Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:13 PM

TUAW suggested that this is because of the announcements at WWDC. As if Epic is just now hopping on the bandwagon because of Apple's supposed renewed interest in games. I don't think so.. I think it is more likely that Epic had this in mind all along.. especially for UT3.

Third party UE3 games are another story however.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#22 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:24 PM

Gears could be a recent decision for all we know, and end up lagging months and months after the PC release.

But UT3 was definitely mentioned by Mark Rein LONG before WWDC:
http://utforums.epic...mp;postcount=25

#23 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:53 PM

View Postnagromme, on July 16th 2007, 04:24 PM, said:

Gears could be a recent decision for all we know, and end up lagging months and months after the PC release.
Certainly possible, though one would hope not. Gears and UT3 showing up on the Mac simultaneously or at least relatively quickly would be a great way to awaken PC gamers to the Mac. In fact, I can't think of anything better.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#24 Magnum

Magnum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:06 PM

When I saw this I was like, whoa!
2.71828183 * 3.14159265 * 299792458

#25 halprin

halprin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:11 PM

I have seen multiple people make references that if this game has a high system requirements it is going to be Intel only.  That makes no bloody sense!  My Dual 2.7 Ghz PowerMac G5 can put the pants on all the Mactels except for the 3.0 Ghz MacPros.  PowerPC does not mean slow in the least bit.

As for the UED (the editor), I have a strong feeling it will make it to the Mac.  IIRC, it has been recoded from the group up not using a Windows only window API as previous iterations had been.

#26 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:16 PM

I've come to a point where I don't play a huge amount of games...  but if the Black and White 2 port ever finishes, GoW and UT3 hit the Mac, my Mac desktop will be acquired just as soon as they revamp the iMacs (a 7600 GT is not likely to spank those two games into submission).

#27 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:18 PM

View PostLemon Lime, on July 16th 2007, 10:00 AM, said:

I'll stick to my 360 version.

You do know that the PC/Mac version will have a good deal of added content, plus that big humongous creature that never appeared in the 360 version. ;)
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#28 Peachey

Peachey

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:21 PM

This boosts my complete uninterested in the next gen consoles..Ive got all the gaming heat I need on the Mac these days. Supreme Commander on boot camp, Gears of war on OSX. Haapy days. :lol:
iMac Core Duo - 1.5 Rams | 1.8 Jiggawatts of Intels | Mac OS 10.4 and Windows XP
iMac G3 - 512 Rams | 400 Jiggawatts of Power PC's | Mac OS 10.4 and Mac OS 9
Posted Image www.davidmckeitch.com

#29 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:23 PM

View Posthalprin, on July 16th 2007, 06:11 PM, said:

I have seen multiple people make references that if this game has a high system requirements it is going to be Intel only.  That makes no bloody sense!  My Dual 2.7 Ghz PowerMac G5 can put the pants on all the Mactels except for the 3.0 Ghz MacPros.  PowerPC does not mean slow in the least bit.

No, but some of these games may be targeting the VERY highest of the high-end, including recent GPUs. I hope not, but we'll see. My 7600GT may not be able to plat Gears or UT3 playable even with low detail! But I'm hoping that it--and top PPC machines--can handle UE3 (with the eye candy turned down).

#30 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:32 PM

View Postnagromme, on July 16th 2007, 05:23 PM, said:

No, but some of these games may be targeting the VERY highest of the high-end, including recent GPUs. I hope not, but we'll see. My 7600GT may not be able to plat Gears or UT3 playable even with low detail! But I'm hoping that it--and top PPC machines--can handle UE3 (with the eye candy turned down).

They have been indicating otherwise. Like I said they have been talking about the optimizations they have been making with the UE3 and they acknowledge that most people are running DX9 level hardware and they are making the games to run well on that. Even in interviews I have seen for GoW I have seen them say that you would be able to run it on "popsnizzley" hardware of course not at full detail. So it doesn't sound like they are just targeting the highest of the high end. Of course to get the best experience as possible that's what you'd want.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#31 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:46 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on July 17th 2007, 09:32 AM, said:

They have been indicating otherwise. Like I said they have been talking about the optimizations they have been making with the UE3 and they acknowledge that most people are running DX9 level hardware and they are making the games to run well on that. Even in interviews I have seen for GoW I have seen them say that you would be able to run it on "popsnizzley" hardware of course not at full detail. So it doesn't sound like they are just targeting the highest of the high end. Of course to get the best experience as possible that's what you'd want.

thats realy really good to hear.

im mean, this is all awesome to hear!

i have nothing to say at the moment...im speechless :blink:

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#32 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:18 PM

thinking that a 7600 wont be able to run UE3 is just plain old silly, specially when a 9800 was a previous cut off point for the minimum specs...
they realise that in order to capture a decent market, they need to have a scaleable engine. all the videos and trailers are, of course, using bleeding edge tech, but the engine is almost always massively scaleable, specially if its being designed to work for almost any game genre (anyone up for some Gears of War Golf??) and to be sold as an engine pitched toward literally anyone.
as such, its optimized for consoles and a largest selection of PCs they can bear to think of.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#33 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:29 PM

View PostPegasus, on July 16th 2007, 05:18 PM, said:

You do know that the PC/Mac version will have a good deal of added content, plus that big humongous creature that never appeared in the 360 version. ;)

And the unreal editor. You can make the game the way it was meant to be played.
What is a man?

#34 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

DAAAYMMNN. This is some nice news if it is a real port. If I don't have to wait too long after it releases for XP I'll surely get GoW for OSX instead.

#35 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:14 PM

View PostmiZer, on July 16th 2007, 01:21 PM, said:

PPC?  Or just Intel with Cider.

I am guessing intel only, since Apple is not selling any PPCs; forever.
Tortillas are sleeping bags for ground beef.

#36 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:33 PM

View PostMaestro, on July 16th 2007, 11:14 PM, said:

There are, however, still quite a few PPC owners who would buy this game.  The question is whether there are enough PPC Macs that can run it OK to be worth the bother, but I wouldn't think there'd be much bother in the first place since the game already runs on PPC-based machines.  So it's not like they have to spend any time fixing endian issues, surely.

--Eric

#37 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:35 PM

View PostMaestro, on July 16th 2007, 11:14 PM, said:

Possibly, BUT, the marketplace contains machines people already own, not just machines people bought in the last year. Depending on how hard it is to be Universal (and remembering that UT3 was in development before the Intel switch), it might me worth Epic's while to support G5s. Or it might not.

#38 reallynotnick

reallynotnick

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:59 PM

Well the 360 is a PPC machine, if that helps with porting over any code for a PPC version.

Sadly I think I will just have to stick with my 360 for gaming as I don't have the money to put up for a nice gaming Mac (or PC).

#39 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:07 PM

View PostEric5h5, on July 16th 2007, 10:33 PM, said:

There are, however, still quite a few PPC owners who would buy this game.  The question is whether there are enough PPC Macs that can run it OK to be worth the bother,

Look at the numbers, there are only so many of PPC computers. Intel computers are currently being sold, and will be sold indefinitely (unless some more crap hits the fan). You can only make so much cash doing a PPC port, while on the Intel you can continue to make cash for years.

View PostEric5h5, on July 16th 2007, 10:33 PM, said:

but I wouldn't think there'd be much bother in the first place since the game already runs on PPC-based machines.  So it's not like they have to spend any time fixing endian issues, surely.

--Eric

You are talking out your behind there Eric5h5...

Do you have any technical expertise (other than your post count)?

nagromme, on July 16th 2007, 10:33 PM, said:

Possibly, BUT, the marketplace contains machines people already own, not just machines people bought in the last year.

You aren't thinking about the future, how many Intel Macs will be sold compared to PPC Macs?
Tortillas are sleeping bags for ground beef.

#40 halprin

halprin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:09 PM

http://icculus.org/c...pl?user=icculus
^ Ryan Gordon's Log

I'll quote the important stuff here:

So, uh, yeah...apparently Mark spilled the beans:
http://insidemacgame...ry.php?ID=15395

...so I guess I'll be talking about these here soon.
And no, neither game is using Cider.

So there you have it, UT3 and GoW are Universal!

Edit:  Actually, technically even though they don't use Cider, that does not mean they can't still be Intel only.  But either way I think Ryan Gordon meant that it will be Universal.  And even then, at least it will be native speed and no Cider conversion.