dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:47 PM

I just spent a while playing Starcraft's Episode 1 campaign, with my 8 & 5 y/o sons hanging off of each arm.   :D

In this particular scene, I need to destroy the Confederate's base.  So, after I rescue an ally, I begin setting up shop.  I send some wraiths about to scout the enemy.  As a result, I learn a body of water separates us.  At this point, I begin mulling over the best location to assault enmasse.  

My wraiths are lost quickly while scouting alone, and the three locations I used comset looked heavily fortified.  In the end, I chose the southern corner of the Confederates area.  Here, they were collecting gas & minerals on a cul-de-sac, surrounded by cliff walls.  In the vicinity, they kept wraiths and some goliaths (I think).  

Anticipating heavy air losses, I decided to fly in a barracks.  At a 1,000 hit points, I figured I'd have a great chance to destroy the Confederate wraiths from the rear, once they moved on my barracks trying to land by their refinery.   :D

Forgive, I'm new to the game.   :)

Well, it went well.  I was able to move in about 6 fully loaded dropships, with marines, firebats, and vultures.  Later, I brough a couple SCVs to build a few facilities.  I didn't fly in any other buildings, but probably should have to save minerals & gas.

I then razed the Confederates command center that was located in that sector, building my own.  Atm, I'm poised to sweep west, into the fray.

But, I wish I could build some heavy armor units.  Are these techs restricted by the level?

A couple questions:

(1) Does Starcraft have difficulty settings?  If so, I don't see 'em anywhere.
(2) Is there a secret to taking a screenshot?  I know how to, but everyone I grab is just...black - nothing.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#42 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:22 PM

Tech is restricted by level, in the single player campaign, yes.

No, there is no difficulty setting in the campaign.

I've never tried to take a screenshot in SC.

If you have realized that wraiths suck at air-to-ground combat, you have learned something useful.  =)

Ah, but soon you'll be reveling in the glory of ground warfare:  the Terran Siege Tank.

View Postbookman, on May 31st 2007, 09:46 AM, said:

This is why Starcraft is so great - people are going out and buying/installling/discussing a 9 year old game.

The only game that comes close for 3 different sides/strategies IMO in C&C Generals.

Anyone here a Protoss guru? I've played Terran and Zerg a lot, but never got into the Protoss.

I'm not competitive on bnet by any means... but the protoss have lots of ways to crush enemies.   Mass dragoons is a good start.  A high templar or two to make fried bacon out of the enemy, and you basically got it.   A mixture of speed zealots, dragoons, and a templar or two in a shuttle will annihilate most enemy forces.  =)

There's a strategy called "Finger of God" that involves massing carriers, an arbiter, and some upgraded scouts.   The scouts can obliterate other fliers, and the carriers crush the crap out of anything else.  And if you get in trouble, the arbiter fires the scrooch gun, or else warps in a bunch of dragoons..  =)
"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard, and floor it.
Floor it.  That's technical talk."   - SRV

#43 Thinine

Thinine

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:52 AM

I like Protoss because if you're cool, you use a Dark Archon to grab an SCV and a drone from your enemies and then can build any unit you want. Then, you use Arbiters to recall a mass of dragoons and battlecruisers into the middle of the enemy base. And for fun you have a frontal attack of hundreds of zerglings.

Man, I really hope that ability survives in SC2.

#44 Sigma

Sigma

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:33 AM

I think I need to get another mouse for this.  I use the mighty mouse, but alot of the time when i click what's supposed to be the right mouse button it registers as a left mouse click. Makes playing a bit tedious.  Happens when click to close to the middle of the mouse. I think I'll just pick up a standard two button pc mouse for this.

#45 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:07 PM

View PostSigma, on June 1st 2007, 01:33 PM, said:

I think I need to get another mouse for this.  I use the mighty mouse, but alot of the time when i click what's supposed to be the right mouse button it registers as a left mouse click. Makes playing a bit tedious.  Happens when click to close to the middle of the mouse. I think I'll just pick up a standard two button pc mouse for this.

Yep. Though I'm happy they finally recognize the need for a two button mouse, and though the scroll wheel is neat, that thing is in serious need of two actual physical buttons before I'll use it.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#46 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:07 PM

to right click with the mighty mouse, you have to make sure that you raise your left finger... its idiotic at best and couldve been handled a lot better than it was..

may i recommend a decent Logitech mouse? i use the Revolution VX, but the desktop version ( the MX) may suit you better.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#47 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:25 PM

I agree that the mighty mouse is irritatingly difficult to use.

