493 replies to this topic

#41 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:31 PM

Holy Moley, how did I miss version 14?  Now here is version 15!  I can't turn my back for a second!!

View PostEric5h5, on July 10th 2007, 12:50 PM, said:

That is a good idea, though I think the game should stick to ponies of one sort or another in the interest of focus.  Maybe a non-flying pink magical pony that trots across the ground?  If somebody makes an animation of a trotting pink pony I'll put it in.
It should be a really cute pudgy BABY Magical Flying Pink Pony very big eyes that is too young to fly.  Maybe have a diaper on it.

View PostEricCartman, on July 10th 2007, 12:50 PM, said:

Wow!  All that, plus I discovered that if you flip the widget over, it uses 0% CPU when inactive instead of .1%.  Nice.
YES!  Now I can keep the Widget installed instead of deleting it between uses.  This equals more game sessions!

BTW, I'm not a little offended that we cannot play a female character in this widget.  Are you some sort of sexist?  We should have the option of putting a tiny pink bow on the muzzle of the rocket launcher.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#42 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:07 PM

View PostEric5h5, on July 13th 2007, 08:51 AM, said:

...It's still not done but probably in a state where a stand-alone would be OK.  Unless anyone has about 8MB of web space that would like to host it, I'll email a stand-alone to anyone who wants one.  I guess that's you and Liberator so far?

--Eric
Yep that would be me. I'm currently obsessed with it... I would help you with the 8mb hosting thing, but I don't know how to.

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#43 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:19 PM

Consider making this $5 shareware and cash in!

#44 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:13 PM

View PostEric5h5, on July 12th 2007, 03:51 PM, said:

I'd think someone named Pegasus would be out in the streets protesting this widget.

Who ever said I was a fan of my relatives? Death to them all! :happy:
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#45 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:35 PM

View PostRanger_Joe, on July 13th 2007, 12:19 PM, said:

Consider making this $5 shareware and cash in!
NEVVAHHH!!!!!!!!!
Don't do it Eric, he is trying to trick you, he just want's to take your money somehow.
But seriously though, I would pay the measly 5 bucks for it, but I don't know how and I can't give you a transaction for it, even through paypal. Just can't. :(

Liberator.

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

#46 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:35 PM

Don't worry, I'm not gonna start charging anything.  Widgets should always be 100% free, because they are, you know, widgets.  Doohickeys and thingamabobs you can charge for, but not widgets.  Anyway, my secret plan is to spread this far and wide with a subliminal message implanted to spend great heaping loads of dosh on my next game, Revenge of the Magical Flying Pink Ponies!  Muahahahahaha!!!  Um, oops, what was that?  Don't look!  I think I just pressed the wrong button or something.

Anyway, there are sites that have free file space, but they seem to have stuff in the fine print about how if you use them, you sign over your soul and the souls of anyone you've ever said anything to, and I wouldn't do that to you guys.  Or at least they claim all rights over anything you upload to them, and that's not happening.  So I'll just email tomorrow.  Anyone besides Liberator and Pegasus?  Eventually I'll have some real web space of my own, but not just yet.

So version 15.0 is running OK for everyone?  No crashing or other nasty stuff?  Yes?

--Eric

#47 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:05 PM

Hey look, it's version 15.Q7V!!
  • Reduced base point increase for hitting weaving ponies to 125%!  Really, what was I thinking, 150% was too much!  That should be reserved for something better, like:
  • Headshots!  That's right, if you make a headshot, the base points are increased 150%!  Plus the ponies always gib!!  And even better, you get a cool animation courtesy of none other than AMG!!!  Is that totally awesome or what!!!!  So try to make all your shots headshots!!
--Eric

#48 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:52 PM

Yay!  I'm famous!  I'm in the Magical Flying Pink Pony Game credits made by... some guy, not sure who.  

I'm not getting gibs on every shot.  Plus I'm sure I got a couple head shots and nothing special happened.  Also, put a little info icon or something on the back of the widget, it took me all minute to figure out how to turn the widget back around. I used up my entire attention span!

[Edit] Opps!  I guess I didn't get head shots because by damn I got one for sure because the animation was obvious.  Very cool AMG!

[Edit[Edit]] I'm still not getting gibs on every kill though!  And they seem to have stopped fighting back.  It appears that the fat cats over at tMFPPG inc just don't care about us any more!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#49 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:14 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on July 13th 2007, 08:52 PM, said:

Yay!  I'm famous!  I'm in the Magical Flying Pink Pony Game credits made by... some guy, not sure who.

I thought my awesomeness was so obvious that there wasn't any need to specifically mention me?

I'm not getting gibs on every shot.
Indeed.  You need at least a 3X bonus to get any gibs...only way to get gibs with less is by getting headshots or hitting drunk ponies.

Plus I'm sure I got a couple head shots and nothing special happened.

I can get headshots pretty consistently when they're slow-moving...faster ones are more hit and miss.  So to speak.  Ha ha!

Also, put a little info icon or something on the back of the widget, it took me all minute to figure out how to turn the widget back around. I used up my entire attention span!

Yeah, the default is just to click somewhere to flip back over, but it doesn't say that anywhere.

And they seem to have stopped fighting back.

Nope, I haven't changed that at all.  (TMFPPG Inc. would never, ever ignore its customers! Except for those occasions when it does.)  The longer you last, the more chance there is that they'll try to zap you.  Very early on, the chance is small enough that, by chance, they might go for a while without zapping, just by chance, in a chancy sort of way, ya know?

--Eric

#50 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

Love the latest version! (Even though I'm still no good at judging the lead time and distances.)

