iMac into a proper desktop with a few PCI slots, I'd consider buying one.
the IMG audio guy...

#57 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:49 AM

I don't think they are ugly at all.  They look awesome.  The screen is the best yet.

The easy option?  No.  It is not easy to pack all of this into such a narrow form factor.

View Postteflon, on August 8th 2007, 09:44 AM, said:

yes and no.
they couldve made it a few mm thicker, got rid of the chin and put in a decent GPU with minimal extra fan noise and everyone wouldve been happy. they picked the easy option.

#58 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:57 PM

well actually it is. But ive also said elsewhere that i would quite happily see them have it 5-10mm thicker to get better cooling. It would barely change the look of it.

The current range of ATI cards are low power and so also low heat. They run on 65nm chips which is the reason for this. The 2600HD Pro is often sold on the PC side with just a heatsink on it.
because of the form factor of the iMac, they can leverage the same idea as was in the Cube, namely that heat rises. So stick a decent sized heatsink in there, with a good cooling profile (especially if it goes horizontally across the computer and is quite high up in it, and you will be quite happily able to run at decent temps.

If theyd have gone for the 8600, then they would have needed more fan power, as its a hotter running chip, and i believe is 80nm (though i may be mistaken in this). to get a better cooling profile, they make it slightly thicker, and so have air intake at the bottom of the machine. Once again, a well designed heatsink will work wonders and keep the machine cool running.

especially with the 24" machine this would be incredibly practical, and would be preferred by almost every single person i can think of.

heres a good example of a pretty powerful 8600 using just a heatsink. heck they even overclocked it. At standard GT clocks, or better yet underclocked as apple loves to do with their machines, im sure that a decent cooling solution could be reached in a slightly thicker iMac.

EDIT: as an aside. the same website has a review of the ATI low to mid range line up that is actually quite positive, and shows it competing quite well with the NVidia offerings... at least in DX9...

#59 teamturbo_2000

teamturbo_2000

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:07 PM

Wow....Kinda disappointed in what I'm seeing.

From my understanding my 7600GT is actually just as good as the 2600Pro if not better.  The only real difference in the iMac for me would be the 2.16ghz vs 2.40 entry level 24".  That's nothing in processing speed.

Side note about the mini- WTF can't they put at least the X1400 - X1600 into it?  Both of these cards are absolutely terrible and I'm sure fairly cheap so they wouldn't cannibalize the other Mac computers.  In the PC world, these are fairly standard cards for a $650 computer.  Get your act together Apple.

Last note,

A quick question maybe someone could answer.  Is the Macbook Pro with 8600GT better than my 24" 2.16 7600GT w/ 2G Ram iMac?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the mobile versions of 8600 much weaker than the real deal?  Also- lets say I want to hook the laptop up to a 22" Dell screen or somethin' and play something like counterstrike, wouldn't I get significantly lower performance?  After reading all this, I just feel like sticking to the old 24" and not updating to anything.
My Setup
iMac 24" Intel Core 2 Duo (2.16)
2 Gigs Ram
7600 GT 256MB Graphics Card
Blue Toothed Keyboard & Mighty Mouse

#60 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:49 PM

View Postteamturbo_2000, on August 8th 2007, 12:07 PM, said:

In the PC world, these are fairly standard cards for a $650 computer.  Get your act together Apple.

Dell regularly throws in a monitor and a PCIe slot, too...