157 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:32 AM

In a "Game Head" video posted on Gametrailers.com, Epic Games' VP Mark Rein announced that a Mac version of Gears of War and Unreal Tournament 3 are heading to the platform. Rein enthusiastically announces in the video, "And don't forget, we're also doing Macintosh. Yes, Gears is coming to the Mac and so is UT".

Using the Unreal 3 engine, Gears of War is a third-person tactical action/horror game that has been a runaway best-seller on the XBOX 360 selling over 3.5 million copies. The Windows version of Gears of War was announced last week and Epic promises all-new content, including three new multiplayer maps, a new multiplayer game type, game editor, and five new campaign chapters for the Windows version.

Be sure to check out the video of Mark Rein on Gametrailers.com. The surprise announcement appears roughly mid-way through the video.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 -=SHODAN=-

-=SHODAN=-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:23 AM

I love Epic.

#3 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:31 AM

View PostIMG News, on July 16th 2007, 11:32 AM, said:

In a "Game Head" video posted on Gametrailers.com, Epic Games' VP Mark Rein announced that a Mac version of Gears of War and Unreal Tournament 3 are heading to the platform. Rein enthusiastically announces in the video, "And don't forget, we're also doing Macintosh. Yes, Gears is coming to the Mac and so is UT".

game editor...

But not that part, I'll wager.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#4 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:33 AM

This is great news.  Now just release the Mac version within a reasonable amount of time from the PC version (ie. inside 6 months) and don't charge Mac users more for the privilege of playing.  Keep the price of the Mac version the same as the PC version, and lower it at the same rate as the PC version so that I can buy it cheaper later, and I'm in.  Otherwise, it's Bootcamp for me.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#5 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:42 AM

Arg! I just bought Gears of War yesterday for my 360!!!
I Can't Feel My Torso Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#6 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:00 AM

I'll stick to my 360 version.

#7 lenn

lenn

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:08 AM

WOW! Great news! Thanks Epic!!!!!

lenn

#8 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on July 16th 2007, 05:31 PM, said:

But not that part, I'll wager.

why not?? the editors tools for UE3 are multi platform because theyre based on wxwidgets (i think thats it, but not sure), which means mac, linux and windows. That means that well have the editing tools for UT3, and most likely those exact same tools will be able to edit for GoW too.

My gut feeling is that Epic are doing the port with Ryan Gordon's help in house, and so well see a pretty snappy turn around... Of course, MacSoft have a good history with Epic. But it does sound as if its Epic doing the leg work..
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#9 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:36 AM

Gears of War looks really good on the 360, but it had too much of a "room-to-room" feel. It didn't feel like you were dealing with a world like Halo did, you were only taking it one small enclosed space at a time, and until that room was cleared out, it was all that mattered.

I didn't play too far past the first level, so I could have gotten the wrong impression of the game.

UT 3 on the other hand... If they can make a better game than Unreal Tournament 2004, I'll be very impressed.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#10 ehuelga

ehuelga

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Steam Name:El Spud

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:10 PM

Criminy. I broke this news two days ago but the friggin IMG Pimpbot 4000 is gonna get all the props now. If I find out who really put this up without having the goddamn common courtesy to link back to my original post… they will be 2nd up against the wall when they start handing out chainsaw-bayonets (right after the unbelieving Smoke_Tetsu). Yep, I'm keeping a list and checking it twice.
The commute from Mill Valley to Cupertino is a real bitch.

#11 miZer

miZer

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:21 PM

PPC?  Or just Intel with Cider.

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:35 PM

View PostmiZer, on July 16th 2007, 08:21 PM, said:

Depending on the hardware hunger, possibly Intel only - without Cider. But this is pure speculation since we haven't heard anything on the system requirements of the PC version.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#13 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

This is GREAT news--and I don't mean to take anything away from the Nanny Mania announcement when I say this.

Too many Mac games to buy! Do they think I'm made of money? :)

Also, here's an old (but still promising) note about the UE3 editing tools coming to Mac!
http://beyondunreal....ost.php?id=6277

#14 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:07 PM

Have there been any XBox360 ports yet? How does stuff look/run compared to the 360 version? I'd love to see how the "next-gen" consoles compare to computers. I know there is a lot more overhead on a PC, and through the porting process, the code may not be as optimized for the computer as it is for the console, but regardless, it is still an interesting comparison.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#15 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:22 PM

It will depend on the engine--we've never had a UE3 game on Mac yet, though I think on Windows there's a Rainbow Six game that uses it.

And if course it will depend on the computer... computers keep advancing while consoles hold still :)

On the other hand, a console on an SDTV can get away with blurriness and low res that most computer gamers would not tolerate.

I don't care. I need a mouse!

#16 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:56 PM

I'm thinking that Rainbow Six game probably doesn't have the optimizations they have since made for UT3. They've been talking about optimizations lately and how they have been able to optimize it better to run on a wider variety of systems especially those with multi-core. Also at this point I doubt this is going to be a Cider game. I don't think we have as much reason to doubt them on this I don't even consider it as much of a port as say.. Capcoms games where the games engine is more alien to the PC\Mac this is Epic we are talking about.. who has been supporting us since forever.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#17 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:04 PM

View Postehuelga, on July 16th 2007, 12:10 PM, said:

Criminy. I broke this news two days ago but the friggin IMG Pimpbot 4000 is gonna get all the props now. If I find out who really put this up without having the goddamn common courtesy to link back to my original post… they will be 2nd up against the wall when they start handing out chainsaw-bayonets (right after the unbelieving Smoke_Tetsu). Yep, I'm keeping a list and checking it twice.

Excuse me, It seems you have misunderstood me... and if you are annoyed think about how annoyed I am when you insist on saying that I'm un\disbelieving. No I didn't right out say that you made that stuff up but it was kind of unbelievable at first. Do you think that I believe everything someone types out at first glance especially on a topic such as this (a game that has thus far been a microsoft exlusive). So please drop this alright I believe that Mark Rein said that GoW is coming to the Mac.. I always did since I saw him saying it for myself. You're making me check my list twice too. :P
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#18 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:04 PM

Yeah, I don't think we're talking Cider.

According to Wikipedia (the famous infallible and perfect source), the only two PC games to use UE3 so far are RoboBlitz, followed by Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas. Both in 2006, so we've come a long way since then!

#19 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:12 PM

On the other hand you have to realize that they will probably still have higher system requirements than UT2004. ;) You want more graphics\effects\etc? Then prepare for higher system requirements. :P
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#20 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:51 PM

Gears? On Mac? With a mouse & keyboard? F'n SWEET!!!  :w00t:

Looks like my 360 Elite fund is going to be rolled into the Intel Mac fund instead.

View PostmiZer, on July 16th 2007, 01:21 PM, said:

Peter Cohen said over at Macworld that it's not Cider.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.