• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#41 TJV

TJV

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:52 PM

View PostEVWeb, on May 20th 2007, 01:30 AM, said:

What shields?  Those are jet packs ( I think, it's kinda hard to tell ). Oh wait, there seems to be two types of infantry, ones with shields and then ones with jetbacks.

And come on, they'll balance it all out in the end.

I for sure am going to buy it.

No they're definitely shields. The infantry with jetpacks are reapers.  It'll be a good game.  I've owned every Blizzard computer game and have been quite satisfied with each.

#42 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:48 AM

Just read on CGTalk, that its rumored to be released Q4 this year.
Wouldn't that be nice?

Anyway, I'm going to not look anymore into anything new coming out about SCII.
If you look at the Protos mothership, just imagine what the Terrans or Zerg will have.
I just don't want to know untill I have the box right here.

#43 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:26 AM

The Terran units and especially the buildings look a bit too cartoony to me. They're supposed to be gritty and flat, not all clean and round-edged. The Warcraft III mod versions look more convincing. Hopefully they're still a work in progress.

In fact, when the game finally ships that gameplay movie might look hilarious to us.

#44 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:24 AM

What I find weird is that the Terran Battlecruisers, which are supposed to be huge ships, are still so small in-game that they look like single-seated fighters.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#45 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:53 AM

Well, they did say they wanted to keep the approximate scaling of the first games. Besides, once you'd have several huge battle cruiser I imagine it'd be hard to see what's underneath.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#46 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:16 PM

The scale issue seems weirder than it did in the first game to me.  With the graphics looking more realistic than in the first game (I mean all the 3D stuff we have now, slightly cartoony feel notwithstanding) a scaling issue stands out more.  I was kind of hoping they'd alter it a bit — doesn't have to get all the way to "realism", which would have to make a battlecruiser take up two screens worth of space or something, but at least make the battlecruisers look BIG, relative to the land units and smaller fliers.  And same goes of course for other big stuff — it was hard to believe they're calling that little flying saucer a "mothership".

#47 morback

morback

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:58 PM

View Postzapranoth, on May 20th 2007, 10:47 PM, said:

I think you're worrying needlessly...

What you really should be looking into is where the red dot is.

I hate the red dot.

Cowards.

:bleedingeyes:

#48 Aleksi

Aleksi

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:46 PM

View Postbadger2d, on May 21st 2007, 02:16 PM, said:

The scale issue seems weirder than it did in the first game to me.  With the graphics looking more realistic than in the first game (I mean all the 3D stuff we have now, slightly cartoony feel notwithstanding) a scaling issue stands out more.  I was kind of hoping they'd alter it a bit — doesn't have to get all the way to "realism", which would have to make a battlecruiser take up two screens worth of space or something, but at least make the battlecruisers look BIG, relative to the land units and smaller fliers.  And same goes of course for other big stuff — it was hard to believe they're calling that little flying saucer a "mothership".

Yeah, i must agree with that. It looks like little toys to me… I remember seeing the battlecruiser in the cinematics of the original Starcraft and THAT was impressive…

#49 Thinine

Thinine

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:57 PM

What's the red dot?

I'm only concerned about the cartooniness of the Terran structures. As others have said, they don't seem to blend stylistically.

#50 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:16 PM

View PostThinine, on May 21st 2007, 04:57 PM, said:

What's the red dot?

I'm only concerned about the cartooniness of the Terran structures. As others have said, they don't seem to blend stylistically.

The red dot is nothing to worry about.

Ignore it, and go on with building your army, and gathering...
"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard, and floor it.
Floor it.  That's technical talk."   - SRV

#51 sleyes

sleyes

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:46 PM

View Postbadger2d, on May 21st 2007, 02:16 PM, said:

... but at least make the battlecruisers look BIG, relative to the land units and smaller fliers.

Yeah, it's kinda strange that a Zerg Overlord is almost the size of a Battlecruiser (in the original game)... the "new" BCs seem to have shrunk relative to everything else. Hopefully they're still working on 'em.

Heavy ordinance is always the biggest un-realism element in RTS -- AoE3 did a good job with large lumbering ships, but most others really have to downscale the effects of ultimate weapons. A Yamato Cannon blast should really take out half a base, not just one ion cannon; the new mothership should probably be the size of the entire map.

#52 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:28 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on May 19th 2007, 11:03 AM, said:

In case you were wondering but were afraid to ask, yes, this is me.

Posted Image
As the machines were welding you into your powered armor, all I could think of was, "What happens in 18 hours when he's gotta take a dump?"
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#53 Magnum

Magnum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:57 PM

View PostFrost, on May 21st 2007, 09:28 PM, said:

As the machines were welding you into your powered armor, all I could think of was, "What happens in 18 hours when he's gotta take a dump?"

It's the future, they got toilets built right in. And when they defeat their foes they simply empty the waste on em.
2.71828183 * 3.14159265 * 299792458

#54 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:20 PM

I think to-scale large ships could be done well if the game had several levels to it. You have your Marines and your Siege Tanks and your Zealots like normal, then you hit a key and zoom out to a more distant version of the battlefield and there you have your Battlecruisers and motherships and the ground units are little dots.

It would be cool, but I don't think it would be necessary. I don't have a problem with things not being perfectly to scale.

#55 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:38 PM

I don't think that'd be so hot.  Starcraft is really a game about fast-paced land combat with lots of infantry and vehicles, and some support from the air.  If you made the ships so big you have to zoom out just to see them, that'd completely change the focus and feel of the game.

Somebody mentioned Ao3's sailing ships as an example of how to do the scaling well, and I agree.  Those ships are a lot bigger than all the other units, and that looks impressive and feels realistic enough.  If you really think about it, they still aren't at all big enough relative to the other units to be realistically to scale, but that isn't the point — the point is, they ought to look a lot bigger than the infantry, and they do.  That makes them feel 'right' enough that you aren't distracted by a thought like, "man, that dinky little warship looks like it could only hold one friggin' person!"

#56 rbarris

rbarris

Valve Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

View PostMagnum, on May 22nd 2007, 02:57 AM, said:

It's the future, they got toilets built right in. And when they defeat their foes they simply empty the waste on em.

I guess you guys never saw "Back to the Future".

When you can use Mr. Fusion to convert anything into raw nuclear energy...

#57 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:46 PM

So I have to fear that my future toilet may turn out to be an accidental nuclear bomb? Ee gads!
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#58 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:30 PM

Mr. Barris has just let slip another SC 2 secret:  marines will have yamato guns, too!  But whereas battlecruisers have the yamato gun at the front, marines will have it on the backs of their suits...

#59 Kat In Fat

Kat In Fat

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Location:Where the Blizz rules the world and im right-hand man

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:41 PM

I would just like to say some stuffs on SCII that i belive and think i know-im propbably just an idiot on a comp but thats okay.

You guys are saying the graphics look too cartoonish. Well from the gameplay video i see that they are yes, they are rounded and shiney but does it make a differance? When i saw this the first thing i said to myself was "holy Baluga Whale! those graphic look awesome!". Starcraft is a cartoonish type of game, its not realistic really and they dont want it to be realistic. Its a fantasy world do you really think theres  a certain way it should look?

Also, i have always thought blizz's scaling sucks. W3 a hero is taller than the barracks for the humans, i mean WHAAT? SC3 is better in this but the air units 1 are not the most important thing in the game 2 they want to be able to put 300 units on the screen at 1 time. how the heck are you gunna see 300 zerglings and marines when you hav 5 bigger-than-screen battlecruisers catching on fire while your marines get ownzered.  :bleedingeyes: owchies!

When will the game come out?! Well, im hoping October November this year, because i made a bet wioth my friend. But they started the project when Frozen Throne game out and from what i saw they are about doene with graphics and skins. The protoss look completed and the Terran are half way there.(getting this from gameplay video) I think that zerg are some-what being started on. Probably the thing they needa do now is finish abbilities, get all the balancing done, and polish it. I really hope that can be done in 7 months.

Sleyes your coments on zergling wings-1: these may not be wings and may be something else 2: Its been 4 years since the other games and the zerg have evolved so now hvae cooler units-and maybe even wings. Hell, giant worms transport them around for all we know the zerg can all fly....(not really)

I also highly doubt Blizz is touching graphics, they look fine and the terrain looks kick butt!

If i make anyone angry by what I said, im sorry bout that. This is just my oppinion of the game. I have been playing Blizz games 8 years and i just love em, so just trying to help -.-
Koookkkiieeesss

#60 Kat In Fat

Kat In Fat

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Location:Where the Blizz rules the world and im right-hand man

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

Somebody say somin, its been a day! raghh! :wall: