#21 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:26 PM

View PostJanichsan, on June 11th 2007, 07:22 PM, said:

And it would be interesting to know what Aspyr says about this. After all, EA was one of their major partners.

My money's on:

"...balls"
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#22 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:17 PM

BATTLEFIELD ON A MAC?!?!?!?

A song by the Box Tops comes to mind: Lonely days are gone, I'm a-goin' home,
'Cause my baby just a-wrote me a letter!

After all the money I spent on a PC I must now come home. Question is will she have me?
The Mail Man Cometh!

Always remember the following:

1. Lock em, Cock em, and Rock em!

2. Everyone hates a Redneck until their car breaks down.

3. REDNECKS: AMERICAS PITBULLS!

#23 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:34 PM

I wonder... will we get Need for Speed BEFORE Colin Mc Rae ? That'd be funny. Anyway I'll HAPPILY get both.

#24 DoctorGonzo

DoctorGonzo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:50 PM

I'd prefer this deal not have occurred and we continued to receive native games - even with the delay associated with them.

I have my doubts as to EA's ability to manage the Mac market and the real-world viability of the Trans Gaming stuff.

#25 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:00 PM

And what about performance? I can't imagine running these games in an "abstracted layer" will be as speedy as running them natively in XP via Boot Camp, which is what I'm going to continue to do with my overclocked X1900 ftw.

And dammit, Steve, where's my Nvidia 8800? The games intro would've been a perfect opportunity to announce. Oh well.

Atticus
Who's always abstracted
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#26 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:07 PM

View PostAtticus, on June 11th 2007, 05:00 PM, said:

And what about performance? I can't imagine running these games in an "abstracted layer" will be as speedy as running them natively in XP via Boot Camp, which is what I'm going to continue to do with my overclocked X1900 ftw.

And dammit, Steve, where's my Nvidia 8800? The games intro would've been a perfect opportunity to announce. Oh well.

Atticus
Who's always abstracted
I would rather hear something about Crossfire or SLI before any one card. If we are going to talk about a single card lets do the HD2900! Apples always worked best for the "Red Camp" anyways.
The Mail Man Cometh!

#27 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:09 PM

Or the 2900. I don't care! Just get me my DX10/Crysis fix...stat. Don't make me build my own PC!

But at least for now we have, um, Safari on Windows?

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#28 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:15 PM

View PostThe Mail Man, on June 11th 2007, 05:07 PM, said:

I would rather hear something about Crossfire or SLI before any one card. If we are going to talk about a single card lets do the HD2900! Apples always worked best for the "Red Camp" anyways.

Eh. Diminishing returns and buggy performance make SLI/CF a niche subsection of a niche market. And seeing as how a single 8800 tends to outperform all but the highest-end last gen cards in SLI, plus the fact that you get support for new DX/OGL feature sets, I would say that either an 8800 or a 2900 would be far better than implementing SLI/CF.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#29 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:33 PM

View Postnobody, on June 11th 2007, 05:15 PM, said:

Eh. Diminishing returns and buggy performance make SLI/CF a niche subsection of a niche market. And seeing as how a single 8800 tends to outperform all but the highest-end last gen cards in SLI, plus the fact that you get support for new DX/OGL feature sets, I would say that either an 8800 or a 2900 would be far better than implementing SLI/CF.
Still why not offer it? I would use it if I had it. Plus its becoming more and more mainstream.
The Mail Man Cometh!

#30 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:34 PM

View PostThe Mail Man, on June 11th 2007, 02:07 PM, said:

I've always favored ATI, but the R600 is supposedly a fat mess; I don't think it would be worth dealing with -- certainly not at the expense of an additional 300W power drain.

Anyway, call me when a PC publisher decides to actually release Mac-native games. Color me unimpressed with wrapping the PC product in some compatibility layer that may kinda sorta work and calling it support for the Mac market. I simply think it's far safer to just hedge your bets with the Windows version (especially now that Leopard will have some sort of cross-booting between Mac OS X and Windows where you won't need a full restart) -- you get something that actually sprung from effort and hard work and will almost certainly have far greater support.

I did feel the collective spinal chills of the Aspyr crew, though. But Alice is the only Aspyr game I ever bought, so I just had to put on a sweater.

EDIT: and you know John Carmack wasn't there trying to pass that sort of crap to the Mac developer "suckers."

#31 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:44 PM

View PostThe Mail Man, on June 11th 2007, 05:33 PM, said:

Still why not offer it? I would use it if I had it. Plus its becoming more and more mainstream.

Sure, I'm not arguing against it - just against it being any priority for Apple, and especially making it a higher priority than bringing new graphics cards to the platform.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#32 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:51 PM

Definitely a step in the right direction & to be applauded!  Now we need some upgrades to Mac graphics &, hopefully, more ports of games that are computer-specific, for eg. Total War, etc. might follow.  Madden-type games are all very well, but I imagine many people may prefer playing this genre on consoles anyway.

#33 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:16 PM

View PostJanichsan, on June 11th 2007, 07:22 PM, said:

And it would be interesting to know what Aspyr says about this. After all, EA was one of their major partners.

chances are that relations have broken down a while ago or something... But heres a few things to remember, Aspyr did Sims Stories for EA, and have the whole the Sims cash cow pretty wrapped up for the forseable future.

aside from the sims, Aspyr havent touched an EA game since C&C Generals (i believe)... so its not the biggest loss, and will allow them to seek out other AAA titles to port over to us while EA handles their own games. It might even push Aspyr to port the games that they are publishing too (man, I still want Dreamfall).

another area where this is good is that EA has the cash to throw around with regards to havok.

the only bad point i can think of is that this is using Cider still, and thats had debate-able performance up until this point, with a few buggy releases...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#34 Apollo

Apollo

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:19 PM

Bleh this kind of blows for me.  I invested in a Quad G5 with a 7800GT (a very capable gaming machine) and now it's time to get rid of it.  I guess it's too much to ask for developers to continue with UBs as Apple hasn't sold a single PPC Mac in almost a year.  

Anyone want an outdated PowerMac? Sellin' cheap! :P
http://www.one-button.org

Primary: Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Dual Quad Core Xeons 8800 GT 500GB 250GB and 2 x 400GB HDs 6GB RAM
Portable: MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo (Merom) 8600M GT 320GB HD 4GB RAM
Server: Custom Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz Slackware Linux 12.0 4 x 500GB in RAID 5 and 74GB Raptor 8GB RAM

#35 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:22 PM

View PostApollo, on June 11th 2007, 06:19 PM, said:

Bleh this kind of blows for me.  I invested in a Quad G5 with a 7800GT (a very capable gaming machine) and now it's time to get rid of it.  I guess it's too much to ask for developers to continue with UBs as Apple hasn't sold a single PPC Mac in almost a year.  

Anyone want an outdated PowerMac? Sellin' cheap! :P
Well man if you bought a Mac for games you shouldnt have one anyways. So yeah Ill buy your "very capable gaming machine". How much?
The Mail Man Cometh!

#36 Apollo

Apollo

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:52 PM

View PostThe Mail Man, on June 11th 2007, 05:33 PM, said:

Twice the cost right out of the box. Probably wouldn't be much interest in it.  The Mac Pros would be the only ones that can use it, they use an Intel 5000X chip set you need an nForce (for SLi) or an CrossFire (AMD/ATi) chipset to do SLi/CrossFire (at least officially, their some some driver hacks to get it on other chipsets).  There's also lack of driver support from nVidia and ATi.  Linux _just_ got SLi support a few months back.  Limited interest, I help run a fairly large gaming club (150+ people LANs) and not one of our members has SLi/Crossfire.  Those folks are hard core gamers too (despise Macs, the whole shebang).  The rate at which graphics card technology is evolving dual carding makes no sense.  Usually one top end card of the next generation can spank a dual card setup of the previous generation.  So you're better off buying one nice card every other year or so.  

View PostThe Mail Man, on June 11th 2007, 08:22 PM, said:

Well man if you bought a Mac for games you shouldnt have one anyways. So yeah Ill buy your "very capable gaming machine". How much?

I guess I should have used sarcasm tags. I can't afford a Mac Pro at the moment, especially since the best gaming card they offer is a X1900 (the Quadro is not a gaming card) and it's old at this point.  I'm up to seven boxes right now (3 Macs, 4 PCs) my Quad is just the one I use the most.  I've got an AMD X2 5200+ with a 7900GT with a Windows/Slackware 11 dual boot.  But when it comes down to it I use the Mac the most (I've had both Macs and PCs since I've been using computers) and I prefer it so it would be nice.
http://www.one-button.org

Primary: Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Dual Quad Core Xeons 8800 GT 500GB 250GB and 2 x 400GB HDs 6GB RAM
Portable: MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo (Merom) 8600M GT 320GB HD 4GB RAM
Server: Custom Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz Slackware Linux 12.0 4 x 500GB in RAID 5 and 74GB Raptor 8GB RAM

#37 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:47 PM

So, just to clarify, these titles will be Intel only?

#38 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:54 PM

Yes. Set in stone, no way around it. Cider makes it so.
I Can't Feel My Torso Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#39 Sgt Rocky

Sgt Rocky

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:13 PM

OK this is a nice announcement but ...

Until Apple decides to release some machines that compete in a space which the average person can afford! these games will go unsold.

They need to release something that isn't not a throw-away (your 20+ inch LCD) iMac and the PowerofTower Mac Pro.
The Mac Pro has some great specs aside from the dated video card but it comes at a hefty price...

#40 Abecedaria

Abecedaria

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:16 PM

Woooweee! Battlefield 2142 for the Mac. Never thought I'd see the day. (So I guess selling all those iPods really did the trick for market share after all.) Man, you'd be sitting pretty if you ware a Mac laptop gamer whose ready to upgrade right now. Getting one of the 2.4Ghz 15 inch Core2Duos with the 8600 GT along with BF2142, and you'd have one of the best Mac gaming set-ups currently on the market; desktop or laptop!

I'm trying to think of a time when laptop gamers had it this good. Not to mention that you can now throw Parallels 3.0 on the thing and play all your PC games without rebooting.

I'll say it again, WOOOO WEEEE!

abc
"THIS is Ceti-alpha 5!"
| 17" MacBook Pro | Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz | 2GB RAM | Radeon Mobility x1600 256MB |
| Boot Camp Windows XP Config: ATI Driver - DHzer0point Catalyst 0.69 | Current overclock: 475 - 475 (stock) |