#21 miclar1

miclar1

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:22 PM

View Postmattw, on December 20th 2007, 01:52 PM, said:

Do you still get force feedback in Rosetta?

Yes, FFB works with my Logitech Black Momo.
No Games but Racing Sims

#22 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:10 PM

View Postmiclar1, on December 20th 2007, 10:22 PM, said:

Yes, FFB works with my Logitech Black Momo.

That's good to hear. Are you running the game under Tiger or Leopard? If you are using Leopard do the keys on your Aluminum keyboard work to switch cameras etc?
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#23 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 03:20 PM

View Postmattw, on December 21st 2007, 07:10 PM, said:

That's good to hear. Are you running the game under Tiger or Leopard? If you are using Leopard do the keys on your Aluminum keyboard work to switch cameras etc?

Just to confirm - I tried reassigning the keys in the input menu - the game does not recognize any of the keys on my aluminum Apple keyboard under Mac OS X 10.5.1.

I have set the extra buttons on my wheel to do the cameras for now and the mouse still works OK so I use that to make changes to car setups etc. If anyone can use the keyboard under Leopard I'd be interested to know.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#24 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

SiniScope Productions Inc

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 06:10 PM

View Postmattw, on December 24th 2007, 04:20 PM, said:

Just to confirm - I tried reassigning the keys in the input menu - the game does not recognize any of the keys on my aluminum Apple keyboard under Mac OS X 10.5.1.

I have set the extra buttons on my wheel to do the cameras for now and the mouse still works OK so I use that to make changes to car setups etc. If anyone can use the keyboard under Leopard I'd be interested to know.
I have loaded the game on a few of my Leopard setups and have the same problem. Very interesting... and frustrating. The chances of a fix are unbelievably slim considering Paolo is hard to work on VGP3 (man I love testing that engine!). I will let Paolo know and see what happens. But I would not hold your breath.
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#25 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:26 AM

View PostJaguarGod, on December 25th 2007, 12:10 AM, said:

I have loaded the game on a few of my Leopard setups and have the same problem. Very interesting... and frustrating. The chances of a fix are unbelievably slim considering Paolo is hard to work on VGP3 (man I love testing that engine!). I will let Paolo know and see what happens. But I would not hold your breath.

Oh well at least I know it is nothing specific to my setup. I can work around it in general but it is frustrating as you say. I'm playing the game more then ever these days since your vastly improved tracks and 2007 cars were released.

I'm looking forward to VGP3 as well. I'm hoping for tracks like Monaco, Turkey, Sepang, China, Fuji etc to match the recent seasons. I noticed that they added Silverstone on the home page for beta testers like yourself to try. It seems like it could be a while longer before release to the public, which isn't too much of a bad thing as it should be much better on release than VPG2 and it gives me time for VGP2 HD! My only worry is that as it is not planned to be a universal binary nearly everyone will be on Intel Macs at the time of release and it may not run well in Rosetta.

#26 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:58 PM

View Postmattw, on December 26th 2007, 12:26 PM, said:

Oh well at least I know it is nothing specific to my setup. I can work around it in general but it is frustrating as you say. I'm playing the game more then ever these days since your vastly improved tracks and 2007 cars were released.

I'm looking forward to VGP3 as well. I'm hoping for tracks like Monaco, Turkey, Sepang, China, Fuji etc to match the recent seasons. I noticed that they added Silverstone on the home page for beta testers like yourself to try. It seems like it could be a while longer before release to the public, which isn't too much of a bad thing as it should be much better on release than VPG2 and it gives me time for VGP2 HD! My only worry is that as it is not planned to be a universal binary nearly everyone will be on Intel Macs at the time of release and it may not run well in Rosetta.
First, let me say the new engine for VGP3 is outstanding and they added new features in Silverstone that take advantage of them. Very, very nice rendering and effects. Silverstone is a big step in the advancement of the game as it marks the first track to really show what the engine is capable of.

