Jump to content


EA Announces Mac Titles At WWDC


  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

    Uberspewer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu
  • Location:Cyberspace

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:36 PM

View PostEndymion, on June 12th 2007, 07:44 PM, said:

Where the heck were you last year? This board and others were aflame with people going off on Cider the day it was announced without a single title in development yet named. I would expect none of the hand-wringing matters if the game in question runs well.

To me it seemed like people where more concerned about whether or not it'd actually make a difference for the number of titles we get back then. Even I had my doubts as to whether or not it would make an impact.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7


#62 Tesseract

Tesseract

    Unmanageable Megaweight

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:29 AM

View Postfloam, on June 13th 2007, 01:54 AM, said:

Wait -- how do you think the current porting process works!?

Now I'm not directly familiar with how Aspyr does things, but I do know a guy both MacSoft and Aspyr have contracted. I can assure you, these games are all using OpenGL, in many instances even have new audio renderers written (and other components, especially in titles with a plenty-hot Middleware Hell), are ported "by hand" to build and work nicely on OS X, and are certainly building natively on the Mac.
Oh sure, I realise that. But AIUI, rewriting things is Plan B. Plan A is to build the code as-is (as far as possible) and link it against an in-house library that implements portions of the Windows APIs in terms of what's available on the Mac. The technical difference between that and what Cider does is minor.

#63 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Location:Dubuque, Iowa USA

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:34 AM

View PostJanichsan, on June 12th 2007, 03:43 AM, said:

Mainly the bugginess of the original Windows version of HoMM V. The very first version seemed to be notorious and later patches didn't succeed in eliminating all bugs or even brought new ones. I'd say it's possible that the combination of Cider and the existing bugs in the game amplifies the problem, though.

That and from what I've heard X3 runs pretty well.  However, we won't really know how cider does with a big name title until these are out in the wild.  Depending on the results, it could make or break Mac gaming.

#64 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

    Uberspewer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts
  • Location:Not here; not there; not anywhere!

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:44 AM

How could a few selected titles break Mac gaming? I highly doubt that scenario. If it works out, great!; if it doesn't, oh well!
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#65 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Location:Dubuque, Iowa USA

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:42 PM

View PostPegasus, on June 13th 2007, 11:44 AM, said:

How could a few selected titles break Mac gaming? I highly doubt that scenario. If it works out, great!; if it doesn't, oh well!

If this turns out to be cost effective for EA and if the performance is acceptable, other publishers could follow suit.

#66 BifBologna

BifBologna

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Location:Vista, CA

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:06 PM

Not sure if this would be off topic or not, but following the announcements at WWDC Tom's Hardware had a video discussion about EA's return to the Mac and the future of Mac gaming in general.

Tom's Hardware: The Future of Mac Gaming

Bif

#67 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

    NSFW o_O

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts
  • Location:pingas

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:25 PM

View PostBenRoethig, on June 13th 2007, 07:42 PM, said:

If this turns out to be cost effective for EA and if the performance is acceptable, other publishers could follow suit.

If so, I wouldn't be suprised to see Konami and Capcom jumping on the cider bandwagon.
What is a man?

#68 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:50 AM

View PostIchigo27, on June 18th 2007, 05:25 AM, said:

If so, I wouldn't be suprised to see Konami and Capcom jumping on the cider bandwagon.
I wouldn't complain, but personally think that's not too probable. After all, their support for PC (in contrast to consoles) isn't that overwhelming. Some of the PC ports are downright shabby.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#69 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

    All hail Bastet

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:56 AM

View PostIchigo27, on June 17th 2007, 11:25 PM, said:

If so, I wouldn't be suprised to see Konami and Capcom jumping on the cider bandwagon.

More games for Mac? Isn't that what we all spend our time here for? Good news by me.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi


"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau


#70 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

    Uberspewer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu
  • Location:Cyberspace

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:00 AM

View PostJanichsan, on June 18th 2007, 04:50 AM, said:

I wouldn't complain, but personally think that's not too probable. After all, their support for PC (in contrast to consoles) isn't that overwhelming. Some of the PC ports are downright shabby.
True, but this seems to be changing. Usually they (Capcom) had been outsourcing their porting to sourcenext which had been handling the PC versions. Now though they have made an engine in house that targets running on PC, 360 and PS3 for DMC4 for example. In theory that should be better. ;)

View PostDaveyJJ, on June 18th 2007, 04:56 AM, said:

More games for Mac? Isn't that what we all spend our time here for? Good news by me.
Agreed :)
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7