EDIT - CORRECTED:
FWIW, mine doesn't needed to be deleted to stop using CPU time, but it does need to be closed. Flipping it over still uses 1.6-1.7% CPU time on my 2.3 C2D, even while Folding@Home. But closing it frees up that fraction of CPU time--and then I can launch it from the widget bar any time to play.

Hopefully Unity will be updated to use 0% CPU when Dashboard is closed, just like when the widget is flipped.

Suggestion for a new paradigm in software distribution: put the D/L link in your sig so we don't have to go back to p.1 :)

#51 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:58 PM

Yay, going to get the stand alone in some period of time later!!! YAY!!!

I just had a though that it would be really cool if you could give the version number in the info for the widget. I just looked at the newest version of ponykiller, and it said version "1.0". It was just a though that I had.

YAY!!! CHANGES!!! I would have to say that I do like the "The Magical Flying Pink Pony Killer game" sign thingy. I also like the credits and the "CLICK TO START" colour changing thing, its all great. :D

Liberator.

#52 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:09 PM

View Postnagromme, on July 13th 2007, 10:00 PM, said:

Flipping it over still uses 1.6-1.7% CPU time on my 2.3 C2D, even while Folding@Home. But closing it frees up that fraction of CPU time--and then I can launch it from the widget bar any time to play.

That's bizarre...the plugin is disabled when the widget is flipped, so I'm not sure how it could be using CPU time then.  It's always 0% on my G5.  What are they doing with those wacky Intel machines?

Suggestion for a new paradigm in software distribution: put the D/L link in your sig so we don't have to go back to p.1 :)
It's in Liberator's sig.  ;)  It's also on the back of the widget....

View PostThe Liberator, on July 13th 2007, 10:58 PM, said:

Yay, going to get the stand alone in some period of time later!!! YAY!!!

"Later" being about 5 minutes ago!  Enjoy!  I also bumped up the resolution of the background pic for the stand-alone...I have to keep it 24 bit so it takes up a fair amount of space.  Normally I'd just have it use texture compression, but that's not so good with smooth gradients, and since the rainbow is nothing but smooth gradients, it gets completely murdered by the DXT compression.  I've never seen anything like it.  Quite shocking.  Normally I can hardly notice DXT compression artifacts.

I just had a though that it would be really cool if you could give the version number in the info for the widget.

That's a very good thought, and in fact I did that for version 14.0 I think, but forgot for the last couple of versions.  Bad me!  Bad!  ::whacks self with rolled-up newspaper::

--Eric

#53 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:51 PM

I want Stand alone tooo!
Gimme gimme!
Btw, i havnt seen my special pony death yet. i am in a household with dialup(praise the day the world has wireless broadband everywere!)
i can not wait to see the pony decapDEATH!
AHHHHHHHHHHH!
must make more variations of ownage!

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#54 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:09 AM

oh!
i just got home!
version 15 owns!

im going to make more, pony death animations!

okay, i think that the Headshot animation needs to be moved over to when teh pony's get owned by spray from other dying ponies.
and i am going to make a proper Headshot animation! :bleedingeyes:

and hey, what does Eric and the other fellow IMG'ers think of the prospect of an appearence from the...NINJAS!!!!!!!!! (?)

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#55 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:42 AM

View PostAMG, on July 14th 2007, 02:09 AM, said:

Cool!  Could any further animations be 16 frames, and each frame be 32 pixels wide?  Obviously the current headshot animation worked out fine, but that would be even better.

okay, i think that the Headshot animation needs to be moved over to when teh pony's get owned by spray from other dying ponies.
You mean the splash damage thing?  Only problem with that is they kinda need to crash and burn, so I don't really think this animation would work in that case.  But there are other places this animation would work (yet to come), if you're going to do a headshot animation too.

and hey, what does Eric and the other fellow IMG'ers think of the prospect of an appearence from the...NINJAS!!!!!!!!! (?)

Well, this is a pony widget.  However a ninja widget could appear at a future date...you never know....

--Eric

#56 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:12 AM

Eric, you're totally awesome, dude! Thanks for the stand-alone app.

Having such morbid fun with a silly game like this should be criminal. :lol:
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#57 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:26 AM

Thanks for the standalone version Eric. It's really great. I love how you can have nice big resolutions. :D
As Pegasus said, its so much better!!! A lot more magical pink pony killing action now!!!

Thanks, Liberator.

P.S. Maybe you should copyright the idea of this great game Eric, or some one else is bound to. :glare:

#58 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:18 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on July 14th 2007, 06:26 PM, said:

P.S. Maybe you should copyright the idea of this great game Eric, or some one else is bound to. :glare:
Just so you know,
1. Copyright does not apply to ideas, but to specific expressions of them, and
2. Copyright automatically subsists and is granted to the author upon the creation of a work.

And for extra copyright fun, Eric's widget is a derivative work of Janichsan's original pink winged magical pony artwork.  :nods:

#59 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:23 AM

Me clever... :P

But seriously though, artwork!!! Yay, go Janichsan!!! ERIC!!! You copycat, you.  :angry:

Liberator.

Just kidding, of course... :nods:

#60 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:28 AM

View PostAMG, on July 13th 2007, 11:09 PM, said:

oh!
i just got home!
version 15 owns!

Excellent idea!!!!

and i am going to make a proper Headshot animation! :bleedingeyes:
OMG!  Excellent idea!!!

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:
This idea totally SUCKS!!!  Where do you get your ideas??????  eh???  WHERE????  This widget is about mowing down cute little innocent fluffy things.  If you want to add a new creature it should be a little baby Magical Flying Pink Pony.  Just a sweet big eyed waif of a little pony still in diapers, too little to fly, and can only hop along the ground like a little pink bunny wunny.  Now THAT would be tMFPPG cannon fodder.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat