493 replies to this topic

#1 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:36 AM

So this evening, while looking for something else, I happened to come across a rocket launcher model that looks suspiciously like the one in Quake 3, so naturally my first thought was, "That would go great with the flying pink ponies widget!"  Which had its origin in this topic.  So I slapped a metal texture I had lying around on the rocket launcher and for some reason it didn't look completely silly.  This was inspirational.  And then, since none of the L4M3RZ in that topic could be stuffed to make a pony animation for me, I was forced to implement my own.  See what you've done?  Regretting it yet?  Thought so.  :pinkpony:

So after some hours (yes, I have now spent several HOURS on this silliness--I'd recommend that the next rich person who stops by this topic donate huge gobs of cash to me for this amazing service to humanity)...anyway, after some hours now we have:

Posted Image
  • An on-screen rocket launcher!  Yay!  But the missiles are a little smaller now so they'll fit inside.
  • Major gameplay innovation: ponies now come from the right and the left!  Incredible!  :pinkpony:
  • Points!  High score!!  Bonus points!!!  I'm getting dizzy from the awesomeness!!!!
  • Splash damage!  Knock nearby ponies into a deadly spin, and you get a nice 2X bonus when they crash!
  • Ground!  This is what they crash into!  Plus you can shoot it!!  Um...but only because I already had this scorch mark routine, so I just plugged it in.  I'm not sure why you'd want to.  Someone help me out here...what's a good reason for shooting the ground?
  • Possibly some bugs!  I hope not though!  But tell me if you find any!
  • More!  Much more!  Or not...I can't really remember.  Probably not.
So, you gotta shoot the suckers, right?  Because if 10 of them escape, game over time!  That would suck!  You get 100 points for the slowest-moving ponies, and 500 points for the fastest, and anything in-between!  If you hit two in a row, you get 2X the points!  If you hit three in a row, you get 3X the points!!  If you hit four...etc. etc. yadda yadda yadda.  But the bonus counter gets reset if 1) you miss 2) a pony escapes or 3) 5 seconds pass without any explosions.  So don't let that happen!  Go for the big bonuses!!!  Yeah!!!!!!

Or something.  What other totally incredible amazing awesome stuff should I put in there to make this the most incredib...ly stupid widget of all time?  I'm listening!  Either that or I'm just ignoring you!

:pinkpony: Oh yeah...Get it here! :pinkpony:  If you had the old version installed, delete it first instead of just installing over it, so you can get the stupendous new icon!  :pinkpony:

--Eric

#2 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:21 AM

I would have to say that is a great new version of the Pony Killer widget!!! The funny thing is it's all thanks to me. :cool:

As I said before...

View PostThe Liberator, on July 3rd 2007, 04:49 PM, said:

...Thanks, I've had great fun. :D...
...and...

View PostThe Liberator, on July 4th 2007, 10:11 AM, said:

...Anyways, I liked the first version, and now this one is even better. I'm giving high hopes for you next one Eric. :)...
...Now, this one is even better. I really like what you did to the background and everything.
I now have even higher hopes for the next version. :pinkpony:

Liberator.

P.S. I'm putting this in my signature. Eric, could you PM me when you have the next version? It's the greatest widget ever (no offence Davey JJ)!!!

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:04 AM

View PostEric5h5, on July 5th 2007, 11:36 PM, said:

What other totally incredible amazing awesome stuff should I put in there to make this the most incredib...ly stupid widget of all time?  I'm listening!  Either that or I'm just ignoring you!

SPLASH DAMAGE!  Thanks!  Completely freaking awesome!  BUT... you left out magical flying pink pony death screams.  You need like a Marathon Bob dying sound when they are hit and explode, and then you need the burning BoB dying sound when they are splash damaged and spin out of control into ground.  If you are worried about copyrights, you can use my falling scream in this sound byte.  Just remove the before and after parts of the falling scream.

You should have a scorch mark where the pony hits the ground too.  I'm positive the magical flying pink ponies leave a scorch mark when they slam into the ground.  One time I swear a pink pony slid down the rainbow and crashed into the ground!  I'm not sophisticated enough to make things like that up.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:22 AM

At last a way to vent my frustrations on flying pink ponies without upsetting the mythical animal protection groups.  Thank you!

