#21 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:11 PM

View Postteflon, on July 15th 2007, 08:53 PM, said:

incidentally, EaW for PC didnt support the GMA doodad that the Mac version doesnt.

Huh? :blink: You might want to re-read that!
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#22 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:21 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on July 13th 2007, 10:25 PM, said:

Here's what I've found so far:
  • The rollover button actions lag behind the cursor on the main menu screen.
  • Bioware never bothered to work on widescreen support for KOTOR.  The 4:3 aspect ratio is pretty much hard-coded into the game, so we 're never going to see 16:9/16:10. Don't bother asking, in other words. ;)
  • The current maximum resolution of KOTOR 1.0.3D on my MacBook Pro is 1024x768.  On a LCD panel with a native resolution of 1440x900, that looks awful.  If we could raise the resolution to 1280x960, it'd look better--at least, it has in some of my other old games with locked 4:3 aspect ratios.
  • The game runs fine on my MacBook Pro (it should, considering the fact that the game is four years old), but performance could be a LOT better--especially in the outdoor portions of Taris.
  • Command-tabbing out of KOTOR always kills the app. [crashlog attached]
  • Audio effects don't play during following situations: disarming/recovering mines, upgrading items on the workbench, and racing (Taris).
  • In the transition between Taris and Dantooine, your turret doesn't make any sound as you defend the Ebon Hawk from enemy fighters.
  • I experienced three random crashes during the Jedi training on Dantooine (usually shortly before or after the "quiz").  For some reason, clicking on the "Report" button in OSX crash dialog did not give me a crashlog--the box simply went away, leaving me with nothing.
I'll definitely post more tidbits as I go along.

I can't download your crash logs, so I assume no one else can either. As for the bugs you mention, here are my parting thoughts.

- The sound library for KOTOR was rewritten to use OpenAL for the Universal Binary build. This has a number of side-effects, most of them related to, uh, "features" with the OpenAL library provided with OS X. These include, but are not limited to, crashes in CoreAudio (usually something like Audio3DMixer), missing sounds and sounds that exhibit latency or "lag".
- I'd just run KOTOR in a window, frankly. The Cmd-Tab crash bug is likely not going to get fixed I'd wager.
- There was no widescreen support on the PC (they've hardcoded UI layouts based on your resolution), so the best we can get on the Mac is support for stretched vs. non-stretched widescreen modes.
- Glad to hear it runs on the GMA 950, but that's certainly unsupported. KOTOR is fairly old nowadays and the game was originally written on the PC (and the Mac) to support an ATI path and an Nvidia path. Everything else went down a really low-end generic rendering path.
- This build does support soft shadow and framebuffer effects on ATI cards - a benefit for PowerPC owners.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#23 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:53 AM

fixed my post.

so Brad, is this effectively you saying youre not working on it anymore?? at all??
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#24 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:09 AM

View PostBrad Oliver, on July 15th 2007, 08:21 PM, said:

I can't download your crash logs, so I assume no one else can either. As for the bugs you mention, here are my parting thoughts.
Brad, would you please sign my Internet petition before you go?  There's no need to read it, it's all just the standard perfunctory verbiage,  just sign it.  Thanks.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#25 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:58 PM

View Postteflon, on July 16th 2007, 03:53 AM, said:

so Brad, is this effectively you saying youre not working on it anymore?? at all??

Well, I no longer work for Aspyr so yeah, I'm no longer working on Aspyr products. ;)
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#26 Xavier

Xavier

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:29 PM

I launched the game today and I have the option for 1600x1200. I started playing on that resolution and the game works with minor problems. I still get a crash every now and then, but I am able to play for a good few hours before it happenes. (compared to the few minutes)

Thank you Brad!
Moof!

#27 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:53 AM

So do we have any other first hand experiences with how well the game is running on an intel mac?  Me and my impulsive buyerness just ordered the game because I was too impatient to wait...and I have that mac user mentallity where I just expected everything to work fine because it usually does....apple is teaching me bad habbits  :glare:
The Mac:  15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.33ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI x1600 256mb, 3 gigs ram.
The PC :  3.0ghz Intel Core2Duo E8400, Asus P5N-D nForce SLI Motherboard, BFG GeForce8800 GT OC 512MB, 4gigs ram

-Shiny, lets be bad guys ~Jane
-If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up, honestly there could be tears ~ Mal

#28 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:43 PM

Basically, the game works great, with one catch: expect about a dozen random crashes throughout the game due to Apple's OpenAL implementation.  There's nothing that you (or the guys at Aspyr) can do about it--fortunately, if you save every 20 minutes or so, you shouldn't lose more than a few minutes of work throughout the entire game.
InsideMacGames.com

#29 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:35 PM

When, oh when, will Apple ever fix OpenAL...I've been waiting for it work properly with UT2004 (among other things) forever....

