MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:16 PM

View PostSgt Rocky, on June 11th 2007, 10:13 PM, said:

OK this is a nice announcement but ...

Until Apple decides to release some machines that compete in a space which the average person can afford! these games will go unsold.

They need to release something that isn't not a throw-away (your 20+ inch LCD) iMac and the PowerofTower Mac Pro.
The Mac Pro has some great specs aside from the dated video card but it comes at a hefty price...
Lots of people have Intel Macs. Lots of Mac users want more games. The games will sell fine.

#42 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:17 PM

View PostiRolley, on June 11th 2007, 08:34 PM, said:

I wonder... will we get Need for Speed BEFORE Colin Mc Rae ? That'd be funny. Anyway I'll HAPPILY get both.

They're a pretty different pair of racing games so buying both won't be a problem for me...

#43 kingarthur_kom

kingarthur_kom

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:39 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on June 11th 2007, 02:25 PM, said:

What's amazing me about this is the fact that EA is publishing the titles. Even though Cider removes much of the pain of the port, given the serious lack of retail presence for Mac software this move is actually a significant risk for EA. Even Apple Stores have reduced their shelf-space for games, in favor of more iPod accessories. Yet EA isn't just testing the waters here, they are jumping in with 6 titles. And I'm pretty sure they won't be hybrid releases either.

There are also lifecycle differences with Mac software that many publishers seem oblivious to: sales seems to be slower up front but if the title remains available it sells for longer periods of time. It's not certain that EA will be able to handle the Mac market the way a company like Aspyr has learned to.

EA must have calculated that Apple Stores and online stores like Amazon would make this a profitable venture. They may also have a deal with Apple that gives them prominent shelf-space in the retail and online Apple Stores.

It's going to be real interesting. I hope it works out for them.

View PostDoctorGonzo, on June 11th 2007, 03:50 PM, said:

I'd prefer this deal not have occurred and we continued to receive native games - even with the delay associated with them.

I have my doubts as to EA's ability to manage the Mac market and the real-world viability of the Trans Gaming stuff.

HAH! We should be saying "Welcome back EA!"  
http://gamasutra.com...leming_01.shtml

#44 Thinine

Thinine

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:03 PM

Gah, Cider. Has it produced a good game yet? I think EA's going to see how crappy the results are and abandon the platform again.

#45 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:15 PM

Gah, Cider. Has it produced a good game yet?
Heroes of Might and Magic...........

I think EA's going to see how crappy the results are and abandon the platform again.
A purely uneducated guess. I congratulate you.
I Can't Feel My Torso Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#46 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:09 AM

I read somewhere that someone had a Mac Pro with 7300 GTs in SLI in Windows. For SLI, you are capped at 2 8 lane slots, but that really isn't a big deal. The performance hit for running even this gen graphics cards at 8x is pretty minor. There are currently no motherboard chipsets for Xeons that allow two sixteen lane slots. The 5000x is the only one (or at least was when I got my Mac Pro) that even offered one 16 lane slot.

The real problem is that there are only two PCIe power connectors on the motherboard, and no extra cables coming out of the power supply.

I agree however that going SLI really doesn't make sense unless you are going with the top of the line and SLI which is somewhat unreasonable. I'd probably pick an 8800 GTX over two 8800 GTSes.

Graphics cards outdate faster than processors, and processors are used for a lot more than graphics cards. I'd pick two processor sockets over two 16 lane PCIe slots any day.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#47 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:48 AM

OK, the arguments on Cider being good/bad for Mac gaming have been done long ago in the form of arguments on how WINE is good/bad for Linux. Go look 'em up. My hope is that (a) the availability of these titles on the Mac will tip the balance for some more potential switchers, thus increasing the user base and giving the platform the benefits that come with that, and that (b) at some point EA (and others of their ilk) will say, "Hey, why are we paying money to Transgaming when we could just build our games cross-platform from the start?"

#48 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:40 AM

I'm quite happy to see this announcement. While I am only interested in Battlefield, C&C3, and NFS: Carbon, if I had the money I'd buy the other titles anyway just for support purposes. I hope these don't get pirated out and ruin their launches, thereby discouraging EA from doing more. That would really be a bummer. But whatever the case, hooray for EA! You've got my vote :D
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#49 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:53 AM

I'm wondering if any of those titles include Havok and if so, if the Havok license terms has changed for the better? It used to be   the cost of  Havok license for a Mac release was a stop dead hinderance (or so the rumor went).

#50 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:05 AM

As far as I know, none of the announced titles uses Havok. But even if one would: EA could afford it.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#51 Abecedaria

Abecedaria

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:01 AM

View PostJanichsan, on June 12th 2007, 06:05 AM, said:

As far as I know, none of the announced titles uses Havok. But even if one would: EA could afford it.

I thought BF2142 was havok. At least it used to be for BF:V and BF2.

abc
"THIS is Ceti-alpha 5!"
| 17" MacBook Pro | Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz | 2GB RAM | Radeon Mobility x1600 256MB |
| Boot Camp Windows XP Config: ATI Driver - DHzer0point Catalyst 0.69 | Current overclock: 475 - 475 (stock) |

#52 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:06 AM

View PostThinine, on June 12th 2007, 12:03 AM, said:

Gah, Cider. Has it produced a good game yet? I think EA's going to see how crappy the results are and abandon the platform again.

Early feedback points to consumer satisfaction w/ X3: Reunion.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#53 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:08 AM

View PostAbecedaria, on June 12th 2007, 10:01 AM, said:

I thought BF2142 was havok. At least it used to be for BF:V and BF2.

abc

None of the Battlefield games are listed on the Havok website....

None of the EA titles announced yesterday appear either.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#54 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:16 AM

I was pretty shocked by this. I guess EA really wants to dominate on EVERY platform.

I really hope they're successful though, could lead to more companies following in their footsteps.

#55 fabforrest

fabforrest

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:28 AM

View PostAbecedaria, on June 11th 2007, 11:16 PM, said:

Woooweee! Battlefield 2142 for the Mac. Never thought I'd see the day. (So I guess selling all those iPods really did the trick for market share after all.) Man, you'd be sitting pretty if you ware a Mac laptop gamer whose ready to upgrade right now. Getting one of the 2.4Ghz 15 inch Core2Duos with the 8600 GT along with BF2142, and you'd have one of the best Mac gaming set-ups currently on the market; desktop or laptop!

I'm trying to think of a time when laptop gamers had it this good. Not to mention that you can now throw Parallels 3.0 on the thing and play all your PC games without rebooting.

I'll say it again, WOOOO WEEEE!

abc

"ALL" your PC games?  i think that remains to be seen.  so far i have seen none of the games i am interested in show up on any parallels list of supported titles.

#56 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:56 AM

You know, the one real downside to Cider will be that there is as good as no chance of there being demos for those games. =/ Sure, one could rely on feedback from others, but every person's level of acceptable performance can vary a good bit; not to mention, actually knowing what the game feels/plays like.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#57 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:20 PM

View PostPegasus, on June 12th 2007, 07:56 PM, said:

You know, the one real downside to Cider will be that there is as good as no chance of there being demos for those games.
Why not? HoMM V didn't have a demo because Ubisoft forbade it, and as far as I know, Virtual Programming is still pondering the idea of an X3 demo (the X2 demo was also released pretty late). So far, Cider was not responsible for the severe lack of demos.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#58 kingarthur_kom

kingarthur_kom

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:25 PM

View Postbookman, on June 12th 2007, 10:08 AM, said:

None of the Battlefield games are listed on the Havok website....

None of the EA titles announced yesterday appear either.

Stop listening to the rumours!!! Battlefield has its own physics engine. IT DOES NOT USE HAVOK!!!  :cool:

#59 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:43 PM

View Postkingarthur_kom, on June 12th 2007, 06:25 PM, said:

Stop listening to the rumours!!! Battlefield has its own physics engine. IT DOES NOT USE HAVOK!!!  :cool:

What the heck you talking about? THAT"S WHAT I SAID!!!  :cool:
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#60 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:25 PM

OK, everybody who's been up since WWDC... go to bed and get some sleep!  :lol:
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat