#1 Ledorax

Ledorax

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:09 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get the mac os X port of Abuse? The website for the people who made it is broken, and I can't seem to find it anywhere else. Maybe someone has it and is willing to send it to me somehow?

Thanks beforehand.

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:47 PM

Forerunners.org used to have a whole department based on Abuse, but sadly that has bitten the dust too.  You can still find Abuse on the old ~trandor site in the Way Back Machine though.  Give this link a try, I found it there.  Remember to download the proper SDL library too.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Ledorax

Ledorax

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for the link, I downloaded the program but when I open it, it just quits again. I downloaded the SDL stuff and I even tried replacing the included datafiles with my own without any luck.

Guess I'll just have to play it in classic, it doesn't work perfectly but at least it works. Thanks anyway.

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:29 PM

Bump, because I was just looking for the same thing. Thanks for the link, tBC. I'll see how this works under Tiger once I get my G4 repaired. Going to give it a try on the old Powerbook under Jaguar in the meantime.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:07 PM

Meh, same problem, the OSX build unexpectedly quits on lauch every time.

That's one more fun game to the ginormous list of games I won't be able to play anymore when I go Mactel. :glare:
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

All I can suggest is a game of RL Abuse.  Put on your flight suit and helmet, arm yourself with a rubber band gun, go out into your yard, squat down a bit and bob in place, then take off after some cats.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:49 PM

This seems to be its current home.

#8 Blany66

Blany66

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:46 AM

Brilliant. I haven't played this for years.

#9 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

View PostTesseract, on October 1st 2008, 08:49 PM, said:

This seems to be its current home.
Hey, the one at that link actually works. A bit buggy, won't run in full screen, and doesn't look like it uses the smoothed out graphics that were in the Mac port, but at least it works.

EDIT: I see that you can get those smoothed out graphics if you have the original Mac version though. Just plop the art folder into the OS X version's package in place of the current one. Presto.

Eric5h5:

#10 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

Anyone know if there have been any updates on the Abuse front since this ancient thread? Mac and/or Windows, doesn't matter to me.

Right now Abuse works on nothing except my PowerBook G4, and that's not cool. I've been working this weekend on getting everything Bungie to be playable on my Macs and my Tiki. I've got all the Marathons, Pathways Into Darkness, the Myth TFL and Myth II, Oni, and Halo 1 and 2 running. Abuse and Myth III (technically not Bungie but who cares) are the only things left.

Eric5h5:

#11 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:40 AM

The version I linked to in 2008 was updated since then, most recently in 2011. No Mac binaries of that version available though, only source. Since you asked, I tried building it and succeeded after making some fixes.

Since apparently us plebs can't make attachments, ISP hosting ahoy: users.tpg.com.au…abuse-port.tar.gz

That's a Portfile and associated patches that can be used to install with MacPorts. I could probably make a binary installer, and probably even an app bundle, but that's more work (would have to bundle SDL and SDL_mixer among other things).

#12 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

View PostTesseract, on 30 January 2014 - 04:40 AM, said:

The version I linked to in 2008 was updated since then, most recently in 2011. No Mac binaries of that version available though, only source. Since you asked, I tried building it and succeeded after making some fixes.

Since apparently us plebs can't make attachments, ISP hosting ahoy: users.tpg.com.au…abuse-port.tar.gz

That's a Portfile and associated patches that can be used to install with MacPorts. I could probably make a binary installer, and probably even an app bundle, but that's more work (would have to bundle SDL and SDL_mixer among other things).
Well I'd offer to do it, but I have no idea what you just said, so I'll just say thanks! :P

Eric5h5:

#13 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

Seriously? If so then... what he said is...

"Here's support files you would need to get Macports to compile this game.

I could compile it for you and make an installer (including making the game into an .app file) but that'd be more work.. especially since I'd have to bundle SDL libraries and other stuff."

:P
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

Yeah, that's what he said Frost you big dummy!  Geez, even I knew what he said and I failed nerd.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:02 AM

OK fine, here's an installer: http://users.tpg.com.../abuse-0.8.mpkg

That will install the files you'd end up with if you extracted the previous archive and ran
cd abuse && sudo port install
except it's self-contained in /opt/abuse so it doesn't conflict with the standard MacPorts prefix. This build should work on 10.7+.

The executable will be at /opt/abuse/bin/abuse and you can run that from Terminal, or create a double-clickable shortcut with Automator or Platypus or something.

#16 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

Or you can make an applet with applescript with a line such as

do shell script ""

And put the path to whatever executable you want to launch with whatever arguments you want to pass on to it between the quotes. I do that for launching mods or emulators that are command line driven without having to use the terminal every time I want to launch a mod.

For example I use it to launch Mario 64 in Mupen64 with this line...

do shell script "exec /Games/N64/run_rice.sh /Games/N64/ROM/Mario64.v64"

You can also edit the plist inside the applet .app file and add LSUIElement 1 as a string so it doesn't give you a second dock icon if you want.. or use the app called "dock dodger" to do that for you via drag and drop. Dock Dodger doesn't work with many new Mac apps but it does for applescript applets.

Note: if your path to the executable has any spaces in them you need to enclose those parts with single quotes.

Like /Applications/'Doom 3.app'/ for example.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#17 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostTesseract, on 31 January 2014 - 07:02 AM, said:

OK fine, here's an installer: http://users.tpg.com.../abuse-0.8.mpkg

That will install the files you'd end up with if you extracted the previous archive and ran
cd abuse && sudo port install
except it's self-contained in /opt/abuse so it doesn't conflict with the standard MacPorts prefix. This build should work on 10.7+.

The executable will be at /opt/abuse/bin/abuse and you can run that from Terminal, or create a double-clickable shortcut with Automator or Platypus or something.
<Toy Story Aliens> YOU HAVE SAVED US. WE ARE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL.

Eric5h5:

#18 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

Oh yeah, and don't forget to read the manual:
man /opt/abuse/share/man/man6/abuse.6.gz

You'll probably want to edit the config file it describes in order to change the scale factor or enable fullscreen mode.

#19 Who Knows?

Who Knows?

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:07 PM

Does anyone still have access to the .mpkg installer?  I have the folder in my opt/ folder but I'd like a easy backup just incase.
This isn't the signature you're looking for.

#20 G_Player

G_Player

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:36 AM

"Abuse for mac os X"

*cusses at Mac*
My computer often beats me in Strip Poker but doesn't stand a chance against my kick-boxing!