70 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:02 AM

Aspyr Media's June newsletter offers an update on the status of Enemy Territory Quake Wars for Macs, as well as mention of two new games "sure to be a hit with Mac gamers." ETQW is progressing well with the goal of a release date as near to the PC version as possible.

Aspyr Studios has been working hard keeping Mac builds of Quake Wars up to date with the PC version, and the game has been really shaping up well. The graphics engine has a lot of new code over the base Doom 3/Quake 4 engine, and id's new MegaTexture technology is up and running on OS X. Aspyr's goal is to ship Quake Wars Mac very close to the PC release.
The newsletter offers little in the way of information about the two mysterious new projects, other than mention of a Christmas season release.

Aspyr Studios has begun work on two very large OS X games that are sure to be hits with Mac gamers. One is a genre that has never been on the Mac before, and the other is a more familiar game type based on a very popular brand. If all goes well, both of these games will be on shelves for Christmas
Let the speculation begin.

Head over to the link below to check out the rest of the newsletter.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:26 AM

View PostIMG News, on June 22nd 2007, 03:02 PM, said:

One is a genre that has never been on the Mac before, and the other is a more familiar game type based on a very popular brand. If all goes well, both of these games will be on shelves for Christmas
I guess, the latter one could be CoD 4. But what genre has "never been on the Mac before"?? :huh: Maybe a Cow Patty Bingo simulator?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:14 AM

View PostJanichsan, on June 22nd 2007, 09:26 AM, said:

I guess, the latter one could be CoD 4. But what genre has "never been on the Mac before"?? :huh: Maybe a Cow Patty Bingo simulator?

I'm hoping the the latter one is Beyond the Sword (Civ4).
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#4 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:17 AM

hopefully its CoD4. looks amazing.

as for the new genre, ive got absolutely no idea.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#5 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:20 AM

Probably two extra expansions for the Sims.
I Can't Feel My Torso Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#6 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:21 AM

Hoping one of them is Tomb Raider Anniversary...or, even better, since they use the same engine maybe a Tomb Raider
bundle with Legends and Anniversary!

I just knew they were waiting to release the new Tomb Raider series so they could bundle them together.

:nods:

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:26 AM

View Postteflon, on June 22nd 2007, 07:17 AM, said:

as for the new genre, ive got absolutely no idea.
Maybe it's something really wild like a virtual reality game where you can go online to go outside and sit on the grass and watch the clouds and the birds.  It would be really cool if you could like, look real close at the grass and see bugs and stuff.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:46 AM

View Postdojoboy, on June 22nd 2007, 04:14 PM, said:

I'm hoping the the latter one is Beyond the Sword (Civ4).
Also possible, but I'm reading this more to be a full game and not "just" an expansion to an existing game.

I'm still trying to think of a genre that we never had on the Mac. But every genre I can think of (first-person shooter, third person shooter, jump'n'run, action adventures, adventures in general, RTS, TBS, flight sims, submarine sims, trading sims, american football games, real football games, golf games, skateboard games, racing, RPGs, sport manager games, puzzle games, hell - even japanese dating sims) has examples - even though some are pretty scarce and/or old.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:50 AM

I hope it's not...DRAMA!   :crying:
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#10 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:29 AM

Somebody asked about a mac version at a Firaxis chat, and they said they hadn't contracted the port out yet but it should be out not long after the PC version (I'm guessing November).

It would be really cool if the never-before-seen genre game was Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, which Aspyr published. It's a story-driven adventure game with some action elements. But I doubt it.

#11 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:48 AM

I might have hoped for Spore, but I don't that's expected to make Christmas anymore.

#12 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:18 AM

My guesses: CoD 4: Modern Combat and Hellgate London.

#13 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:21 AM

Hellgate would make me a very happy man.

Howsabout NHL 08?
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#14 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:12 AM

View Postplacy, on June 22nd 2007, 09:21 AM, said:

Hoping one of them is Tomb Raider Anniversary...or, even better, since they use the same engine maybe a Tomb Raider
bundle with Legends and Anniversary!

I just knew they were waiting to release the new Tomb Raider series so they could bundle them together.

:nods:

Hopfuly they will, Tomb Raider Legends and Anniversary are both great games, it's stupid not to bring them to OS X.
What is a man?

#15 Mango

Mango

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:14 AM

This is easy.

1) Sims: Teen Drama Queen Edition
2) Sims: Trophy Wife

#16 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:20 AM

View PostBenRoethig, on June 22nd 2007, 12:18 PM, said:

My guesses: CoD 4: Modern Combat and Hellgate London.

I don't think Hellgate is enough of a new genre to qualify. Spore isn't either, god and sim games have been around a long long time.

I agree that CoD4 is a very good guess for the "more familiar game type based on a very popular brand" certainly. Spore and Hellgate just might also qualify, Hellgate can "arguably" be considered an offshoot of Diablo, sort of, maybe. Oh wait, another thought is MS Flight Sim X for this one. But the market for flight sims seems to small to justify Aspyr jumping into it.

But "a genre that has never been on the Mac before?" Janichsan said it best, I can't, in all of my Mac owning years, even think of a genre that hasn't been done. Honestly. A genre? That's a really odd one unless Aspyr means "a game within a wide genre that we've never seen." But I doubt they'd make a mistake in their grammar like that and I still couldn't think of one.

Unless it's one of those sadistic Barbie games that tBC keeps posting hints about (rated AO naturally, though I'll buy a copy in a second).

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#17 paulc

paulc

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:52 AM

The "genre never before" HAS to be sewing/knitting.

#18 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:54 AM

I thing "genre" is going to be a stretch--more like a sub-genre or a very new twist on a genre, I predict. I wouldn't take that term too literally.

Much like class-based team FPS games could have been considered a new genre, or you could say it's still just the FPS genre. Just semantics.

Now, I once made a 2D action Mac game with NO graphics, done entirely with sound. That might be a new genre if I ever polish it up and share :)

#19 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:04 PM

Sweet. I :heart: Aspyr.

I've probably got enough shooters, but I'd still buy CoD4. Quake Wars..It's too easy to buy (cheaper) PC versions of titles these days but if Aspyr announced the Mac release date before the PC version was in the shops I'd probably wait for it just to fly the flag for Mac gaming.

New genre? Well, it's not exactly new but we haven't had a decent flight sim in a loooooooooonnnnnnnnngggggggggg time!

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#20 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:06 PM

View PostIchigo27, on June 22nd 2007, 06:12 PM, said:

Hopfuly they will, Tomb Raider Legends and Anniversary are both great games, it's stupid not to bring them to OS X.

I'm also hoping these two Tomb Raiders make it to OS X at some point. I know that when I upgrade to an Intel Mac Bootcamp would be a possibility but I'd rather not get involved with Windows. COD 4 would be a good choice as well as the previous games seemed to do well.

From the newsletter there doesn't appear to be any mention of whether Quake Wars will be Intel only or a Universal. Being based on the Doom 3 engine it sounded hopeful that G5 owners might get a chance but the note about a lot of new code makes me wonder.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6