96 replies to this topic

#1 Mango

Mango

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:12 PM

I'm getting a MacBook Pro within a couple of weeks and I'm wondering which PC games I should try under Boot Camp. So, I'm looking for your recommendations of "must-play" PC games for which there are no Mac versions. Let me add that I like pretty much any genre of video game except ones that have excessive resource gathering/building (like Age of Empires).

Are Far Cry and Oblivion worth buying? Any recommendations?

#2 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:35 PM

View PostMango, on June 11th 2007, 07:12 PM, said:

They're not the best of their respective genres, but they'll do if you're desperate.

I'd suggest, by genre then order of importance:

Stealth and/or Horror:
System Shock 2
Thief 1-3
Splinter Cell 2-3

Role playing:
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines
The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind - Oblivion
Stalker

Real time strategy:
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 1-2
Supreme Commander

Real time tactics:
Shogun: to Medieval: Total War

Shooters:
Max Payne 2
Half Life 1-2
Rainbow Six: Vegas

#3 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:38 PM

Galactic Civilizations II: Dreadlords + Expansion
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#4 Naman

Naman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:07 PM

Another for Half-Life 2 and HL2 Episode 1. I normally don't like FPSes, but HL2 and on are works of art.

I also highly recommend Every Extend. It's free, and you can google for it and find a download off Download.com.

#5 Mango

Mango

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:11 PM

These are already some good suggestions. I completely forgot about the Thief series and I didn't realize that Splinter Cell 2 & 3 for available for PCs. I thought they were console-only games.

Has anyone played "Beyond Good & Evil"? It's another Ubisoft game that I've heard good things about.

#6 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:25 PM

I honestly can't think of any games on the Windows side that tempt me.
I tried Oblivion but it didn't hold my attention.
I have VTM: Bloodlines, and while it seems intriguing, it is not rebootworthy.
Does anybody know of any single player RPGs similar in scope to Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, or Fallout?
I haven't heard anything good about Neverwinter Nights 2. I am however, enjoying Icewind Dale 2 in VMWare.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:27 AM

View PostMango, on June 12th 2007, 05:11 AM, said:

Has anyone played "Beyond Good & Evil"? It's another Ubisoft game that I've heard good things about.
I tried to, but the game wasn't playable on my MBP. That actually was the second Ubisoft game that made trouble: Silent Hunter III didn't run either.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:23 AM

View PostMango, on June 11th 2007, 09:12 PM, said:

Far Cry- Adventure on a tropical island is definitely worth trying for its sneak and free roaming aspects. See the hill, way over there in the distance?- You can run/drive/swim to it without a noticeable scene load. As I recall, there is a nuke somewhere about to go off...

Oblivion is outstanding. But there are Morrowind fanatics who were not happy with it. I have Morrowind on my list to play. If you haven't seen check out the Oblivion FAQ in this forum.

Half Life 2- The supreme solo shooter. The single most impressive game of it's kind.

Half Life (original)- despite lesser graphics by todays standards one of the great solo shooter adventures.

Total War:Medieval (the original)- RTS at it's best with very large armies and an outstanding hybrid game- both RTS and strategy elements. I've not played the new version.

VTM:Bloodlines- A Good RPG. I enjoyed it.

System Shock 2- All most forgot, outstanding suspense and atmospherics.

#9 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:31 AM

A lot of repeats here, but here are some of my favorites, in no particular order:

Half-Life 1 + Blue Shift + Opposing Force: The original still holds up after all these years, and the two expansion packs are fun.

HL2 + Episode 1: Probably the best straight-up FPS I've ever played, the design in this game is brilliant.

Vampire:Bloodlines: Fun RPG/FPS hybrid

System Shock 2: One of my all time favorites - precursor to Deus Ex, excellent RPG/FPS/Survival Horror game

Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War: Good RTS, nice attention to detail, feels a bit like Starcraft, has some nice additions to RTS gameplay. There's very little resource gathering in it.

Oblivion: Sure, it's shallower than they would like to pretend it is, but a good free-roaming RPG nonetheless, and it sure is pretty.

Deus Ex 2: Yes, it's a disappointment compared with the first, but it's still one of the more intelligent shooters out there, and I liked it.

I've heard excellent things about Beyond Good & Evil, though I haven't gotten around to it yet - it's on my list along with Stalker.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#10 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:06 AM

Even though I'm not a FPS fan (hardly at all in fact) I'd definitely put Half Life 2 on any list. It looks stunning. (And grab Garry's Mod too). Any of the first three Total War series (Shogun, Medieval, Rome). I like Titan Quest a lot as well (despite nuking my Windows partition without saving all of my son's characters ... that resulted in a really good cry).

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#11 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:53 PM

View Postbobbob, on June 11th 2007, 07:35 PM, said:

Rainbow Six: Vegas
That game is waaaaaay too hard...or maybe its just because i hate tactical shooters.

You should go and try out battlefield 2. it has supreme multiplayer.

#12 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:07 PM

Here's a quick list:

Dark Messiah (1st person action-RPG)

F.E.A.R (psycho intense and creepy shooter)

Infernal (3rd person shooter)

Stalker (the game of all time!)

C&C3 Tiberium Wars and/or Supreme Commander. (RTS.)

"stealth" titles

Thief: Deadly Shadows

Splinter Cell: Double Agent

Manhunt

I'll echo what some of the others said. Oblivion is good, but not much too my liking. (I prefer something more gritty and dark such as Gothic 3) And Deus Ex 2 is nice, as well as Half-Life 2.

Oh yes, and Rainbow Six: Las Vegas rulez! If you like semi-tactical shooters. In reality its not nearly as hard as the previews Rainbow titles, as you have regenerating health, and your buddies are near invincible. But its so damn fun I can't get enough of it.

Hope this helps :)
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#13 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:49 PM

Final Fantasy 7 :)

I haven't been truly impressed with any recent Windows game. If I reboot, it's for the older stuff that was actually innovating.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#14 Mango

Mango

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:53 PM

All great choices. It's going to tough to choose which three to buy first.

#15 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

simple:
Half Life 2 or a bundle which has Half Life 2 and episode 1 together.
FEAR
and some other game, though those will last you for a bit.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#16 Drinniol

Drinniol

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:57 AM

I found FEAR total weaksauce. Call me jaded, but little girls don't scare me.

I have, in my Pile to Play;
GalCiv II and expansion, Far Cry, Dawn of War + expansions, and Silent Hunter 4.

If only Boot Camp liked my X1900. Piece of crap.
"If a bunch of actual adults suddenly found themselves trapped in high school, the first thing they'd do is form a union and renegotiate all the rules with the administration." Paul Walker

#17 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:44 AM

View PostDrinniol, on June 13th 2007, 08:57 AM, said:

I found FEAR total weaksauce. Call me jaded, but little girls don't scare me.

Maybe you just don't understand the danger of little ghostly visions who might just rip your eyes out before you can burp?? :bleedingeyes:

View PostMango, on June 12th 2007, 04:53 PM, said:

All great choices. It's going to tough to choose which three to buy first.

Half Life 2, Elder Scrolls-Oblivion, 3rd one your choice- Stalker? Total War? System Shock? Roll the dice? :)

System Shock 2 is selling used on Amazon for $39- AMAZING for such an old game. A testiment to it's greatness?

#18 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:48 AM

View PostHuntn, on June 13th 2007, 05:44 PM, said:

System Shock 2 is selling used on Amazon for $39- AMAZING for such an old game. A testiment to it's greatness?

or its collect-ability?
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#19 Bill Ramey

Bill Ramey

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:07 PM

Fable (unless the Mac version comes out soon).  Livelier RPG than Morrowind and Oblivion, albeit more linear.

Deep Space Nine: The Fallen.  Third-person shooter set in the Deep Space Nine universe.

Freedom Force and Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich.  Super hero actions RPGs.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.  Best computer strategy game.

War! Age of Imperialism.  Good strategy game.  The Mac version doesn't work under Rosetta.

Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising.  An overlooked gem.  It's a vehicle-based RTS that lets you take control of any unit and play it in the first-person perspective.  So you can fly any of your helicopters or drive any of your tanks, while still commanding the other units.

#20 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:43 PM

Splinter Cell: Double Agent

They screwed the pooch on the PC version, so play it on the X-box 1 if at all. Not the 360 version, either, it picked graphics over gameplay.