But, I've been using one for about a year now, I play fast games like Unreal Tournament and Starcraft with it, and I can tell you that it is, in fact, possible to learn how to use its right-click consistently, if (like me) you're just too damn cheap or lazy to buy another mouse.

The key is that you can't lay your right finger flat and press near the end of the mouse (which is of course the most natural thing to do).  You have to crook that finger up a bit and press on the right half of the mouse at a spot right next to the scroll ball no further forward then level with the scroll ball.  That will always register a right-click.

#48 morback

morback

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:33 AM

View Postbadger2d, on June 1st 2007, 04:25 PM, said:

I agree that the mighty mouse is irritatingly difficult to use.

But, I've been using one for about a year now, I play fast games like Unreal Tournament and Starcraft with it, and I can tell you that it is, in fact, possible to learn how to use its right-click consistently, if (like me) you're just too damn cheap or lazy to buy another mouse.

The key is that you can't lay your right finger flat and press near the end of the mouse (which is of course the most natural thing to do).  You have to crook that finger up a bit and press on the right half of the mouse at a spot right next to the scroll ball no further forward then level with the scroll ball.  That will always register a right-click.

or press option when you click...

some nice tips for the mighty mouse!

#49 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:21 AM

you mean control click?
"Nothing here but us text"

#50 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:35 PM

Back to Gameplay:

Regarding Terran Mission 6, I've dropped Raynor on the beacon by General Duke's disabled battlecruiser.  But, I don't get the 'Victory' notification.  ???

#51 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:24 PM

View Postdojoboy, on June 2nd 2007, 04:35 PM, said:

Back to Gameplay:

Regarding Terran Mission 6, I've dropped Raynor on the beacon by General Duke's disabled battlecruiser.  But, I don't get the 'Victory' notification.  ???

Did you bring two dropships as well? I think the requirements specifically call for Raynor and two dropships.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#52 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:31 PM

View Postnobody, on June 2nd 2007, 05:24 PM, said:

Did you bring two dropships as well? I think the requirements specifically call for Raynor and two dropships.

Yep, that was it.  I brought some reinforcements in by the Norad II, and the victory triggered.

#53 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:47 PM

View PostJanichsan, on May 31st 2007, 11:00 PM, said:

No chance. StarCraft is limited to 640x480. Hey, it's a game from 1998 - that was regarded as "high res" back then.

800x600, rather :)

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#54 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:43 AM

Enjoying Starcraft.  Good storyline.

Currently playing Terran Mission 7.

Cloaked Confederate wraiths are giving me a real headache.  Is there something other than a turret that can see them?  They're really annoying my advances.

#55 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:04 AM

Science vessels.
And the satelite scan.
Try hot keying the satelite scan to one of your number keys: ( "control - 1" to set, and "1" to recall) this way you can use it at a moments notice.
Just have a few Goliaths with you when ever you go, and if you are under attack, scan the area, and the goliaths will fire upon the (now visible) Wraiths.

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#56 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:10 AM

View PostWSTE_M, on June 3rd 2007, 09:04 AM, said:

Science vessels.
And the satelite scan.
Try hot keying the satelite scan to one of your number keys: ( "control - 1" to set, and "1" to recall) this way you can use it at a moments notice.
Just have a few Goliaths with you when ever you go, and if you are under attack, scan the area, and the goliaths will fire upon the (now visible) Wraiths.

W

Thanks.

#57 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 11:15 PM

Could somebody show me where to download the carbon. I ahve the disc, but I can't play because I'm OS X... ANy help is greatly appreciated!
Mac Tip of the Day is a podcast, blog, archive, e-mail subscription, etc. of for clever mac tip every day!
Also check out Mac Tip of the Day for the Iphone

Click Here and join Gamefly!

Current Comp:
Intel Mac Mini OS 10.4.10
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Correct me if I'm wrong. It happens often.

#58 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:00 AM

Just go right to the Blizzard site. It is under support/starcraft. There is an OS X installer if you haven't installed it yet, or an OS X patch if it is already installed.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#59 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:48 AM

View PostDark_Archon, on June 11th 2007, 02:00 AM, said:

Just go right to the Blizzard site. It is under support/starcraft. There is an OS X installer if you haven't installed it yet, or an OS X patch if it is already installed.

Note: if you have Starcraft + Brood War, you just need the Brood War install. The program prompts you for which one to install, so it might seem that you need to run it twice (once for Starcraft, once for the expansion) but you don't.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#60 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:08 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on June 11th 2007, 12:48 PM, said:

Note: if you have Starcraft + Brood War, you just need the Brood War install.
There is only one StarCraft MacOS X installer.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"