#81 Mango

Mango

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:12 PM

View PostGloops, on March 13th 2008, 03:01 AM, said:

I suggest you persevere. I bought Morrowind recently, after my trip through Crodiil, and I felt the same way when I started out; old graphics, bad combat, confusing - but I persevered and now I'm hooked.

I'll probably revisit it when I'm in less of an impatient, cranky, FPS mood. Right now, all I want to do is get headshots like FPS Doug of "Pure Pwnage" fame. I guess I have some latent anger issues that need resolving through extreme virtual violence.   :D

#82 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:11 PM

i get that. :nods:

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#83 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:31 AM

I started Morrowind, felt the same way and did not persevere. Visually and interactively it's a tough adjustment from Oblivion. However I'm holding it for when I finish up the Witcher and Crysis.

#84 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:00 PM

View PostHuntn, on September 13th 2007, 08:18 AM, said:

For reference, which FPS and RPGs do you like  that don't have a notable killing rate? :)

lol, this is going back a few months but I'm not opposed to killing in FPS/RPGs. There just a fairly broad range of FPS, one end of them is games like The Punisher and the other end, in my opinion is games like Splinter Cell. For any of you guys who have played the punisher i'll say it was fun for about half an hour and then u just start thinking to yourself, "why am I playing this game", cuz it has no depth to it. Now i'm not saying Bioshock has no depth to it cuz I have never played the game but the impression I got from various people was that you just got a new weopon/skill set in order to kill a new and fun way. So i thought it was a mindless murder fest game, lol, but i see its clearly not cuz of the sheer number of people who love the game.

the genre of FPS I like are the strategy kind where you have to spend all of your skill and stealth capabilities in order to get to some window across a square in the city where you can make that perfect sniper shot. Games like Splinter Cell. I also like any Tom Clancy game and Assasins Creed, and Hitman 2 was fun. For RPGs i frequently enjoy Oblivion.

-Snake

sorry for the rant
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#85 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:21 PM

Hitman is one of the most "mindless" killing games. But it does so in a creative and "credible" way, that I love it. I really do. Maybe it's the same what draws me to bioshock, although the mood is obviously very different from hitman; the creativity in this game. The involvement. The tension.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#86 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:41 PM

I could never stand the art in Hitman, i always thought it just looked crap. one of the reasons why i couldnt play it.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#87 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:57 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on March 14th 2008, 01:00 PM, said:

Now i'm not saying Bioshock has no depth to it cuz I have never played the game but the impression I got from various people was that you just got a new weopon/skill set in order to kill a new and fun way. So i thought it was a mindless murder fest game, lol, but i see its clearly not cuz of the sheer number of people who love the game.

Something strange happened to me on the way to the final boss in Bioshock, I ran into a mental wall of some kind and can't bring my self to complete the game. I'm heading for Andrew Ryan's office which I think is the end. Depending on your impression the atmosphere can be very compressed, very heavy, and if you get into it very depressing. Maybe it's from being at the bottom of the ocean. But I'm seeing a repetitiveness of the type of attacks and the same wacko babbling from all of my adversaries. I'm about to crack! :) So I'll take a break and maybe come back to it later.

#88 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

View PostHuntn, on March 15th 2008, 08:57 AM, said:

Something strange happened to me on the way to the final boss in Bioshock, I ran into a mental wall of some kind and can't bring my self to complete the game. I'm heading for Andrew Ryan's office which I think is the end.

Nope. Not even close.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#89 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:16 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on March 14th 2008, 03:21 PM, said:

Hitman is one of the most "mindless" killing games. But it does so in a creative and "credible" way, that I love it. I really do. Maybe it's the same what draws me to bioshock, although the mood is obviously very different from hitman; the creativity in this game. The involvement. The tension.

I vote that Hitman is not a mindless killing game (oh snap :P ). Ya, it can be a mindless killing game but your gonna lose pretty much all of the missions if you just go rambo on the whole enemy team, unless its the 1st 1-3 missions cuz they're real easy. After that your screwed if you do any charges into no mans land with your Ballers. That's my Hitman 2 experience, no clue what any of the other ones are like.

-Snake
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#90 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:16 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on March 15th 2008, 07:16 PM, said:

I vote that Hitman is not a mindless killing game (oh snap :P ). Ya, it can be a mindless killing game but your gonna lose pretty much all of the missions if you just go rambo on the whole enemy team, unless its the 1st 1-3 missions cuz they're real easy. After that your screwed if you do any charges into no mans land with your Ballers. That's my Hitman 2 experience, no clue what any of the other ones are like.
-Snake
Aren't there even awards for not killing anybody but the target?
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#91 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:02 AM

I cant quite remember which hitman game it was I played (the latest one maybe?), but they were such ridiculous exercises in frustration that after a while of sneaking around id just kill the target then shoot my way out of there... so much easier... but it was the poor level design which made it really difficult to do it without killing that made it a mindless killing game.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#92 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:33 PM

Yeah but killing people for money is in my opinion mindless. I should have said that, sorry.

Yes of course, I always try to kill only the "necessary" ones. But still. And the funny thing is, in the art of Hitman 1, the hitman looks like Pete Postlethwaite. Too bad he was played by a "youngin" in the movie.

I cant quite remember which hitman game it was I played (the latest one maybe?), but they were such ridiculous exercises in frustration that after a while of sneaking around id just kill the target then shoot my way out of there... so much easier... but it was the poor level design which made it really difficult to do it without killing that made it a mindless killing game.
Maybe you mean Contracts?

Because Blood Money was the best one of the series, maybe even surpassing the first one. (BM didnt appear on OSX yet.)
Too bad I bought every hitman, ASIDE from the last one. (I did play it though, thank deity for borrowing!)
QC.

#93 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:06 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on March 16th 2008, 03:33 PM, said:

Yeah but killing people for money is in my opinion mindless. I should have said that, sorry.

hmm, you do have a point, cuz there's no real point to the killing so I guess it would be mindless

-Snake

View PostDark_Archon, on March 16th 2008, 01:16 AM, said:

Aren't there even awards for not killing anybody but the target?

ya, i think so, I haven't played the game in about a year

#94 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:03 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on March 17th 2008, 06:33 AM, said:

Because Blood Money was the best one of the series, maybe even surpassing the first one. (BM didnt appear on OSX yet.)

But if your killing for money, your killing with the thought of money in your mind... thats not mindless :glare: :)

Blood Money was one of those games that managed to get an illegal Cider port... so yes, it kinda did make it to OS X.

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

#95 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:51 PM

Really? Cool. Well in any case, I already played through it, and I am looking forward to a sequel. Although I hope they do make one, since their latest didn't do so well.. forgot what it's called though. One where two psychopaths do missions together. Kane & lynch?
QC.

#96 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:51 PM

Let's explore "mindless" killing:

1. For fun.
2. For payment.
3. In self defense.
4. For war.

All of these reasons have motivations. Probably the closest to "mindless" (as in lacking responsible thought) would be No.1. Most games seem to fall into No. 3&4 which also fall into the category of most justifiable and most likely of any shooter category that parents will let their kids play. No.2 is sinister. No.1 is despicable. I could not play GTA:San Andreas because I could not get into characters bumping off innocent people for profit. I would not classify Hitman as "mindless" but undesirable, although some very challenging and fun scenarios could be created based on the premise. I would have to use Arnold's train of thought when asked if he killed people (True Lies)- "Yes, but they were all bad." :)

#97 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:56 PM

"yes, but they were all computer generated"

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD