kingarthur_kom

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:22 PM

View PostWSTE_M, on May 19th 2007, 07:30 AM, said:

IM disapointed. :(
Not that its Starcraft II, but that it looks like Blizzard went the same way they went from Warcraft II to Warcraft III, bigger explosions, bigger effects...
Everything looks so comic book/toy like.
Most of the Protoss nits glow, and not just a little, they glow like the ricers' cars glow.

Marines running around with shields ? oh give me a break!

Oh well, ill wait till the demo arrives.

W

I did not like Warcraft 3 at all because of the cartoony graphics. I didn't buy it. Starcraft 2 graphics according to the screenshots doesn't look as cartoony as WC3.
If it is a pay to play service then they lost another sale.

#22 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:39 PM

View Postkingarthur_kom, on May 19th 2007, 08:22 PM, said:

I did not like Warcraft 3 at all because of the cartoony graphics. I didn't buy it. Starcraft 2 graphics according to the screenshots doesn't look as cartoony as WC3.
If it is a pay to play service then they lost another sale.

I promise you, dude- - they won't notice it.    Everyone on the planet -1 =~ everyone on the planet.  ;)

The screenies are interesting.  Those squat little things with split treads and turrets certainly appear to be siege tanks in siege mode, and the explosions downslope of them (in the big zergling rush screenie) certainly look like tank shells hitting.  

It's going to be very hard imagining any other sound than that blessed, basso *thomp!* being a siege tank sound, though.

All sorts of bizarre protoss units... that huge flying ship throwing death rays straight down into the marines.  And is that a firebat's flame arcing out of a bunker in that zergling rush screenshot?

Dang.   I've been only marginally paying attention to the gaming scene for months, except for Defcon.  Now there's something to *really* wake me the hell up.  =)

Excelsior!
"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard, and floor it.
Floor it.  That's technical talk."   - SRV

#23 Aika

Aika

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:52 PM

View PostShadowboxer47, on May 19th 2007, 04:57 PM, said:

I know some people are complaining about the "cartoony" effects--but frankly, some of us (like myself) like this direction. Too many games have their graphics so pumped up, 99% of people can't play it on the best setting, making all other settings look very dated and crappy. However, Blizzard is changing that. When WC3 came out, I could play it on my Power Macintosh 9600 without a problem, and it still looked beautiful. Heck, after a couple of years, it STILL looks great.
I agree with every word. "Cartoony" art styles are timeless and have character, realism dates quickly and is forgettable. :)
iMac late 2013

#24 rbarris

rbarris

Valve Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:38 PM

View Postteflon, on May 19th 2007, 03:18 PM, said:

but to be fair we dont know how long theyve been working on this.

It was pointed out during one of the Q&A sessions that the team started work on the game in 2003 after Frozen Throne was finished.

#25 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:40 AM

aaaah. thanks for that nugget of info.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#26 EVWeb

EVWeb

Fan

• IMG Pro Users
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:30 AM

View PostWSTE_M, on May 19th 2007, 05:30 AM, said:

Not that its Starcraft II, but that it looks like Blizzard went the same way they went from Warcraft II to Warcraft III, bigger explosions, bigger effects...
Most of the Protoss nits glow, and not just a little, they glow like the ricers' cars glow.

Marines running around with shields ? oh give me a break!

Oh well, ill wait till the demo arrives.

W

What shields?  Those are jet packs ( I think, it's kinda hard to tell ). Oh wait, there seems to be two types of infantry, ones with shields and then ones with jetbacks.

And come on, they'll balance it all out in the end.

I for sure am going to buy it.
Programming Vaporware Since 2002.

#27 Infinity

Infinity

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:22 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=050akGtHDM4

#28 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:02 AM

Thanks Infinity...

Got goose bumbs even on places I don't have hair especially from that 3th video.
Wow dude.

Must... have....  :bleedingeyes:

#29 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the computer, the fridge and the nursery

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:38 AM

I am thrilled about the announcement.  I just recently played through the single-player campaigns again, and that certainly served to whet my appetite.  I am also excited to see another AAA game that isn't another Tolkien "homage"( or ripoff, depending on how cynical you want to be). I feel like THAT well has run dry. Although if there was a way to play WoW without going online and competing with 11-year-olds and indentured Chinese gold farmers that would be pretty cool.

To be honest, I would have been pretty happy with a patch for the old StarCraft that would have added some of the more sophisticated command functions that WarCraft 3 has, and maybe added some game-play-improving content in the way the 1.10 patch reinvigorated Diablo 2.  Even if SC2 is just SC with better graphics and slightly more sophisticated controls (like, larger groups, etc.) I'll be stoked.  I just hope it doesn't break my computer.

#30 morback

morback

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:23 PM

anyone else concerned that it might be a bit too much of:

unit A > unit B
unit C > unit A
unit B > unit C

type of gameplay?
I'm looking at the siege tank footage and the jump-pack marines. Looks very one sided and might stiffle gameplay.

I hope it's a highly moddable game as well. I did not care for WC3 standard game but there were some awesome mods for it (SC Zone control hehe)
Graphics are ok imho, the're kinda sharp and high contrast, but that's just to enhance the action gameplay feeling.

I'm pretty sure I will be geting this. Blizzard does do really good and well finished games.

#31 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:32 PM

View Postmorback, on May 20th 2007, 12:23 PM, said:

anyone else concerned that it might be a bit too much of:

unit A > unit B
unit C > unit A
unit B > unit C

type of gameplay?
I'm looking at the siege tank footage and the jump-pack marines. Looks very one sided and might stiffle gameplay.

... um... the original Starcraft already has hard counters (which is what you're talking about here).   Do you like the original?  I guess your comment just seems disconnected, to me.  Did you actually play the original?  =)    Ever try to rush a bunch of firebats with zerglings, or a pack of mutalisks against corsairs or valks?   Or dragoons against cracklings?  Or dragoons against sieged tanks?   (not really a hard counter there.)  Or siege tanks against speed zealots?    Or... ?    Or...?   Or....?

I have all confidence in Blizzard's ability to balance the game and to Make It Kick Ass.  They never miss.   (Well, I thought D and D2 were ultimately tedious.   But that's just a matter of taste.  They were *good* games.  And I will never try WoW, but it's a well done production, too.)

#32 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:55 PM

Uhm.. yes, what zapranoth said, Starcraft is a rock-paper-scissors game.
That was what made it cool IMHO.

anyway; I think I should clarify what I meant by "cartoonish graphics".
What I meant was by that, was not how simple the polygons are, but how caricature like they are.
Like the way that you you would present stuff (be it people, animals or objects) in childrens movies and comics.
The way old Disney movies looked. That sort of stuff.

This is (a part of) what I dident like in WoW, how all the buildings, people and monsters were like a childs imagination.
And im pretty sure that those marines are packing shields, not jetpacks,look at this pic here
See those red marines, how flat the "objects" are, and how they seem to be holding a gun in one hand, and the shield in the other ?
Then agian it is very early to tell that, alot might change till the day the demo/game comes.

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#33 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:41 PM

View PostWSTE_M, on May 19th 2007, 08:30 AM, said:

I have to agree.  I can't take the campy/retro units for long.  I hope they are open to altering the graphics to some degree.  But, I wasn't thrilled w/ Civ4's sprites either and it's a good game.

View PostJanichsan, on May 19th 2007, 10:54 AM, said:

Far too early to tell, but I personally doubt it. Based on the average time between Blizzard's announcements of new games and their actual release, SC2 won't be released before mid-2008, maybe even 2009. There won't be much of a market for PPC compatible games at this time.

Mid-2008?  Well, no need getting worked up now.  Having never played SC, I see this game as my first ever Blizzard title.  I was hoping for an earlier release.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#34 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:02 PM

Personally, I'm impressed with what I've seen.  Blizzard is looking to keep what made the original starcraft a great game while taking advantage of modern hardware.  In other words, they didn't try to fix what wasn't broken like they did with WCIII.

#35 sleyes

sleyes

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:13 PM

View Postzapranoth, on May 19th 2007, 09:39 PM, said:

The screenies are interesting.  Those squat little things with split treads and turrets certainly appear to be siege tanks in siege mode, and the explosions downslope of them (in the big zergling rush screenie) certainly look like tank shells hitting.

Yes, they are siege tanks. They roll in on their quad treads and then lock down by turning them out, along with a couple of buttresses.

View Postzapranoth, on May 19th 2007, 09:39 PM, said:

It's going to be very hard imagining any other sound than that blessed, basso *thomp!* being a siege tank sound, though.

Sounded like they still thomp.

View PostEVWeb, on May 20th 2007, 02:30 AM, said:

What shields?  Those are jet packs ( I think, it's kinda hard to tell ). Oh wait, there seems to be two types of infantry, ones with shields and then ones with jetbacks.

New units are Reapers - light infantry with jet packs, can traverse most simple obstacles... designed for rushing bases/defended choke points.

#36 sleyes

sleyes

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

OK, time to start pontificating...

First impression: Awesome! Looks gorgeous, sounds great (even in Korean), seems to play good. This looks like Starcraft, just more/better. I tned to agree with other posters that Warcraft III seems like too much of a shift when it went 3d... even though both its predecessors (WCI & WCII) were also "cartoony" compared to other games. Blizzard went a little darker with WoW, and it helped. Starcraft II definitely looks like it'll hold it's own vs similar games (AoE3, C&CGenerals, RoN)... assuming it comes out relatively soon.

Likes/plusses:

-LOTS o' units
-Eye candy/detail (anyone else notice the "Real men Drill Deep" sign?)
-New units/capabilities
-Cool interface improvements (love the portaits of the narrator characters)

Concerns/worries/kvetching

-Zerglings with WINGS? do they jump? I dunno... zerglings used to be unique, evil little things -- now they're twice the size of a human and look like crickets. I hate crickets.
-I know nothing's final, but it looks like a lotta things have been changed for change's sake --  Zergling wings, Marine shields, etc. Concept art shows hydralisks with two "blades" per arm instead of one... no big deal, but why bother? Wasn't the old hydralisk scary enough?
-I realize i'm not the core target for this game (i don't really like/play multiplayer or online, and I don't live and breathe gaming), but I'm worried this is gonna turn into a complicated sonuvabitch for us casual gamers... I really don't want to have to hotkey eighteen separate perfectly balanced groups of exactly the right mix of units and send them in specific waves to conquer some specifi target. I realize the need for balanced forces, but I want to be able to have a variety of options (like sending 10,000 zerglings in) and have at least a _chance_ of winning... I don't want Starcraft to turn into a "gotta read the gamespot walkthrough and do exactly what they say to win" experience.

I'm happy at this point -- I think Blizzard knows this game and won't screw with too much, just expand on it. If SC:Ghost is any indication, they learn from their mistakes... don't mess with a winning formula.

#37 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:16 PM

I must admit, the vids are awesome.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#38 Infinity

Infinity

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:44 PM

Reapers have 2 pistols and a jetpack. Not to be confused with normal marines.

#39 morback

morback

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:38 PM

View Postzapranoth, on May 20th 2007, 01:32 PM, said:

... um... the original Starcraft already has hard counters (which is what you're talking about here).   Do you like the original?  I guess your comment just seems disconnected, to me.  Did you actually play the original?  =)    Ever try to rush a bunch of firebats with zerglings, or a pack of mutalisks against corsairs or valks?   Or dragoons against cracklings?  Or dragoons against sieged tanks?   (not really a hard counter there.)  Or siege tanks against speed zealots?    Or... ?    Or...?   Or....?

Yes of course.
I am just concerned it might be pushed to the extreme in this case.
But then again it was a demonstration of units and counters (no mixes).

A grenade launcher or some sort of contraption to bog down melee units (goo gun?) would have made more sense than a shield. After all, marines being convicts, are expendable.

#40 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:47 PM

View Postmorback, on May 20th 2007, 08:38 PM, said:

Yes of course.
I am just concerned it might be pushed to the extreme in this case.
But then again it was a demonstration of units and counters (no mixes).

A grenade launcher or some sort of contraption to bog down melee units (goo gun?) would have made more sense than a shield. After all, marines being convicts, are expendable.

I think you're worrying needlessly...

What you really should be looking into is where the red dot is.