43 replies to this topic

#21 Gloops

Gloops

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:02 AM

The only game that really disturbed me was playing as a Marine in Aliens v Predator. I don't think I ever finished that part. The damn aliens moved so FAST, came out of the ceiling, or some other randomly spawning unexpected place, and if you didn't kill them at a distance they dropped acid blood all over you. Then when you think you're winning, a cloaked predator will pop up and finish you off.

Come to think of it the Ravenholm part of HL2 is pretty freaky too till you get used to it. I guess the fast running zombies and Aliens have a lot in common.
What, Me worry?

#22 Xavier

Xavier

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:11 AM

Some good suggestions in here! I just ordered my new MPB and need a game that will get me to jump. I like scary games!

The only one that I have ever played would be Doom3 which isn't very scary, but makes you jump. I was always looked behind myself and right after i turn around again is when im attacked from behind! Lol
Moof!

#23 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:29 AM

View PostXavier, on June 13th 2007, 10:11 AM, said:

The only one that I have ever played would be Doom3 which isn't very scary, but makes you jump. I was always looked behind myself and right after i turn around again is when im attacked from behind! Lol

As I recall, D3 had several good ambush situations, like when all these little spider things came crawling out of the ducts.  But many of the random jump out at you situations, instead of feeling random, felt more like the developer was messing with me giving the game more of an artificial feel. This could not be possible could it? :unsure: No way!

In AvP, the auto targeting gun that Marines used was indispensable, making the situation survivable.  :nods:

#24 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:40 AM

My favorite is Undying - I love walking through the old mansion, with the wind moaning, and scary creatures jumping out of the dark at you. That game seriously makes me jump.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#25 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:01 AM

View Postbookman, on June 13th 2007, 11:40 AM, said:

My favorite is Undying - I love walking through the old mansion, with the wind moaning, and scary creatures jumping out of the dark at you. That game seriously makes me jump.

VtM: Bloodlines had a decent haunted hotel although you were a vampire so what was to fear (except werewolves)? I still liked it. :)

#26 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:25 AM

Fear wasnt scary. it just had a couple of WHAT THE fire truck! moments

such as.

your in the elevator, elevator lights start blinking.
it all goes dark, suddenly lights go on, and alma(wierd scary little girl, think saddako from thr ring trilogy) is just standing in the corner looking at you. and then the lights go off and on again and she's gone.

that one got me.

As for anyone who hasnt played through fear from start to finish yet and has only dropped in from a point.
play it. by far the most action packed game i have ever played in my life!

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#27 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:34 PM

View PostSharky, on June 10th 2007, 10:28 AM, said:

Ooh, the Silent Hill games. Man... those mess me UP.

I have Silent Hill 4 sitting near my Xbox... I'm too scared to play it.

Silent Hill 4, while kind of scary, wasn't nearly as scary as playing the first and third installments, IMO.
What is a man?

#28 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:54 PM

My favorite scary game is Shaq Fu. ;) :bleedingeyes:

(kidding :P)
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#29 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:09 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on June 16th 2007, 04:54 AM, said:

My favorite scary game is Shaq Fu. ;) :bleedingeyes:
It cannot be much scarier than E.T. - The Game.

Or any Barbie game.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#30 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:08 AM

View PostJanichsan, on June 18th 2007, 03:09 AM, said:

It cannot be much scarier than E.T. - The Game.

Or any Barbie game.

Now you've given me nightmares of riding poniezzzz and falling into random pits I can't get out of! :unsure: :lol:
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#31 son_of_vazkor

son_of_vazkor

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:25 PM

Ditto for Doom 3 (more jumps than scares but plenty of both) and Silent Hill.  Silent Hill scared me so much I got angry and stopped playing.
Ravenholm level of HL2 was a doozy, as was the "Sandtraps" chapter where you drive your buggy into a tunnel and find it blocked by wrecked cars, the evidence of people barricading the door against the zombies, etc. Creepy music for that one.
I never got far enough into Call of Cthulu to get really scared, though I loved the atmosphere and Lovecraft is a favorite author of mine. I am terrible at adventure/puzzle games like that. I may as well just have someone reading the strat guide out loud while I play it.
FEAR was a pleasant surprise; a solid shooter that also provided a lot of creepiness.

#32 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:05 PM

View Postson_of_vazkor, on June 21st 2007, 12:25 AM, said:

Ravenholm level of HL2 was a doozy, as was the "Sandtraps" chapter where you drive your buggy into a tunnel and find it blocked by wrecked cars, the evidence of people barricading the door against the zombies, etc.

yup. both good points.

my favourite bits are the ones where theres been nothing happening for a while, so youre suddenly like... "somethings gonna happen" and get more and more cautious till you come out the other end and get over confident and they jump out and get you.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#33 Stradivis

Stradivis

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:01 PM

Hey mates, I'm back!
:happy:

I have to agree with AvP.
Played it a lot in multiplayer, and singleplayer too, except for the marine campaing.
It had the perfect mood (dark and lonely places), but most important were two factors: the species diferences and their resources.
You were a human soldier, armed with a lot of guns; however, they maent nothing if you couldn't hit the xenomorphs or the predator. One couldn't be seen, and the other were usually seen when it already was too late. Also, you didn't want to blow up in your face an alien that has acid for blood.
To counter that all you had was a motion detector beeping all the time, nightvision googles (which blinded you when flares were used) and flares.
It wasn't scary. Despair may be a better word.

*SPOILERS AHEAD*
When reading the first post, one game also came to mind: Enemy Zero, for the Sega Saturn. I belive it has been ported to the PC back then (1998), but I'm not sure.
For those who missed it, the plot reminds a lot the first Alien movie.
You're a girl named Lara aboard a cargo ship returning to Earth. During your cryo-sleep, you and crew are awaken because of a disturb with the cargo. To be more specific, a "secret cargo" that turns out to be an invisible monster that frees himself and begins to run inside the ship, killing everyone it finds.
To fight it you had nothing more than a gun with limited range (about 10 feet, maybe less) and that had to be reloaded after every four shots. Reload stations were scattered along the ship — mind you, it was a very big ship. Also, since the enemy was invisible, you had nothing more than a sonar-type of earpiece that would beep faster as the enemy approached, and had diferent tones depending on from where it approached (front, back, left, right).
Sounds hard? Yes, it was, and maybe a bit harder since you had a limited number of saves and loads. To save or load, you'd use a personal voice recorder which had a limited battery. Each save and each load ate some of that charge, and that recorded couldn't be charged as the weapon. If it was gone, it was game-over and you had to start it all over again.
Across the game you'd find better weapons that would last more between recharges, but at the final map — as if things weren't hard already — your sonar earpiece ran out of power. Space age and people were depending on batteries that didn't last more than a few hours, go figure. Well, that map was a 4 floors mad ran for your life because, as I forgot to say, you'd find out that there wasn't only one monster, and the ship self-destruction sequence had been activated. It was hell.
Well, you had all sorts of reasons to play this game as tense as you could. Your heart pumping as you had 3 or more monsters closing in, and you couldn't tell how far each one was from you, since your sonar had gone mad beeping.

Oh, and just for the sake of it all, the Saturn's memory was powered by a lithium battery — again… — which would last for about an year. Mine didn't last long enough. It was dead when I was in the last map, about to finish the game. I still have the Saturn, and I still have the game. I just don't have the patience to do it all again. Meh…  :glare:
Goede, de bussen is groot!

#34 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

View PostAMG, on June 14th 2007, 11:25 PM, said:

Fear wasnt scary. it just had a couple of WHAT THE fire truck! moments

okay i've changed my mind, FEAR, wasnt that scary

But fire truck me the sxpansion F.E.A.R: Extraction point

Scared the living Bejesus out of me!

if your a fan of Fear, Go pick up the expansion, its the real way F.E.A.R should have ended. no more bloodey office environments either.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#35 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:21 AM

AvP!

Playing as human is really scary! Those facehuggers would have me spraying bullets in a total panic. And the way the motion detector would go off for debris was a nice touch. I was tossing flares like there was no tomorrow! (Which often proved to be the case.)

At first Doom 3 seemed to have a similar kind of scare factor (and it does have cool creatures and atmosphere). But in the end I felt that Doom 3's beasts were all pretty mechanical and predictable in their behavior. They felt like bots. But AvP felt like you were fighting ruthless wild animals.

#36 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:54 PM

I gotha agree, for me the most scary game was AvP (1) playing as a marine.
The sights, the sounds...oh man!

The second game I consider scary was Undying. Running around in the old house, chasing ghosts was fun. Unfortunatly the ending was just as crappy as any Hollywood horror movie. Predictable, not scary and "tired" (- like the developers were tired of building the game)

the third would be Marathon, but its been a while since I played it the first time. I was probalby easier to scare back then.

Doom III dident scare me at all. It was too predictable. When ever you moved into an area, and the door infornt of you was closed, and the the door behind you shut itself, you knew you would be attacked . Also, you knew when the spiders (-"scary" monsters) would come out, because the ONLY time that the designers made the low ventilation openings the spiders came out of, was when they DID come out. Talk about predicatability. Sheesh.
The Unreal Sunspire, and Skraj-motherhip levels were scarier.

I miss a game equivalent of a good korean horror movie. :(

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#37 Magnum

Magnum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:06 PM

Well, Dino Crisis has it's "AHH! RAPTOR!' moments, and this one scene where a T-Rex pokes it's head through the wall  at an unexpected moment. (I jumped like 5 feet <_<)
2.71828183 * 3.14159265 * 299792458

#38 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:24 AM

View PostWSTE_M, on July 3rd 2007, 02:54 PM, said:

Also, you knew when the spiders (-"scary" monsters) would come out, because the ONLY time that the designers made the low ventilation openings the spiders came out of, was when they DID come out. Talk about predicatability. Sheesh.
The Unreal Sunspire, and Skraj-motherhip levels were scarier.

I definitely agree. I say it's better to throw in scary things when people don't expect them. I mean, if I'm walking around "Blooddeathkillyou Manor" I expect to have nasty monsters jumping out at me. But it tends to be better if you don't. Have the player traipse through the nasty scary place with eerie music and disturbing sounds... then have the hideous flesh flaying horror attack partway through "The field of candy canes, unicorns, and happy smiles."

#39 Sparky9292

Sparky9292

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:35 AM

Thief 3 had the Cradle level which scared the crap out of most people.  The entire game is sorta creepy since you want to avoid fights and are sneaking around in the dark, but the Cradle level is the one to play with the lights out.

Posted Image

Undying had some nice creepy moments with the pictures watching you -- but it was the sound FX that really got to you:

Posted Image

#40 Douglas

Douglas

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:34 PM

I remember seeing a "Mary Kate and Ashley" game at the store one time and got pretty scared...

Douglas

:)
- 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro, 4GB ram, Mac OS X 10.5.8, Windows XP Pro & Vista, Nvidia 8800 GT
- 1.67 GHz PPC G4 Powerbook, 2 GB ram, 80 GB hd (OS X 10.5.8)
- 1 Ghz PPC G3 Blue & White, 1 GB ram, 320 GB hd (OS 9.1)

Playing - (Mac OS)  Bioshock, Battlefield 1942, Halo (Windows) Battlefield 2