The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:38 PM

View PostEric5h5, on July 7th 2007, 03:23 PM, said:

...I'll PM you when I release version 12.0.  That was just version 7.8.4beta2 RC 127.4c, which was barely an upgrade over the previous version, 3.7562pre-beta767 alpha niner subversion2.465.231q, so it hardly seemed worth bothering you about...
Nearly at version 12.0. yay!!! :cool:

View Postthe Battle Cat, on July 8th 2007, 07:10 AM, said:

How about if the Magical Flying Pink Ponies fight back.  With um... MAGIC and stuff.  When one starts to glow, it means it's going to fire.  Shooting them down while glowing gives double bonus as well as saves your hinney because a Magical Flying Pink Pony NEVER MISSES!  When it hits you, the screen is covered with little daisies, candy canes, lollypops, stars and teddy bears that go splat on the screen then drip down quickly.   It harms you, and gives them a little cover from your fire.
Great idea, you need to do that A.S.A.P Eric!!!

View PostEric5h5, on July 8th 2007, 10:35 AM, said:

Ooh, that's creepy, because I had a similar idea myself!  Sadly I haven't had much time to work on it today, but I did manage to update it to version 10.58Qbeta78D4a, the Extra Cool Bonus Version.  Still at the usual link above.
  • Different colored bonus text!
  • Crash bonus now multiplied by 2 for each additional crash that occurs within 3 seconds!
  • Last-second save bonus!  If you hit a pony just before it goes off-screen, you get a 2X bonus!  But this is way cooler than it sounds, because it's multiplied on top of whatever bonus you already have!!  So, for example, if you got a 5X bonus for blowing a pony up but you also hit it just before it escapes, you'd get a total of 10X!!! Wow!!!!
  • Rapidfire bonus!  If you blow up two ponies in rapid succession (within 1 second) and you manage to get a bonus multiplier with the second hit (which is likely), you get a cool 5000 points on top of that!  Amazing!
  • Fixed silly bug which could, in certain circumstances, multiply your points by 0, which would result in no points being added to your score!  No fun!  Lame!  Just because two lines of code were swapped...heh heh, oops....
  • Bonus text can no longer appear partially off the screen!  So can fully appreciate your lovely bonuses at all times!
  • Something else that I forgot!  Guess it wasn't too important!!  [Edit: oh yeah, I remember now!  I bumped up the font resolution because it was just too annoyingly blocky in full-screen mode!  Was that worth making the .zip file 28K bigger or what!!]
--Eric
In short: cool awsome new suff!!!

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#22 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:42 AM

I noticed in the Activity Monitor that this widget sucks up processor time even when the widgets are not activated.  I need that processor time for folding@home.  Lives are at stake!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#23 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:40 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on July 8th 2007, 09:42 AM, said:

I noticed in the Activity Monitor that this widget sucks up processor time even when the widgets are not activated.  I need that processor time for folding@home.  Lives are at stake!!

I'm not sure .1% of 1 CPU counts as "sucking up processor time", but I can do a stand-alone version if you'd like.  You can put it in the dock, ready for launching at a moment's notice, and it would be about as good as a widget.  Actually better, because you can choose what resolution to play in, as well as different quality settings (6X FSAA and 8X AF oh yeah!), AND it saves your high score.  (The code for high score saving is in the widget version, but unfortunately it only seems to work for stand-alones.)  The downside is that it's 4.4MB for a PPC version or 8MB for a UB, and sadly I don't have that kind of web space.  I could email it to you though.

But you certainly don't want to miss out on...wait for it...VERSION 12.0!  The gib edition!!  Yay!!!  ]Same link as usual!
  • Gibs!  This is what physics engines are made for!  Bonus multipliers aren't enough for you?  What's wrong with you anyway, points are awesome!  But if you want more, now--in addition to bonus multipliers--ponies start gibbing at 3X and get gibbier and gibbier as the multiplier goes up!!!  WHOAH!!!!!!!!
  • Gibs!  Sure, I just listed that bullet point, but it's so awesome it needs more than one!
  • Gibs!  That's right!  Gibs!
  • The last-second bonus is even cooler now (as if that was possible), because you always get a decent amount of gibs with one no matter what!
  • Completely fixed issue where you could have artifacts in bands at top and bottom of screen in some circumstances!  Plus this sped things up in 4:3 screen modes, so now it gets around 500fps on my G5 when not much is happening.  Though it can still go down to ~150fps or so when there's a lot of gibs and particles and stuff on-screen.
  • Did I mention gibs?!?! :pinkpony:
--Eric

#24 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:12 PM

Yay, version 12.0.

Lots of new stuff!!! Yay!!!

I definitely would like a stand alone version of it (via email).

Thanks, Liberator.

P.S. My profile has my email...

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

#25 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:15 PM

View PostEric5h5, on July 8th 2007, 01:40 PM, said:

I'm not sure .1% of 1 CPU counts as "sucking up processor time"

But you certainly don't want to miss out on...wait for it...VERSION 12.0!  The gib edition!!  Yay!!!  Same link as usual!
  • Did I mention gibs?!?! :pinkpony:
--Eric
It shouldn't suck up ANY processor time when the widget is not activated.  What's it doing anyway?  Looking at my pr0n?  er... that I don't have?

I gotta admit that the gibs are amazingly good, nice touch to have it spatter onto your face plate!  As Picard would say, "Nicely done!".  So, when are the Magical Flying Pink Ponies going to start fighting back?  Let' kick it up a notch!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#26 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:31 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on July 8th 2007, 08:15 PM, said:

What's it doing anyway?  Looking at my pr0n?  er... that I don't have?

Of course not...your pr0n is boring.  It's pre-processing the advanced artificial intelligence routines, so when you switch back to the widget, the ponies will move straight left or right in a highly intelligent fashion.  I know it's hard to tell the difference, but if you squint really hard...oh, who am I kidding.  I have no idea.  I made a test widget that does absolutely nothing, and it still takes up .1% CPU time.  Maybe I'll ask the Unity guys what's going on.

So, when are the Magical Flying Pink Ponies going to start fighting back?  Let' kick it up a notch!!

Well, I have to find some little daisies, candy canes, lollypops, stars and teddy bears first.  Maybe later tonight.  Maybe tomorrow.  I'll send a stand-alone to anyone who wants one when it's done, or when it gets to version 27pi66delta89.67c7, whichever comes first.  Still waiting on MightySlugMan's killer pony animation, too...do you have Flash yet?  Is it done yet?  How about now?  OK, how about now?

--Eric

#27 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:24 AM

this is the best widget ever.  I've never really cared about widgets before.  I have iStat, doppler radar, and a calendar that are pretty handy.  But meh.  This Magical Flying Pink Pony blasting widget has captured my imagination, especially the last few incarnations of it.  Keep it coming Eric, you might have the killer-widget-of-all-time on your hands.  I'll see if I can find some pony ammo graphics.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#28 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:52 AM

May I suggest adding a version check into the next version of the widget?  I've passed this link to several friends who have told me that they never thought shooting down pink ponies would be so fun.  Alas, I don't think that they are regular browsers of the IMG forums and as such have no way of knowing when a new version is out.

Edit:
Not that I needed justification to shoot down a pink pony before, but there is photographic evidence of the thieving menace their kind pose.

#29 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:20 AM

View PostEric5h5, on July 8th 2007, 09:31 PM, said:

Still waiting on MightySlugMan's killer pony animation, too...do you have Flash yet?  Is it done yet?  How about now?  OK, how about now?

I got Flash today!  but I have to go back to work in a couple hours :(  But I'll start poking around at it tonight if acute laziness doesn't over come me.   :cool:
"Nothing here but us text"

#30 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:16 PM

Better and better! Have you decided whether to use WoW's monthly subscription model?

The "gore sliding down the glass" effect is just the CUTEST! (I wonder if the gibs/blood would look good being magenta like the ponies instead of red? I don't know why that seems like it might look right to me.)

You should stop improving this product so rapidly--it only encourages us all to look for things to improve and sound ungrateful about :)

Four more suggestions (I'm sure all are on your To Do list anyway):

* Hold button to rapid-fire instead of rapid-clicking? (If that makes the game too easy, maybe enforce a "reload" pause where you must lift your finger off the button every so many shots?)

* Allow clicking to start the game (so no keyboard is needed)

* Implement pause--maybe on right-click?--to enjoy the scenery

* Incorporate a frame capture from The Godfather with a pink pony head

#31 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:57 PM

View Postnagromme, on July 9th 2007, 12:16 PM, said:

* Hold button to rapid-fire instead of rapid-clicking? (If that makes the game too easy, maybe enforce a "reload" pause where you must lift your finger off the button every so many shots?)
I have another school of thought on that.  For me it's not about ease or challenge.  It's the pure joy of blasting Magical Flying Pink Ponies out of the sky.  The more that is happening on the screen the happier I am.  Over the top carnage, and the air filled with ponies, missiles, bonus notes, smoke and gibs is what brings ME to the table.  The more of all of that the better for me.

In fact, give us a second weapon, a chain gun that we can fire at the same time.  It can do less damage and be spread all around where a missile would hit.  Magical Flying Pink Ponies MUST BE STOPPED AT ALL COSTS!

Edit: A third weapon would be cool too,  Something you can thump on just to try to throw some damage out there onto the killing field.  A chainsaw mortar.  Each click of the key launches a running chainsaw downrange in an arching trajectory.  Hopefully you will hit a Magical Flying Pink Pony and rend it asunder.  Or a twain.  In HALF I mean.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#32 Hapa Hanu

Hapa Hanu

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:29 PM

I just tried out this nefarious product. Eric5h5. Kudos and salutations!

You have delivered a superior product encapsulating the paradox of cold technology and mystical whimsies. Brilliant and stunning.

BACK! BACK OFF! GIVE Eric5h5 some breathing room!

:: pushes the throngs of wanna be Flying Pink Pony Killers away ::

Do not compromise your vision Eric5h5! Don't let our opinions sway your creative energies!

Although, I have the following two recommendations:

Something cuter than a Flying Pink Pony which crosses the screen from time to time. When the player destroys it - it gives the player a temporary power-up to shoot 3 rockets per click. Perhaps a balloon with a smiley face on it?

Another weapon would be fun, but why settle for a smaller weapon? Perhaps from a multiple Pink Pony crash; a throbbing but cute cartoonish heart springs from the pile. Shoot the symbol of love before it disseappears and the rocket launcher is replaced with a Fusion bomb - usable once to clear the screen of cuteness.

#33 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

I got some stars, lollypops, etc. graphics so the pony-shooting-back-ness will commence shortly!  The version check is a good idea.  I'll have to figure out some internet stuff which might take a few hours, but that's OK since I was going to have to learn that sooner or later anyway.  I'm a little leary about adding a lot of different weapons and stuff, even though that would be cool, since that's straying more into full game territory and this is supposed to be a widget, so I wanted to keep it relatively simple.  Although increasing magical flying pink pony carnage in some fashion is, of course, to be desired.  So all suggestions are being considered carefully.  And then ignored.  (Just kidding!  But they might or might not be implemented, possibly in a somewhat different form.)

Originally I was using space to restart because of the possibility of accidentally clicking right after a game was done, but there's a slight input pause upon "game over" now (for a good reason that isn't apparent yet).  So I can change that to click no problem.  I can make the gibs pinker, sure, but I think the blood should be red.  Otherwise I'll start thinking of the Klingons in Star Trek VI, ya know?

In the meantime, here's a slight version bump to 13.67epsilon.807j at the usual link!
  • Weaving ponies!  They're not drunk, they're trying to take evasive action!  Or maybe they are drunk after all!  I don't know!  It doesn't matter!  What matters is that after enough regular ponies have been blown up, there's an increasing chance that one of them might start weaving!  This makes them a bit harder to hit!  But it's not all bad!  You get 50% more base points!  And 50% more gibs!  In fact they always gib no matter what, even if you don't have any bonus multipliers!  Yum!  And since they have to concentrate so much on weaving, they can't go very fast!  So maybe they aren't much harder to hit after all!  Ha ha!
  • Occasional low-flying ponies!  These are incredible!  Well, OK, they really aren't any different, they're just low-flying!  I dunno why!  Stop asking me!  Just to mix things up a bit, I guess!  They can't weave, either, not ever, since they might hit the ground if they did that!  And since they're closer, they're easier to hit!  On the other hand, since they're closer, there's a bit more chance you might get splattered with gibs!  But who cares!
  • A couple of minor cosmetic changes which you may or may not notice!  But they're awesome anyway!
--Eric

#34 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:08 AM

Yay changes!!! A kind of full game would be awsome though, think of the magical pony killing possibilities!!! Imagine!!!
Anyways, in the end it is your game. That woould be reall great it go into version tracker!!! Yeah, more magical pony killing for the whole world. I do think it would be really good if sometimes a bunny or something nice a loveydovey would jut come quickly across. I think it wooul be better if instead or how many you let escape out of 10 determines you game overness, it should be one pony escapes and your points go down. lower and higher points for easir and harder targerts (of course). When you get to a certain part negativeness in points you loose. Maybe that could work?

Liberator.

#35 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:19 AM

I'd like to see a panic button you could figuratively slam your fist down on.  A tactical nuke would go off and clear all the ponies in sight, but now the survivors are glowing radioactive and are tougher plus you start seeing mutants that fight back harder.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#36 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:50 PM

View PostRanger_Joe, on July 9th 2007, 11:52 AM, said:

Not that I needed justification to shoot down a pink pony before, but there is photographic evidence of the thieving menace their kind pose.

Ha!  I knew it!  They deserve everything they get!  Shoot 'em down with extreme prejudice, boys!

View PostThe Liberator, on July 10th 2007, 02:08 AM, said:

I do think it would be really good if sometimes a bunny or something nice a loveydovey would jut come quickly across.

That is a good idea, though I think the game should stick to ponies of one sort or another in the interest of focus.  Maybe a non-flying pink magical pony that trots across the ground?  If somebody makes an animation of a trotting pink pony I'll put it in.

I think it wooul be better if instead or how many you let escape out of 10 determines you game overness, it should be one pony escapes and your points go down.
Sadly you didn't suggest this to begin with, so now the gameplay's kinda stuck with with the "escape out of 10" idea, because it would be too annoying to change at this point.  Though the number "10" is just a number that could be anything....

View Postthe Battle Cat, on July 10th 2007, 11:19 AM, said:

I'd like to see a panic button you could figuratively slam your fist down on.  A tactical nuke would go off and clear all the ponies in sight, but now the survivors are glowing radioactive and are tougher plus you start seeing mutants that fight back harder.

Hmm, I had an idea kinda sorta slightly a bit maybe like that but not really, although it didn't involve radiation.  Stay tuned!

But enough chatter...how can we sit around blabbing like this when the massively awesome version 14.0 is out?!?!!  Yes!  Go get it!!
  • Glowing ponies that fight back!  After a while the ponies start getting mad, so some of them might charge up and let loose with a glowing bolt of happy nice pink pony magicalness that splatters your faceplate with cute stuff!  Yuck!!!  You don't want this, 'cause it's hard to see for a bit!  Blow them up while they're charging to prevent this, for a nice 2,000 point bonus and extra sparkly bits in the resulting explosion!
  • Version checking!  This is amazing, but you can't tell how amazing it is, because it was just implemented!  So of course you have the latest version, or else you have an older version without version checking so it won't do anything anyway!!  Oh well!!!  Just wait till next time!
  • Mid-air bonus!  If you knock a pony out with splash damage and manage to shoot it while it's falling, you get an astounding 25,000 bonus points!  'Cause it's pretty darn hard to do!!
  • Speaking of falling ponies, they now flap frantically when they're falling!  If you were knocked out of the sky by the force of a nearby explosion, you wouldn't just continue to flap in a leisurely fashion as you hurtled toward the ground and your impending demise, would you?  No, I don't think that you would!!
  • Continuous fire by holding down the mouse button!  This feature required the exhausting, mind-numbing work of changing "if (GetButtonDown("Fire1"))" to "if (GetButton("Fire1"))", so I hope you appreciate it!  But remember that a miss resets your bonus multiplier, so are you sure you really want to use this?!  But go ahead if you need to!!
  • Pause by pressing "p"!  Unpause by pressing "p" again!!  This feature was there all along but I never said anything about it!  Ha ha!
Wow!  All that, plus I discovered that if you flip the widget over, it uses 0% CPU when inactive instead of .1%.  Nice.  The glowing ponies only splatter the screen and don't hurt you, because like I said I think things should remain relatively simple, and adding a health meter or something seems unnecessary.  Surely it's enough that your view is impaired, which might allow more ponies to escape?  Or not?  Maybe your rocket launcher should get stuck for a couple of seconds too, or would that just be annoying?  Anything about existing elements that should be changed?

--Eric

#37 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:21 PM

What, version 14.0 wasn't good enough for you lot?  How about version 15.0 then?
  • Megaponies!  If you shoot a bunch of ponies, you might start seeing these!  They are pinker than pink...in fact they're red!  And they go faster than usual!  So they're hard to hit!  But it's not all bad! If you don't hit them, they don't count toward the escaped ponies total!  Yay!  They don't reset your bonus multiplier either!  Yay again!  So why even bother trying to hit them?!? Well, if you do, they're worth 2X the base points!  Wow!!  And they go boom big time!  I mean it!!  Let's just say you won't have to worry about any ponies for a while!  No special bonus though!  Ha ha!  Why not?!?  You'll see!!!

• End of game stats!  So you can see how well you did!  Or how badly you did, if you're a loser who can't aim!  Your high stats are also saved!  Seriously!!  This is trivial for stand-alone games, but it was not that easy to get the widget to do it!  So you better like it!  This means you can flip the widget over now or close it, and your high score etc. don't get reset!  Nifty!  But you can delete the preferences file if you want to reset them anyway!  For whatever reason!  Maybe your kid sister got a high score that's 5 times higher than you could ever manage, and you want to erase the evidence of your incompetence!!  Or something!

• The version checking doesn't work as well as it should!  Apparently widgets cache the result of the version check (it's just a tiny text file with the version number, which lives on my site)!  Which basically makes sense since widgets are really just web pages!  But it's annoying, because it might not know there's a new version for a while!!  Argh!!!  How do I make it work better??!!?  Someone tell me!!!!!  Also you can turn off version checking now!  But why would you ever want to?!  If you're not online, the widget doesn't waste time trying to check anyway, so there's really no point to this feature!  Especially since version checking doesn't work as well as it should!  Did I mention that?!  Maybe you'd want to turn it off if you're insane!  And we don't want to discriminate against crazy people, do we?!!  Of course we don't!
EDIT: Wait!  I deleted the version check file and re-uploaded it, so it has a different date now.  Does that work?  Maybe someone who has 14.0 but hasn't installed 15.0 yet can tell me...I can't test it now without messing things up (just in case someone already downloaded the new version, ya know).

--Eric

#38 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:33 PM

damn, you're on a roll!

Flash a bit overwhelming for a n00b like me.  so it's going to be a little while before I have any killer pink ponies flogging themselves across the screen.  I think I'm going to have to pick up a book.  hopefully i'll have something to show for slackerness before school picks up again!

edit - the new version doesn't work.  When i double click to isntall the widget, it claims that it's a *gasp* fake (or not a widget at all)!  after hooking us all into murdering sweet pink ponies and having us grapple at each new version, we've been double crossed with a version that exploits our computers to be in Eric's grubby hands!

EDIT 2!!! - i also forgot to mention, when i flip the widget over and click "get latest version" (or whatever it says), the widget crashes and reloads.  fyi.

EDIT 3!! zorks! - and yes, the version check does work :crazy:
"Nothing here but us text"

#39 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:18 PM

Are you considering releasing a stand-alone app? At the moment, I'm not able to play with widgets due to 10.3.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#40 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:51 PM

View PostMightySlugMan, on July 12th 2007, 05:33 PM, said:

Flash a bit overwhelming for a n00b like me.  so it's going to be a little while before I have any killer pink ponies flogging themselves across the screen.  I think I'm going to have to pick up a book.  hopefully i'll have something to show for slackerness before school picks up again!

Fine, be that way!  But actually all I really need is some individual frames of a pony flapping in place.  Ideally 8 frames or even more ideally 16 frames.  I would have to extract the frames from a flash animation anyway...I think that would be just for previewing the animation on your end to make sure it works OK.  

edit - the new version doesn't work.  When i double click to isntall the widget, it claims that it's a *gasp* fake (or not a widget at all)! [snip]i also forgot to mention, when i flip the widget over and click "get latest version" (or whatever it says), the widget crashes and reloads.  fyi.

WTH??!?!?!?!!  Well, I rebuilt the widget and re-uploaded it.  I thought I made sure it worked, but you never know!  Let me know if it still says it's a fake.  And also let me know if the "get latest version" thing crashes...it never did here, but if it still does, what OS version / browser are you running?

View PostPegasus, on July 12th 2007, 06:18 PM, said:

Are you considering releasing a stand-alone app? At the moment, I'm not able to play with widgets due to 10.3.

I'd think someone named Pegasus would be out in the streets protesting this widget.  ;)  It's still not done but probably in a state where a stand-alone would be OK.  Unless anyone has about 8MB of web space that would like to host it, I'll email a stand-alone to anyone who wants one.  I guess that's you and Liberator so far?

--Eric