--Eric

#30 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:28 AM

Well, I finished KOTOR last week, and my overall impression was pretty positive--sure, there are a few audio drop-outs and random OpenAL crashes, but I don't really care since I had already played the game through three times (this was my fourth).  Performance was fair on my machine--if this update was something that Aspyr was charging a few bucks for, I would've wanted to see at least a 50% speed increase over the current rev, and as an added bonus, an ass-kicking robot delivered to Apple to "motivate" the guys that are supposed to be working on OpenAL.   :whistling:

However, this is a free update, and as such, I'm extremely grateful to Aspyr and Brad Oliver for taking the time out of their already busy schedules to ensure that we'll be able to play KOTOR in OS X for a long time to come.

Here's a half-assed revision of the issues that I posted earlier:
  • Apple's OpenAL sucks, but I already knew about that (it was the scourge of X2: The Threat, if anyone remembers that).  During the entire game, you can expect the game to unexpectedly quit about a dozen times, and you'll definitely notice that certain sounds cut out some of the time (mines exploding) or all of the time (upgrading items on the workbench).
  • As Janichsan so sagely pointed out, the highest 4:3 resolution that we can get to fit inside the MacBook Pro's 1440x900 resolution is 1152x864.  If there's any way we can get KOTOR to cut off the top and bottom of the screen, it'd be awesome to see 1280x960 and/or 1400x1050 (SXGA+) supported.  As it stands, KOTOR at 1024x768 looks pretty darned blurry on the MBP, so, higher resolution options (even instructions on how to do a .cfg modification) would be appreciated.
  • In windowed mode, sending the game window to the dock and returning it to the screen drops the game into fullscreen mode.
  • In fullscreen mode, hiding the app and command-tabbing out of the app causes a quit-to-desktop 100% of the time.  I posted a crashlog earlier, but it's such an easy thing to reproduce that I figured I'd leave it out this time.
  • Are we ever going to see soft shadows and framebuffer effects on nVidia hardware (this question is posed to Aspyr, who will receive a copy of this), or should I stop whining and just be happy that the game is running on my MacBook Pro?  :innocent:
Finally, I have a possible issue that I'd like to know if you see.  This is what it looks like:

Posted Image

On my system, that dialog stuck around, even after I hit escape and began delving into the menu system.  To get it to go away I had to restart KOTOR.
InsideMacGames.com

#31 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:23 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on July 24th 2007, 08:28 AM, said:

[*]If there's any way we can get KOTOR to run at 1280x960 on MacBook Pros, that'd be awesome.  I don't see any reason why that resolution is not already available.
I know a excellent reason for that: the maximum resolution for 15" MBP screens is 1440x900. :P

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#32 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:44 AM

i think he means to cut of 60 pixels evenly from the top and bottom... that way it ends up being almost very nearly widescreen, and with minimal playing screen area lost.

you are, of course, right.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#33 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:50 AM

View PostJanichsan, on July 24th 2007, 03:23 AM, said:

I know a excellent reason for that: the maximum resolution for 15" MBP screens is 1440x900. :P
D'oh!

View Postteflon, on July 24th 2007, 04:44 AM, said:

i think he means to cut of 60 pixels evenly from the top and bottom... that way it ends up being almost very nearly widescreen, and with minimal playing screen area lost.

you are, of course, right.

Oyy vey.  This is why I shouldn't post at 1:30 AM. ;)  I'll edit that post, but what I was asking for was the highest maximum resolution that fit inside the 1440x900 resolution of our screens.  In the case of the MacBook Pro, that'd be 1152x864 (XGA+), NOT 1280x960 (as you correctly pointed out).  I'm not sure if they can cut off the top and bottom of the display without rewriting the engine in it's entirety.  If I'm wrong, then 1400x1050 (SXGA+) would be nice.
InsideMacGames.com

#34 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:36 PM

KOTOR (ub-patch)
iMac 2.8e 4gb ram leo 10.5.2 und very slow ub-performance ?

is it true that this patch is universal, what ? the performance is terrible for such an old game. in such a low max resolution of 1024x768 it should have over 300 frames, but it is crappy like not over 10 frames. is it a problem with leopard ? or what is the problem ?

thx
doc
 iMac 2.93C2D ATI-4850 4GB 640GB BT AP SD
 MacbookPro 2.4C2D 9600GT 4GB 250GB BT AP SD
 iPod Video 30GB - Airport Extreme - Synology 406 1.6TB@Raid5