48 replies to this topic

#1 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:15 AM

So since a bunch of you are currently running out to by the awesome new MacBook Pro, and several of you are going to go back and install Vista and check out some DX10 only game demos:

Does it work?

Word on the street is that Boot Camp doesn't have drivers for that card yet, and it'd be interesting to see whether or not you can drop NVIDIA's Win drivers straight in there.

(No network drivers either, apparently)
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#2 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:55 AM

Yes you can use NVIDIA's drivers straight away and run DX10 games. Boot Camp will be updated soon, I heard before next Wednesday.

#3 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:03 AM

Even if you do get the NVIDIA drivers to work that aren't included with boot camp, don't expect stellar performance. NIVDIA drivers for Vista have been known to suck.

so my suggestion, wait until apple releases the new boot camp (or at least upgrade the drivers when they do).

#4 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:08 AM

Apple doesn't write the drivers for boot camp, they just put them together in a package. I'd actually go straight to NVidia's site so you can stay up to date on the drivers. Apple doesn't update the Boot Camp drivers as often as NVidia updates their drivers.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#5 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:07 PM

View PostLemon Lime, on June 6th 2007, 11:03 AM, said:

Even if you do get the NVIDIA drivers to work that aren't included with boot camp, don't expect stellar performance. NIVDIA drivers for Vista have been known to suck.

so my suggestion, wait until apple releases the new boot camp (or at least upgrade the drivers when they do).

actually, the NVIDIA drivers are getting better and better with each release.  The releases are also fairly frequent since Vista shipped.
"Nothing here but us text"

#6 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:54 PM

As of right now, there are no graphics or audio drivers for the new 8600M GT-powered MacBook Pros.  Simply put, you won't be playing anything more graphically complex than Peggle, and you'll have to make the sound effects yourself until Apple updates Boot Camp next week.  ;)
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#7 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:05 AM

Oh yeah, you have to buy Vista to take advantage... I wonder how well Crysis will run on this  baby? Can't wait!

#8 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 07 June 2007 - 03:23 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on June 7th 2007, 03:54 AM, said:

As of right now, there are no graphics or audio drivers for the new 8600M GT-powered MacBook Pros.  Simply put, you won't be playing anything more graphically complex than Peggle, and you'll have to make the sound effects yourself until Apple updates Boot Camp next week.  ;)

Yes there are, grab 101.17 from here (not 101.19) for video:
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

Audio:
http://www.realtek.c...p;GetDown=false

Network:
http://www.marvell.c...l...=101&pId=39 (Vista)
http://www.marvell.c...l...d=116&pId=3 (XP)

#9 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:16 PM

theres a new version of bootcamp just been released with new drivers for the MBP... also gives you backlit keyboard support.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#10 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:50 PM

Unfortunately, there's currently an issue with Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and its HDR, but other than that, this MacBook Pro obliterates my G5.  Give me one or two solid driver updates, and I'll be an extremely happy customer.
InsideMacGames.com

#11 randfee

randfee

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:06 PM

did anyone try some DX10 stuff now? How are the drivers coming?
crazy physicist
MBP SR 2,4GHz | GeForce 8600mGT 256MB | 4GB RAM (Buffalo) | 250GB (WD2500BEVS)

#12 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:16 AM

As I said in the other MacBook Pro thread, do NOT try those drivers, unless you like reinstalling Windows from scratch. ;)
InsideMacGames.com

#13 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:40 AM

View Postrandfee, on June 20th 2007, 07:06 PM, said:

did anyone try some DX10 stuff now? How are the drivers coming?

I'd like to reemphasize, the first person to get a DX10 game running on your Mac using DX10, please report in with performance and the overall pretty-ness factor! :D

Based on a discussion I had with a local PC builder, all is not well in Vista land from a driver standpoint as in incompatibilities and lousy performance. Because of that I think most of the DX10 games this year will also support DX9. I know I'll be trying Crysis on my P4 with DX9 and later on my yet-to-be owned MBP.

#14 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

Well, I need to get my hands on a copy of Vista to do DX10, but I have Lost Planet: Extreme Conditions that has both DX9 and DX10 rendering paths.  Based on the DX9 performance I've been getting, we'll never be able to run DX10 stuff on the current rev of MacBook Pros because the 8600M GT's fillrate is waaaaaay too low.  With moderate-to-high settings (no FSAA, default 4xAF), I can barely eek out 25 fps at 1024x640.  Even if nTune or RivaTuner is updated to be compatible with this system, I expect that I might be able to push that figure up 20-30% with overclocking, which would put performance into the very low 30 fps range.

According to the reports I've been reading, DX10 performance on this first generation of DX10-compatible cards (even on dual 8800GTX/HD 2900XT SLI setups) is pretty horrifying.  I'll try to write to my press contact with Microsoft today and see if they'll send me a copy of Vista and Halo 2 (yes, I know it's DX9) for review.  I think that people would like a review of Boot Camp under XP and Vista once Leopard comes out.
InsideMacGames.com

#15 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:16 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on July 24th 2007, 12:23 PM, said:

Well, I need to get my hands on a copy of Vista to do DX10, but I have Lost Planet: Extreme Conditions that has both DX9 and DX10 rendering paths.  Based on the DX9 performance I've been getting, we'll never be able to run DX10 stuff on the current rev of MacBook Pros because the 8600M GT's fillrate is waaaaaay too low.  With moderate-to-high settings (no FSAA, default 4xAF), I can barely eek out 25 fps at 1024x640.  Even if nTune or RivaTuner is updated to be compatible with this system, I expect that I might be able to push that figure up 20-30% with overclocking, which would put performance into the very low 30 fps range.

According to the reports I've been reading, DX10 performance on this first generation of DX10-compatible cards (even on dual 8800GTX/HD 2900XT SLI setups) is pretty horrifying.  I'll try to write to my press contact with Microsoft today and see if they'll send me a copy of Vista and Halo 2 (yes, I know it's DX9) for review.  I think that people would like a review of Boot Camp under XP and Vista once Leopard comes out.

Lost Planet is the game I'm going to try on my P4 using DX9 when my new card arrives. It is an older ATI Radeon X1300 card with 3.0 shaders. If you know how to make Lost Planet show FPS give me a shout and maybe we can compare notes on Mac to PC performance.

I'm amazed that PC techs are saying stay away from Vista for now. I've also read in a PC rag that when you get to 4GB RAM the performance difference between XP and Vista is minimal. Is that accurate or just a misleading statement? (asking myself)

#16 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:24 PM

View PostHuntn, on July 25th 2007, 01:16 PM, said:

Lost Planet is the game I'm going to try on my P4 using DX9 when my new card arrives. It is an older ATI Radeon X1300 card with 3.0 shaders. If you know how to make Lost Planet show FPS give me a shout and maybe we can compare notes on Mac to PC performance.

I'm amazed that PC techs are saying stay away from Vista for now. I've also read in a PC rag that when you get to 4GB RAM the performance difference between XP and Vista is minimal. Is that accurate or just a misleading statement? (asking myself)

You don't want 4 GB of RAM in 32-bit Windows XP or Vista.  Vista performance is still pretty nasty (or so I've heard).

There's a thing in the options menu that says something like, "FPS View."  Turn that on, and it'll show framerate.  If you can't find it (I think it's pretty brainless), let me know.  I can't imagine that the X1300 will do well at resolutions above 640x480, but I've been known to be wrong. ;)
InsideMacGames.com

#17 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:10 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on July 25th 2007, 01:24 PM, said:

You don't want 4 GB of RAM in 32-bit Windows XP or Vista.  Vista performance is still pretty nasty (or so I've heard).

There's a thing in the options menu that says something like, "FPS View."  Turn that on, and it'll show framerate.  If you can't find it (I think it's pretty brainless), let me know.  I can't imagine that the X1300 will do well at resolutions above 640x480, but I've been known to be wrong. ;)

I should have the X1300 by next week. I'll let you know. Thanks!

Regarding Vista, I understand it's overhead is higher. If 2GB RAM is good for XP, how much would be good for Vista to overcome the extra baggage to get decent performance? Maybe good performance on Vista is currently out of reach compared to XP.

#18 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:21 PM

Unless I've been living in a black hole for several picoseconds (= several years for the outside world), the rule of thumb for good performance is currently 1 GB of RAM for Windows XP and Mac OS X, and 2 GB for Vista.  If you're a gamer, I always tell people to tack on an extra gigabyte.  However, be careful with Windows--while the 32-bit versions of XP and Vista can *technically* address up to 4 GB of RAM, they've been known to have a lot of problems with systems equipped with 4 GB (the most common problem that I've heard of is that Windows doesn't see all of the RAM in the system).
InsideMacGames.com

#19 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:27 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on July 26th 2007, 06:21 PM, said:

Windows doesn't see all of the RAM in the system)

Just like OSX doesn't on those older Mac Books and Mac Book Pros. There's a technical problem that causes it, namely that some of the 32bit addresses are needed for devices and aren't mapped to RAM, so there's no 32bit addresses left to use for some of the RAM.

Edit: Quicksilver is right, it's not just under 32bit OSes, but infact the motherboard can't remap the RAM or the device addresses above 4GB, so they overlap permanently under 64b OSes too. Damn, that Intel engineering, what will they think of next?

#20 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:29 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on July 26th 2007, 07:21 PM, said:

However, be careful with Windows--while the 32-bit versions of XP and Vista can *technically* address up to 4 GB of RAM, they've been known to have a lot of problems with systems equipped with 4 GB (the most common problem that I've heard of is that Windows doesn't see all of the RAM in the system).

I've seen a PC that comes with 3GB of RAM recently. Probably for that reason.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7