10 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:04 AM

Macgamestore.com has announced the release of Serious Games' Global Conflict: Palestine as a digital download purchase. GC:P is a different type of game that requires a different way of thinking and playing, featuring a simple interface and an approachable game world. Players take the role of a journalist who must tackle the complex situation and successfully publish an article.

In Global Conflicts: Palestine, you assume the role of a freelance journalist who has just arrived in Jerusalem armed with a pen, a notepad and your sharp wits to get you through the challenges ahead. The goal is to create and get an article published for a newspaper by collecting quotes from the dialog in the game. The player can either get information by building up trust with each side or take a more confrontational approach to dig out information. In the end, the story with the most news-value will get the best exposure, but be careful what you print, it will affect your standings with both sides. No matter the approach or the chosen alignment, during the course of the game your beliefs and ideas about the conflict will be challenged. You will experience situations - taken from real life events - that are more complicated than outsiders may realize.
System Requirements:

- Mac OS X 10.3 or later
- Mac G4 or better
- 512 MB RAM or higher
- Open GL Compliant Graphic Accelerated card.
- 1024 x 768 pixels or higher display
Global Conflict: Palestine is available for $20 through Macgamestore.com. A free demo version of the game is available for download on the web page.

Click over to the Macgamestore for more information.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:37 AM

You've got to be kidding me!

#3 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:57 AM

This sounds really interesting--I've been keeping an eye on it for some time. It sounds like a real change from anything else out there. I'm imagining college courses making use of it.

Now, is it interesting AND fun? Downloading now to find out :)

#4 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:08 AM

I'm pretty leery of political games myself.

#5 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:49 AM

I'm big into educational games myself--if done well--and this looks like an example of the kind of thought-provoking material that you can't get from passively reading or watching. DOING something and BEING somewhere--virtual though it may be--is a great way to understand complex issues and shades of grey.

And they can also be crap, so I'm leery too :) This one has always looked to be very balanced and open-ended though. I hope it lives up to my expectations. Plus it was built on Macs (Unity game engine) :)

"Serious games" are becoming a big field. It's like comparing a documentary to a purely entertaining sci-fi movie. I think that's a pretty cool direction for the technology to go in.

#6 -=SHODAN=-

-=SHODAN=-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:12 PM

Website is pretty interesting
http://www.globalconflicts.eu/
I like how you can build your own articles.

#7 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

That's pretty impressive...not really my thing as far as games go, but certainly well done.

--Eric

#8 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:41 PM

View Postnagromme, on July 6th 2007, 11:49 AM, said:

I'm big into educational games myself--if done well--and this looks like an example of the kind of thought-provoking material that you can't get from passively reading or watching. DOING something and BEING somewhere--virtual though it may be--is a great way to understand complex issues and shades of grey.

And they can also be crap, so I'm leery too :) This one has always looked to be very balanced and open-ended though. I hope it lives up to my expectations. Plus it was built on Macs (Unity game engine) :)

"Serious games" are becoming a big field. It's like comparing a documentary to a purely entertaining sci-fi movie. I think that's a pretty cool direction for the technology to go in.

My fear is that it will be heavily biased towards either the Israelis or Palestinians.

#9 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:49 PM

look guys, how is this different from Battlefield 2? or Vietnam games? or world war 2 games for gosh sakes!? In Battlefield 2, I really don't care which side I take. the only thing that makes the difference is, well do I want the big ass american tank, or do I want the middle eastern (yes, they don't actually name country's) rocket launcher. It's as simple as that. you can have bias towards this game if you want, but you should just play it as  A GAME.

#10 calroth

calroth

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:03 PM

View PostBenRoethig, on July 7th 2007, 05:41 AM, said:

My fear is that it will be heavily biased towards either the Israelis or Palestinians.
My fear that it will be relatively balanced, but people will claim that it's biased one way or the other (probably in roughly equal proportions...) without actually, you know, having played it.

#11 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:01 PM

The idea of "games" like these being used as teaching tools in Government classes is kind of intriguing.  Sim games of various types are used to teach procedures in all fields of Medicine these days, so why not a Foreign Policy teaching tool?
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB