69 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:54 AM

At the WWDC 2007 keynote, Electronic Arts' Co-Founder, Bing Gordon, announced the company's return to the Mac with six Mac titles including Command & Conquer 3, Battlefiled 2142, Need For Speed: Carbon, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Madden NFL 2008, and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2008.

Following the announcement, Gordon showed off a demo of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix to the crowd at WWDC. Gordon said during the demo that "The only thing better than living on a mac, is living at Hogwarts."

EA plans on releasing Command & Conquer 3, Battlefiled 2142, Need For Speed: Carbon, and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in July with Madden NFL 2008 and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2008 later on in the year.

According to our sources, EA is using TransGaming's Cider for its Mac titles. This means that there will be no PowerPC versions of the games.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:04 PM

Wait... a... second... I have to read this again, otherwise I won't believe it...

Oh...

my...

god...

:w00t: W000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:18 PM

Looks like we're going to find out exactly how good cider is.

#4 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:20 PM

View PostBenRoethig, on June 11th 2007, 02:18 PM, said:

Looks like we're going to find out exactly how good cider is.

Didn't we already with HoMM V?
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#5 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:23 PM

View Postnobody, on June 11th 2007, 01:20 PM, said:

Didn't we already with HoMM V?

I'm hoping that was just a fluke.

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:26 PM

View PostBenRoethig, on June 11th 2007, 08:23 PM, said:

I'm hoping that was just a fluke.
Since the other two available ciderized titles (Myst Online, X3) appear not to be plagued by bugs that much, it really seems that the problems with HoMM V were mainly problems of the game itself, not of Cider.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 Bastich

Bastich

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:30 PM

OMFG!!!

:bleedingeyes:

#8 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:33 PM

It's Apple and games in one sentence. And, after all those years, it finally makes sense.

Steve really seems to be interested in world domination now. iPod, iPhone, Safari for Windows, and GAMES on Macs.
Hell must be a pretty cold place.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#9 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:34 PM

Hurray!!!!!!! Tiger Woods on the Mac!!!! And when's the last time we could play (American) football?????!!!!

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#10 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:39 PM

If other publishers follow that road, Boot Camp and Windows will soon seem like tales from a dark, distant age. Hell yes! :D
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#11 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:50 PM

What's this I hear? Racing returns to the Mac?

And to think I might have bought NFS for Windows :)

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:54 PM

View Postnagromme, on June 11th 2007, 08:50 PM, said:

What's this I hear? Racing returns to the Mac?
About time that Feral releases CMR...

#13 MysteryQuest

MysteryQuest

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

I really wonder if this is Cider work. Looks more like their marketing trick. Seeing that some games are completely redesigned for the Mac, I think this isn't Cider, but just a complete port. Cider wouldn't be good for Apple. It would also only support 32-bit games and it can't take advantage of any 64-bit features.

#14 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:52 PM

This must be a blow to Aspyr, they typically port a lot of the EA games. I was expecting them to be doing the C&C port as well. However I have to say that seeing developers make the games cross platform in house is a refreshing change and probably the preferred method. I'd hate to see Aspyr go under, or something, but it might be the beginning of the end for Mac porting houses.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#15 Steephill

Steephill

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:55 PM

Yiihaaa!!! Finally we have a breakthrough!

/Steephill

#16 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:02 PM

View Postmacdude22, on June 11th 2007, 12:52 PM, said:

This must be a blow to Aspyr, they typically port a lot of the EA games. I was expecting them to be doing the C&C port as well. However I have to say that seeing developers make the games cross platform in house is a refreshing change and probably the preferred method. I'd hate to see Aspyr go under, or something, but it might be the beginning of the end for Mac porting houses.

Two things: first, they're using Cider, so calling it in-house is probably stretching it a bit (no doubt the support, QA and beta-testing move in-house to EA). Second, history has shown (at least for Aspyr) that the sports games did not sell well for us on the Mac, and BF1942, while it broke even at least, didn't do well enough to warrant doing the subsequent titles (none of this is news - a googling or search of the forums can probably find quotes from Glenda on this). Aspyr is still heavily involved with EA - we do development for all the Sims Stories games, for example, and they are not small potatoes.

So I don't think this is really bad news for anyone. Most likely this is the best path to get these games on the Mac.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#17 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:07 PM

Well,  that might also mean that those games have cross-platform compatibility then. Especially, Command & Conquer 3 and Battlefield 2142 wouldn't do well without it. I'm pretty sure that's another reason why the BF 1942 port didn't do so great.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#18 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:11 PM

View PostPegasus, on June 11th 2007, 10:07 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure that's another reason why the BF 1942 port didn't do so great.
I know it's a long time ago, but actually, BF1942 had crossplatform compatibility. It was one of the last games that featured GameSpy on the Mac before the long and dreadful hiatus.

#19 rufwork

rufwork

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:24 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on June 11th 2007, 11:34 AM, said:

Hurray!!!!!!! Tiger Woods on the Mac!!!! And when's the last time we could play (American) football?????!!!!

Well, the last time you had Classic installed, I suppose, though the eight year-old rosters might be a little long in the tooth.

This really is great news for Mac owners.  I hope the Cider implementation is relatively transparent and doesn't involve cutting any features from the Mac version.  Not having to Boot Camp Windows is A Very Good Thing, and should help out a bit with fewer owners pirating Ballmer's Pride.

I was surprised not to see anyone complaining about the PowerPC divide finally coming into the open, which I hope means we all saw that coming.  It's a good move.  Neat machines (I'm using a G4 now), but it sure is a good thing IBM c/wouldn't keep up with Apple's demand.

#20 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:33 PM

this will be a day long remembered