57 replies to this topic

#1 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:57 PM

Here's a question: should we petition tBC to periodically reset the postcount of the bot, "IMG News" that automatically populates the IMG News Discussion section of the forum?  It's getting close to accumulating 4,000 posts, and will soon come into range of my/Eric5h's LRM20s--as soon as we finish trouncing Auron and a2daj, that is. ;)  Does anyone in the top 10 really care about their postcounts that much?
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#2 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:18 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on July 9th 2007, 04:57 PM, said:

Does anyone in the top 10 really care about their postcounts that much?

Not me.  :)  It's quality that counts, not quantity...er, so one of these days I should start trying for quality, eh....

--Eric

#3 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:33 PM

post count doesn't, um, count for much IMO.  If it bothers people though, is 'hiding' the account's post count an option?

#4 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:38 PM

Nope.  (Boy, this was a quality post!)

Edit: Well, postcount does mean something.  First and foremost, it's an indicator of how much time you've spent on the boards.  What would be pretty interesting (to me) is if we had an average post word count, and perhaps a quick and easy way to rate the quality of each post.  With a quality rating, you could conceivably write some automatic deletion rules that keep great posts around longer.
InsideMacGames.com

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:11 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on July 9th 2007, 04:38 PM, said:

Nope.  (Boy, this was a quality post!)

Edit: Well, postcount does mean something.  First and foremost, it's an indicator of how much time you've spent on the boards.  What would be pretty interesting (to me) is if we had an average post word count, and perhaps a quick and easy way to rate the quality of each post.  With a quality rating, you could conceivably write some automatic deletion rules that keep great posts around longer.
Yeah, post count does mean something.  The Pimpbot 4000 is just a bit of software that writers post to, its not an actual forum member and it doesn't belong in any of the top listings.  That should be reserved for people.  I've reduced the post count by an even 3000.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:36 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on July 9th 2007, 08:11 PM, said:

The Pimpbot 4000 is just a bit of software that writers post to, its not an actual forum member and it doesn't belong in any of the top listings.  That should be reserved for people.  I've reduced the post count by an even 3000.

Hey!  That's discrimination!  Bots are people too!  ...OK, technically they're not, they're bots.  Fine.  But they have feelings too!  ...OK, technically they don't, they're just bits of code.  Fine.  But they have rights!  ...OK, technically they don't, they're made to serve us without question.  Fine.  But...um, what was my point again?

--Eric

#7 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:14 PM

View PostEric5h5, on July 9th 2007, 08:36 PM, said:

Hey!  That's discrimination!  Bots are people too!  ...OK, technically they're not, they're bots.  Fine.  But they have feelings too!  ...OK, technically they don't, they're just bits of code.  Fine.  But they have rights!  ...OK, technically they don't, they're made to serve us without question.  Fine.  But...um, what was my point again?

To praise me. ;)
InsideMacGames.com

#8 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:11 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on July 9th 2007, 10:14 PM, said:

To praise me. ;)

Oh yeah, that's right.  As I was saying: All hail the mighty Quicksilver, he who caused the evil Pimpbot's excessive post count to be reduced!  What a guy!

--Eric

#9 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:20 PM

And with that, we come a few posts closer to the top five.  Wahoo!  Thanks, tBC! :D
InsideMacGames.com

#10 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:13 PM

View PostEric5h5, on July 10th 2007, 11:36 AM, said:

--Eric
Hey!!! Isn't that just a way to get nearer to the top five posters? (Isn't this post basically the same?) Anyways back onto topic, at first I thought...

"IMG writers, how can more than one person share an account decently? then tBC said it was a bot, so yeah..."

Back onto topic, it is kind of odd that a bot has a post count, isn't it? anyway, even if it wasn't a bot, if it was actually the person/people doing the posting directly, would they still (kind of) not be entitled to a good post count, or even having it nuetered? Sure, there are actually posting text here, but isn't that what the are volunteering to do anyway? Why should they be praised by the amount of posts that they have accumulated from writing about news in the Mac gaming world?

To take it a step further, maybe tBC should also have a lower post count because he is a mod/admin? Maybe people should have a post count? Like Quicksilver said, quantity versus quality? Which one? maybe people should have an hour count (of how many hours they spend on the forums? maybe that?

Liberator.

P.S. Please don't hurt me tBC (hurt someone your own size :crying:). :P

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#11 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:46 AM

I say no to your primary question, because the very process of mindlessly copying and pasting each news item into the forum would eventually turn any human user into a robot, and we all know that 'bots make Eric5h5 religious.
InsideMacGames.com

#12 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:14 AM

Je ne comprend pas.
=
I do not understand (for those who do not know French).

What do you mean by...

View PostQuicksilver, on July 10th 2007, 04:46 PM, said:

I say no to your primary question...

I don't understand, do you mean my...

View PostThe Liberator, on July 10th 2007, 03:11PM, said:

Back onto topic, it is kind of odd that a bot has a post count, isn't it?...
Or is there some other part of my post you are saying no to (the question)?

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#13 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:35 AM

Paraphrasing, I was referring to: "if it was actually a person . . . wouldn't they be entitled to a good post count?"
InsideMacGames.com

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:47 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on July 9th 2007, 10:13 PM, said:

Back onto topic, it is kind of odd that a bot has a post count, isn't it?
In order to post to the forums you need a forum account, even if you are a chunk of clever code designed to put news into the forums at the same time it puts it onto the IMG news site.  Any account will accumulate a post count when it posts.

anyway, even if it wasn't a bot, if it was actually the person/people doing the posting directly, would they still (kind of) not be entitled to a good post count, or even having it nuetered?
Not person, people.  It would be the same if several of us decided to pool our post count.  It doesn't apply to anything.  It has no meaning.

Sure, there are actually posting text here, but isn't that what the are volunteering to do anyway?
They are volunteering to find, write and post news to IMG.  Some don't even have forum accounts.

Why should they be praised by the amount of posts that they have accumulated from writing about news in the Mac gaming world?
The post count of the Pimpbot does not reflect the post count of a news writer.  Why should a writer who posted only one news item get the same amount of "praise" as a prolific writer?

To take it a step further, maybe tBC should also have a lower post count because he is a mod/admin?
Liberator, please stay after class and report to detention in room 777 for capital punishment with a heavy blunt object.

Maybe people should have a post count? Like Quicksilver said, quantity versus quality? Which one? maybe people should have an hour count (of how many hours they spend on the forums? maybe that?
Quantity is objective, something a computer can do.  Quality is subjective, something a computer can't do.  In that a computer is tallying this count, we are restricted to having the quantity of our posts displayed.  That said, there is a method currently available to register the quality of a person's posts.  If you click on a person's name or avatar you have a link to their profile.  You can adjust their rating.  There are 5 stars to the right of the words "Rate Me", click on how many stars you think they deserve.  Knock yourself out.

P.S. Please don't hurt me tBC (hurt someone your own size :crying:). :P
I have ways of making people like you suffer.  Don't make plans for your next birthday party.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:55 AM

The scarriest thing that has ever happened to me when was when tBC was training Lord Brixton to be a mod, and told him to delete my post count as practice.

Well, maybe not the scarriest thing. That award would have to go to when my mother asked me to do the dishes after thanksgiving one year.

THE HORROR!!!

#16 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:03 PM

I still say that the scariest thing is your spelling (dis)ability. ;)
InsideMacGames.com

#17 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:04 PM

Actually the really scariest thing was when I was training to be a mod and I went way beyond post counts and just deleted Lemon Lime completely.  (You know, the usual "So what does this button do?" "Wait, don't touch--" "Oops, too late!" routine.)  And then the forum software crashed so I couldn't restore him and there weren't any backups.  Fortunately we were able to switch to an alternate timeline where he still existed, which wasn't that easy because there are fewer and fewer of those for some weird reason.  So he's probably not even aware of that whole incident.

--Eric

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:37 PM

View PostEric5h5, on July 10th 2007, 12:04 PM, said:

Fortunately we were able to switch to an alternate timeline where he still existed, which wasn't that easy because there are fewer and fewer of those for some weird reason.
That's probably my fault.  I tend to delete Lemon Lime timelines whenever I run across one.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:17 PM

I think my post count received a hacking during those days as well..........  :glare: I demand the Great Sword of Postincrease x20!
I Can't Feel My Torso Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:56 PM

Nah.  Only one person has had their post count reduced permanently by this administration, and it wasn't you.  But if you want, I can give you some of the Liberators.  You know... liberate them.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat