95 replies to this topic

#1 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:20 AM

To nobody's surprise, Blizzard announced that Starcraft 2 is on its way! It looks to be a worthy extension of the original, and as always the game will debut simultaneously on both the PC and Mac. Check out Blizzard for the full scoop.
I Can't Feel My Torso Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#2 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:30 AM

IM disapointed. :(
Not that its Starcraft II, but that it looks like Blizzard went the same way they went from Warcraft II to Warcraft III, bigger explosions, bigger effects...
Everything looks so comic book/toy like.
Most of the Protoss nits glow, and not just a little, they glow like the ricers' cars glow.

Marines running around with shields ? oh give me a break!

Oh well, ill wait till the demo arrives.

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#3 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:43 AM

View PostBlackshawk, on May 19th 2007, 02:20 PM, said:

and as always the game will debut simultaneously on both the PC and Mac.

Where did you read that? All I saw was it will be made for the PC?

#4 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:02 AM

From http://www.starcraft2.com/faq.xml

Will StarCraft II be available on Mac simultaneously with PC?
As with all of Blizzard's recent releases, StarCraft II will ship on both PC and Mac simultaneously.

As if that wasent enough, Rob Barris has even said so on the forum here. :)

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#5 VASTer

VASTer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:49 AM

Might be a little early to ask, but do you think there's any chance blizzard will make this universal binary? (ie. Work on powerpc). I'm hoping my Dual G5 w/6800 Ultra still has a bit of life left in it yet (might be wishful thinking though  :P) and I won't need a new computer for Starcraft 2.

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:54 AM

View PostVASTer, on May 19th 2007, 04:49 PM, said:

Might be a little early to ask, but do you think there's any chance blizzard will make this universal binary?
Far too early to tell, but I personally doubt it. Based on the average time between Blizzard's announcements of new games and their actual release, SC2 won't be released before mid-2008, maybe even 2009. There won't be much of a market for PPC compatible games at this time.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:03 AM

@ The above two posters replying to my question: thank you for telling me I need better glasses. ^^
Really didn't see that.

@ Janichsan, do you know what the time difference was between the announcement of WoW and its
actual release?

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:08 AM

View PostRiko, on May 19th 2007, 05:03 PM, said:

@ Janichsan, do you know what the time difference was between the announcement of WoW and its actual release?
About one and a half year.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:18 AM

but to be fair we dont know how long theyve been working on this. It could be at a stage where, like Valve did with HL2, they are announcing about 6 months before the projected release date... of course, Valve then delayed for another year...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:31 AM

Gotta move this to Mac Strategy.  Hold onto your little cigars.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 Shadowboxer47

Shadowboxer47

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:57 AM

I, for one, welcome our Starcraft II overlords. I've been waiting for this since Brood War. Honestly, I don't see how they could make this game suck. I find it almost impossible.

I know some people are complaining about the "cartoony" effects--but frankly, some of us (like myself) like this direction. Too many games have their graphics so pumped up, 99% of people can't play it on the best setting, making all other settings look very dated and crappy. However, Blizzard is changing that. When WC3 came out, I could play it on my Power Macintosh 9600 without a problem, and it still looked beautiful. Heck, after a couple of years, it STILL looks great.

As for the shields, that's only common sense! Frankly, I'm surprised nobody else thought of it before the announcement. Both Zerg and Protoss use "hand to hand/psi blade/razor" combat. Having a large, insert-nerdy-sci-fi-metal-here shield would be great defence against a Zerglings or Protoss Zealots.

Guys, put some faith in Blizzard. For the most part, they know what they're doing. And, frankly, you may complain now--but you'll buy it. And you'll end up loving it!
Regards,

Shadowboxer47

iMac G5 20" | 2.0Ghz | 2Gb RAM | 240Gb HD | Tiger

www.macmod.com

#12 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:03 AM

In case you were wondering but were afraid to ask, yes, this is me.

Posted Image
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#13 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:52 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on May 19th 2007, 12:03 PM, said:

In case you were wondering but were afraid to ask, yes, this is me.

Aha...been shopping at Battle Suits R Us, eh?  Nice little shop, just had a sale on cyborg attachment parts too.

Yep, a PPC version would sure be nice!  C'mon, Blizzard, one last hurrah....

--Eric

#14 Cain

Cain

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:44 AM

Came across this little tidbit in an IGN article:

"Blizzard was silent on whether using Battle.net for StarCraft 2 would require a charge or subscription fee. The service will certainly have new features, Blizzard assured the press in the audience, but they weren't willing to get into pricing specifics."  (http://pc.ign.com/ar...0/790158p1.html)

I certainly hope they don't start charging to play on Battle.net. Perhaps all the money they've made from WOW has convinced them people are willing to pay subscription fees for any type of online gameplay. I pray it isn't so.

#15 MajorMatt

MajorMatt

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:54 AM

We can all say with confidence that Starcraft II was started some time ago, Im thinking late 2003, early 2004 and that is probably a late guess. They probably had two years of PPC development even before the intel announcement and the intel announcement predicted a two year transition. So they didnt stop PPC development during the transition thinking the transition would take some time.

I bet there is already enough PPC work done to just keep going. I bet the engine itself is atleast 85% and it'd be foolish for them not to finish the PPC code. WC3 was released 15 months after OSX was released with OS9 support.

I second the last hurrah for the last great PPC game!

#16 rbarris

rbarris

Valve Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:18 PM

View PostMajorMatt, on May 19th 2007, 05:54 PM, said:

We can all say with confidence that Starcraft II was started some time ago, Im thinking late 2003, early 2004 and that is probably a late guess. They probably had two years of PPC development even before the intel announcement and the intel announcement predicted a two year transition. So they didnt stop PPC development during the transition thinking the transition would take some time.

I bet there is already enough PPC work done to just keep going. I bet the engine itself is atleast 85% and it'd be foolish for them not to finish the PPC code. WC3 was released 15 months after OSX was released with OS9 support.

I second the last hurrah for the last great PPC game!

System requirements have not yet been announced.

#17 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:40 PM

Would this be the game that Blizzard licensed to use Havok for on the Mac? I assume so, since nothing else appears to be on the block.

I wonder if Havok is stingy enough to charge two separate licenses for PPC and Intel Mac SDKs.
I Can't Feel My Torso Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#18 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:42 PM

View Postrbarris, on May 19th 2007, 02:18 PM, said:

System requirements have not yet been announced.

Well, at least that's not a "no"....

--Eric

#19 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:12 PM

but it is a "dont get your hopes up"...

im pretty sure that Blizzard wouldve just bought a license for everything... means they could port to the DS and still not have to pay more :P
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#20 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:33 PM

if it does turn out to be a Intel-only game, this maybe the thing to push a good deal of people to bite the bullet and buy a new mac.