48 replies to this topic

#41 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

Why not get the X1600 drivers directly from ATI and use those instead of the bootcamp ones?
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#42 LoneIgadzra

LoneIgadzra

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:29 PM

View PostDark_Archon, on August 7th 2007, 10:46 PM, said:

Why not get the X1600 drivers directly from ATI and use those instead of the bootcamp ones?

The problem is the same in both. The latest Boot Camp drivers don't include the classic control panel, and the CCC (which can be installed both with the official Boot Camp drivers and the latest ATI Mobility drivers) doesn't allow you to change this setting. (And if you don't know what those are, it's a foregone conclusion that you don't know the answer to my problem anyway.)

For those who asked, my computer is a MacBook Pro, and what I'm trying to run is any game that won't run smoothly at native. Sorry, but 1280x768 is not an option in Oblivion. Way too slow. 1024x768 is the best I can do in that and other games. Stretched is completely unacceptable, I can't imagine a situation in which it would be acceptable, and it really irks me that it's the default.
Wii: 7762 0905 3090 1582 SSBB: 2578 3375 6256

#43 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:05 AM

Did you try to adjust the resolution in the Windows Display Control Panel? If you've all ready answered this-sorry...

#44 LoneIgadzra

LoneIgadzra

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:00 PM

View PostHuntn, on August 8th 2007, 09:05 AM, said:

Did you try to adjust the resolution in the Windows Display Control Panel? If you've all ready answered this-sorry...

The problem is that when I set the resolution to a non-widescreen resolution it's stretched, control panel or otherwise. Older versions of the Boot Camp graphics drivers included a control panel, found under "advanced" in the settings tab of the display control, that included somewhere a check box to change this. Newer versions of the ATI drivers don't support this classic control panel, and the incredibly awful Catalyst Control Center that they do support doesn't have the old check box. The third-party ATI TrayTools software seems to include such an option, under Displays > Settings, but it doesn't do anything.

#45 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:21 PM

View PostLoneIgadzra, on August 8th 2007, 01:00 PM, said:

The problem is that when I set the resolution to a non-widescreen resolution it's stretched, control panel or otherwise. Older versions of the Boot Camp graphics drivers included a control panel, found under "advanced" in the settings tab of the display control, that included somewhere a check box to change this. Newer versions of the ATI drivers don't support this classic control panel, and the incredibly awful Catalyst Control Center that they do support doesn't have the old check box. The third-party ATI TrayTools software seems to include such an option, under Displays > Settings, but it doesn't do anything.

I was not referring to a 3rd party setting or ATI software, but a Windows Control Panel that controls the display (Start/Control Panels/Display). Just checking if you tried that.

#46 LoneIgadzra

LoneIgadzra

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:08 AM

View PostHuntn, on August 8th 2007, 05:21 PM, said:

I was not referring to a 3rd party setting or ATI software, but a Windows Control Panel that controls the display (Start/Control Panels/Display). Just checking if you tried that.
What I was saying though is it's no longer available in Boot Camp 1.3.

Anyway, I found the setting in the Catalyst Control Center. Turns out it's under "Notebook Panel Properties" and "Scaling" (or something similar).

#47 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:02 PM

View PostLoneIgadzra, on August 13th 2007, 07:08 AM, said:

What I was saying though is it's no longer available in Boot Camp 1.3.

Anyway, I found the setting in the Catalyst Control Center. Turns out it's under "Notebook Panel Properties" and "Scaling" (or something similar).

So you fixed it?

What I was talking about is a part of Windows XP not Boot Camp.

#48 LoneIgadzra

LoneIgadzra

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:30 AM

View PostHuntn, on August 13th 2007, 11:02 PM, said:

So you fixed it?

What I was talking about is a part of Windows XP not Boot Camp.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm using the phrase "Boot Camp" to refer to the drivers.

#49 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:16 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on July 29th 2007, 09:56 AM, said:

If the only modern shooters you've played are the original Half Life 2 and Oblivion, you've actually managed to fake yourself out.  Your system would be slaughtered by Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and GRAW (not to mention SC: Double Agent and GRAW 2).  Those games are the logical stepping stone between your early DX9 stuff and DX10.

Supreme Commander (a new game) plays well on the old P4 although I'm not foolish enough to dispute what your saying. :)

View PostLoneIgadzra, on August 14th 2007, 12:30 PM, said:

I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm using the phrase "Boot Camp" to refer to the drivers.

Ok, you found the answer in the Catalyst Control Panel. I've been trying to figure out if the WindowsXP Display Control Panel could have fixed that problem. If you are  adventurous, you could go there and see what effect changing setting there has.