Now, on to the Universal Binary issue. It is on the books for Paolo and company and it should be a reality at some point in the future. Only problem is I don't know when. But Paolo knows it is a problem for some who don't want to run Windows on a Mac or run it under Rosetta emulation. From what I understand at this point, it runs under Rosetta. But there are no real specs or findings. I have not tried it for myself. It may be an option to switch to the PC side and run windows on your mac and play the PC version.

#27 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:04 PM

View PostJaguarGod, on December 26th 2007, 07:58 PM, said:

on to the Universal Binary issue. It is on the books for Paolo and company and it should be a reality at some point in the future.

That is good news, the website gave me the impression it wasn't at all likely and it would be a shame for current and future Macs to miss out on what looks to be an excellent game.

View PostJaguarGod, on December 26th 2007, 07:58 PM, said:

It may be an option to switch to the PC side and run windows on your mac and play the PC version.

I'd rather not have to buy or get into maintaining Windows and although I can for example currently boot back into Tiger on my other internal drive to avoid the keyboard issue with VGP2 in Leopard experience shows I probably won't bother. Booting into Windows also opens up competition from games like Grand Prix 4 and F1 Challenge/R Factor. VGP3 would have an advantage if it runs natively in Mac OS X (I suspect from your reviews so far that the engine has some real improvements as well over these - most of these games are getting old now).

#28 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:46 PM

View Postmattw, on December 27th 2007, 01:04 PM, said:

That is good news, the website gave me the impression it wasn't at all likely and it would be a shame for current and future Macs to miss out on what looks to be an excellent game.
I'd rather not have to buy or get into maintaining Windows and although I can for example currently boot back into Tiger on my other internal drive to avoid the keyboard issue with VGP2 in Leopard experience shows I probably won't bother. Booting into Windows also opens up competition from games like Grand Prix 4 and F1 Challenge/R Factor. VGP3 would have an advantage if it runs natively in Mac OS X (I suspect from your reviews so far that the engine has some real improvements as well over these - most of these games are getting old now).
I should clarify the UB issue... Paolo has stated that Apple (he believes) is only interested in Mac games that will be UB. He made a statement that would lead me to believe they are already working on the UB. And, the fact that it is on the books, does not mean a finished product will result. Whether or not the UB version comes to see the light of day is in Paolo's hands. I would hate to state that he is 'for sure' going to release the UB version and then have it never happen. So please do not hold me or Paolo to that just in case! ;) But I would think from these short conversations that there is more than likely a UB version in the works. I would also think that he is looking at the hype, or lack thereof, surrounding VGP3. He works on this on his own time and with very little monetary gain. He does this for the love of doing it. The VGP series has been fairly good and with some tweaking, could be great. But it needs to be known. Very hard to do when the competition is so stiff with some of the PC racers out there. He is hoping this iteration will gain a little more momentum as it nears final completion.

As far as the game itself. One of the biggest problems with the series has been the F1 license. Without it, there are many people who won't bother playing, or even trying it for that matter, if they can't use their favorite drivers and teams. Definitely understandable. I think if I, or someone else, would have been able to update the VGP2 game much earlier in it's life-cycle (though Smatchy from RSC did release a 2004 car patch for the game to his credit), the game could have been more widely accepted. I realize that I am getting to VGP2 much later than I should have. I do not plan on letting this happen with VGP3. As soon as possible I would like to release an official update to the Cars first, then the tracks to try to draw more people to it. I truly believe that the game is that good on the simulation end. I play simulators in my downtime constantly (much to the dissatisfaction of my Wife and Kids). rFactor is great simply because it has a huge modding community. But I am not really impressed with the sim side of it. Same with games like Race '07 and Live for Speed. But I believe that VGP3 has a much more simulated feel to it. Add to that the fact that there are tools being created to let a modding community really do some damage. The tools for VGP2 were very limited and that was another complication. But hopefully, with the tools for VGP3, others can get involved and start to create some really good mods.

Nothing is written in stone and this game is certainly no exception and that includes the UB issue. I definitely do not want to speak for Paolo as I don't want to anger the Gods. But I have high hopes for the finished product and the future. Simply from what I have played and tested, this could be a great game. It will definitely need some 'aftermarket love' to make it more widely accepted, but I am holding on to that hope.