• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Morro_liverpool

Morro_liverpool

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:04 PM

Hey guys

i bought Age of Empires II Gold edition for mac a while ago. It worked on a G4 imac which ran mac osx and Mac os9. But the game only ran on 9. i now have a newer Power PC G5 which only has osx. I cant install it, and when i do try to it says that a file is missing. The game does say that it can run on macosx and i no from reading forums and such that it does normally work. Im guessing theres an update somewhere i may have missed  or settings i may  have wrong.

So i was just wandering if anyone had had a similar problem and how it was resolved.

Thanks, Morro

#2 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3301 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:42 PM

View PostMorro_liverpool, on July 16th 2007, 01:04 AM, said:

Hey guys

i bought Age of Empires II Gold edition for mac a while ago. It worked on a G4 imac which ran mac osx and Mac os9. But the game only ran on 9. i now have a newer Power PC G5 which only has osx. I cant install it, and when i do try to it says that a file is missing. The game does say that it can run on macosx and i no from reading forums and such that it does normally work. Im guessing theres an update somewhere i may have missed  or settings i may  have wrong.

So i was just wandering if anyone had had a similar problem and how it was resolved.

Thanks, Morro

i haven't had that problem but i would contact ensemble studios or Bold or Macsoft asking for help.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#3 Blublub

Blublub

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:05 PM

Probably a bit too late to help, but just noticed this myself. Instead of running the installer you just need to manually copy over the Age of Empires II Gold folder.

#4 olcharlie

olcharlie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:26 PM

I tried this when I couldn't install AoE II on my new MacBook Pro (2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM) and thought it was working, but just after the opening trailer I got this error message...

Could not initialize graphics system.  Make sure your video card and drivers are compatible with direct draw.

I'm not real technically skilled which is, at least in part, why I use mac.  Here's my display info...

GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
  Type: Display
  Bus: PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width: x16
  VRAM (Total): 256 MB
  Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID: 0x0407
  Revision ID: 0x00a1
  ROM Revision: 3212
  Displays:
Color LCD:
  Display Type: LCD
  Resolution: 1440 x 900
  Depth: 32-bit Color
  Built-In: Yes
  Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
  Main Display: Yes
  Mirror: Off
  Online: Yes
  Quartz Extreme: Supported
Display Connector:

Is there a fix for this?  Truth is, I preferred the original, pre-gunpowder game... but I don't expect there's any hope of running that on this machine.  AoE III just isn't the same game and I miss the old time waster.

View PostBlublub, on December 17th 2007, 03:05 PM, said:

Probably a bit too late to help, but just noticed this myself. Instead of running the installer you just need to manually copy over the Age of Empires II Gold folder.

#5 AOETweaker

AOETweaker

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:02 AM

View Postolcharlie, on March 25th 2008, 08:26 PM, said:

I tried this when I couldn't install AoE II on my new MacBook Pro (2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM) and thought it was working, but just after the opening trailer I got this error message...

Could not initialize graphics system.  Make sure your video card and drivers are compatible with direct draw.

I'm not real technically skilled which is, at least in part, why I use mac.  Here's my display info...

GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
  Type: Display
  Bus: PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width: x16
  VRAM (Total): 256 MB
  Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID: 0x0407
  Revision ID: 0x00a1
  ROM Revision: 3212
  Displays:
Color LCD:
  Display Type: LCD
  Resolution: 1440 x 900
  Depth: 32-bit Color
  Built-In: Yes
  Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
  Main Display: Yes
  Mirror: Off
  Online: Yes
  Quartz Extreme: Supported
Display Connector:

Is there a fix for this?  Truth is, I preferred the original, pre-gunpowder game... but I don't expect there's any hope of running that on this machine.  AoE III just isn't the same game and I miss the old time waster.

I have an iMac 24" 3.0ghz with an 8800 GS that I bought recently and I can't run AOE II Gold either. I get the exact same "cannot initialize graphics system" message. Haven't found help anywhere  :( :wall: :angry:

#6 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:15 AM

Apparently it has to do with recent OS X updates disabling 256 color mode with some graphics cards.  Apple may fix that eventually...or not....

--Eric

#7 AOETweaker

AOETweaker

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 02:02 PM

View PostEric5h5, on July 9th 2008, 11:15 AM, said:

Apparently it has to do with recent OS X updates disabling 256 color mode with some graphics cards.  Apple may fix that eventually...or not....

--Eric

I hope they do because I don't play games and this is the only game I really play against the gf and my friend some times. I also have a monster pc that I built for recording music and I play it on that but I'd like to play it on the iMac as well.

I think that's what it is some type of conflict with the video card and the OSX.  :( :wall:

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:04 AM

MacSoft loves you all.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"