8 replies to this topic

#1 tech007

tech007

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:55 PM

What does everybody think of the recently released to digital download and demo, Global Conflicts: Palestine. I thought it was a little funny that they misspelled the game in there store, it reads "Global Conficts: Palastine".
Laughing at our mistakes can lengthen our own life. Laughing at someone else's can shorten it.

#2 -=SHODAN=-

-=SHODAN=-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:24 PM

Its an action/shooter?
I thought judging by the video its a top-down adventure game.

#3 tech007

tech007

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:31 PM

View Post-=SHODAN=-, on July 6th 2007, 02:24 PM, said:

Its an action/shooter?
I thought judging by the video its a top-down adventure game.
Thanks for pointing that out, I accidentally posted it here. Moderators, Feel free to move this topic.
Laughing at our mistakes can lengthen our own life. Laughing at someone else's can shorten it.

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:41 PM

OK then, to Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs it goes!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:41 PM

We might need a new "serious games" category in the forums :)

I'm firing it up now--I've been following this game for ages and am quite curious...

#6 morback

morback

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:55 PM

I am quite amazed that they actually release a game on such a topic. For me it is quite impossible to reflect this conflict, especially for a western audience, in a non confrontational/political light. I'm curious to see if it is neutral or neutered.

#7 -=SHODAN=-

-=SHODAN=-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:17 PM

You can be pro-Israeli, pro-Palestinian or balanced depending on what you want to report on. You make the articles.

#8 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:27 PM

Yeah, it's pretty clever that way.

It seems to lean more towards the educational than the fun (which is OK)--but education that makes you think and decide, it's not out with an agenda (except possibly the agenda of understanding multiple viewpoints).

The graphics are pretty good--fantastic for an educational game--but I don't see any widescreen support, so things look stretched (and needlessly low res on my 24" screen). Maybe the full game has more options and higher-res textures.

There's no Help or manual at the start, but once you begin there's a Help menu that makes things more clear.

Music is great, but I'd wish for voice acting instead of reading text. Not a big deal.

Controls are easy, and the final assembly of the newspaper, choosing quotes and photos, is an interesting concept, along with the bar graphs to indicate your alignment and how you are perceived by each character.

Bottom line: it's like a very fancy "choose your own adventure" book--which is not a bad thing. As a tool for classroom discussion and high school or college projects, it seems very useful. And a lot less boring than some textbook!

The shootout startled me, but I guess that's the point!

My impression is positive--but it's not the KIND of game that everyone is looking for. I'm interested in serious games, so I thought it was pretty cool.

It seems that you could hardly play through the whole game and NOT come away with a lot better understanding of some issues you might not have given much thought too.

#9 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:25 PM

For good or bad, I'll not even give this a look. I play games for escapism, not to be immersed the horrors of the world. Might be a fine game for some, but not my thing.