#5 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:17 AM

I'm getting Flash in the mail next week.  Maybe I'll try my hand at a super killer pink pony animation.  we'll see how well college has taught me thus far...
"Nothing here but us text"

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:57 AM

Ah, excellent. I like the sparkling magic trails the ponies leave. But it needs some more gruesome death animations... :pinkpony:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:11 PM

Thanks!

But make the gibs last longer :)

#8 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:33 PM

It is very awesome!  Thanks.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#9 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:26 PM

View PostThe Liberator, on July 6th 2007, 05:21 AM, said:

The funny thing is it's all thanks to me. :cool:

You have to be careful what you say on the forums...you never know when it will be turned against you...or at least turned into a widget....

View PostMightySlugMan, on July 6th 2007, 01:17 PM, said:

I'm getting Flash in the mail next week.  Maybe I'll try my hand at a super killer pink pony animation.

That would be totally cool!  No, actually, it would be beyond totally cool!!!

I had a few minutes just now so I uploaded a new version, same link as above.  Sorry no PM this time, Liberator, it's just a minor tweak.
  • Death scream for falling ponies!  Thanks to tBC for the great awesome cool sound effect, although it's higher-pitched now!
  • Scorch mark when said falling ponies hit the ground!
  • Fixed bug where flying ponies could bump into each other!  (The stupid thing was I already fixed this bug; it just needed the ponies to be tagged "Pony", but I left them untagged...oops....)
  • Fixed issue where back of rocket launcher could be seen if you pointed way down!
  • Unfixed bug where ponies knocked off the screen by splash damage count as escapees!  That's not really fair, is it?  I just noticed this bug this very moment...I'll fix it next time....
Check my high bonus multiplier of 20X, with a high score of 138,000 or so!  Ha!  And that was without cheating...with cheating, my high bonus is 10000000X with a high score of infinity!

Longer-lasting particles are trivial...heck, I could fill the screen with particles, but I want to be nice to older or crappier hardware.  I normally get 200-300fps in full-screen mode on my G5, but there are those of you using those annoying Macbooks and stuff out there to consider.  Although I do have an idea or two.  Heh heh heh.  Heh heh.  Heh heh heh heh heh.  Heh.  Heh.  (The textures exist in higher resolution, too, except for the pony, but I was trying to keep the size down as much as possible.  Or does anyone want less bitmappy textures for a few 100K more?)

--Eric

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:35 PM

Please sir, may I have more pudding?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:42 PM

View PostEric5h5, on July 7th 2007, 07:26 AM, said:

You have to be careful what you say on the forums...you never know when it will be turned against you...or at least turned into a widget...
Is that supposed to be funny or serious? I'm gonna take it as more that half serious; so thanks. :)

...I had a few minutes just now so I uploaded a new version, same link as above.  Sorry no PM this time, Liberator, it's just a minor tweak.
It was just a thought. It's just that this idea was so original, innovative and new (at least I think)... :unsure:

Lots of cool new stuff [This post was shrunken down into one sentence].

--Eric
Yay, lots of cool new stuff!!! :happy:

Liberator.

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

#12 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:23 PM

View PostThe Liberator, on July 6th 2007, 10:42 PM, said:

Is that supposed to be funny or serious? I'm gonna take it as more that half serious; so thanks. :)

Well, if you laughed, then it was supposed to be funny, but if you didn't laugh, then it was deadly serious.  Or possibly a failed attempt at funny.  Whatever works!

It was just a thought. It's just that this idea was so original, innovative and new (at least I think)... :unsure:
I'll PM you when I release version 12.0.  That was just version 7.8.4beta2 RC 127.4c, which was barely an upgrade over the previous version, 3.7562pre-beta767 alpha niner subversion2.465.231q, so it hardly seemed worth bothering you about.

[This post was shrunken down into one sentence].

Ack!  You squished all my beautiful words into one little squished sentence!  Argh!  Ack!

--Eric

#13 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:06 AM

FWIW, fullscreen has blocky artifacts in bands at the top and bottom of the screen. (iMac C2D/7600GT.)

I only mention it because such carnage deserves a big view :)

#14 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:48 AM

View Postnagromme, on July 7th 2007, 02:06 AM, said:

FWIW, fullscreen has blocky artifacts in bands at the top and bottom of the screen. (iMac C2D/7600GT.)

Eek, that's no good.  I changed the default full-screen res to 1440x900 and also turned on vsync for good measure.  Did that help at all?  (Same link.)  Did that mess up any 4:3 CRT users (still works fine here)?  Also fixed the "knocked off screen = escapee" bug while I was at it.

--Eric

#15 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:05 AM

Eric,
I thought that maybe there could be more pony killing fun (with your consent), by having the widget uploaded onto the Apple Dashboard Widgets page? As I said about PMing me about the newest version, I thought that maybe it could be uploaded so there would be more fun for other people with the Greatest Widget ever )no offence DaveyJJ)!!!

Thanks, Liberator.

P.S. It was just a thought. :)

#16 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:59 AM

Forget "Bungie Day", from now on this will be known as "The Guy Who Did the Magical Flying Pink Pony Widget Day".

Happy The Guy Who Did the Magical Flying Pink Pony Widget Day everybody!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#17 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:23 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on July 7th 2007, 10:59 AM, said:

Forget "Bungie Day", from now on this will be known as "The Guy Who Did the Magical Flying Pink Pony Widget Day".

Happy The Guy Who Did the Magical Flying Pink Pony Widget Day everybody!

Thanks The Guy Who Did the Magical Flying Pink Pony Widget, whoever you were...
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#18 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:16 PM

View Postnobody, on July 7th 2007, 12:23 PM, said:

Thanks The Guy Who Did the Magical Flying Pink Pony Widget, whoever you were...

Some weirdo, no doubt.  Why does he get a day named after him?  I object!

As far as submitting to Apple, I'm not sure they'd approve of such wanton violence.  In any case it should be more finished before that's even a consideration.

--Eric

#19 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:10 PM

View PostEric5h5, on July 7th 2007, 11:16 AM, said:

As far as submitting to Apple, I'm not sure they'd approve of such wanton violence.  In any case it should be more finished before that's even a consideration.

--Eric
How about if the Magical Flying Pink Ponies fight back.  With um... MAGIC and stuff.  When one starts to glow, it means it's going to fire.  Shooting them down while glowing gives double bonus as well as saves your hinney because a Magical Flying Pink Pony NEVER MISSES!  When it hits you, the screen is covered with little daisies, candy canes, lollypops, stars and teddy bears that go splat on the screen then drip down quickly.   It harms you, and gives them a little cover from your fire.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#20 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:35 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on July 7th 2007, 05:10 PM, said:

How about if the Magical Flying Pink Ponies fight back.  With um... MAGIC and stuff.  When one starts to glow, it means it's going to fire.

Ooh, that's creepy, because I had a similar idea myself!  Sadly I haven't had much time to work on it today, but I did manage to update it to version 10.58Qbeta78D4a, the Extra Cool Bonus Version.  Still at the usual link above.
  • Different colored bonus text!
  • Crash bonus now multiplied by 2 for each additional crash that occurs within 3 seconds!
  • Last-second save bonus!  If you hit a pony just before it goes off-screen, you get a 2X bonus!  But this is way cooler than it sounds, because it's multiplied on top of whatever bonus you already have!!  So, for example, if you got a 5X bonus for blowing a pony up but you also hit it just before it escapes, you'd get a total of 10X!!! Wow!!!!
  • Rapidfire bonus!  If you blow up two ponies in rapid succession (within 1 second) and you manage to get a bonus multiplier with the second hit (which is likely), you get a cool 5000 points on top of that!  Amazing!
  • Fixed silly bug which could, in certain circumstances, multiply your points by 0, which would result in no points being added to your score!  No fun!  Lame!  Just because two lines of code were swapped...heh heh, oops....
  • Bonus text can no longer appear partially off the screen!  So can fully appreciate your lovely bonuses at all times!
  • Something else that I forgot!  Guess it wasn't too important!!  [Edit: oh yeah, I remember now!  I bumped up the font resolution because it was just too annoyingly blocky in full-screen mode!  Was that worth making the .zip file 28K bigger or what!!]
--Eric