New Blizzard game being announced May 19!

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#41 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:49 PM

View PostJanichsan, on May 3rd 2007, 08:13 AM, said:

WhoIs statement for this page:

That's what I call foresight.
They probably just bought all domain names that have anything remotely to do with them including rumors. I don't think that proves anything.

#42 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:07 AM

View PostMILBOP DIPPLEBERRY, on May 3rd 2007, 11:49 PM, said:

They probably just bought all domain names that have anything remotely to do with them including rumors. I don't think that proves anything.
More or less, what I wanted to point out.

They missed Diablo3.com, though.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#43 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:42 PM

View Postkingarthur_kom, on May 2nd 2007, 11:10 PM, said:

Blizzard has already said it won't be Starcraft.

Not particularly. They just danced around it in a PR non-statement which translates to 'sometime in the future, but we're not telling yet'. Meaning this announcement could just as easily be SC as not, and they're just absolving themselves of any responsibility for whatever rumours might be cooked up.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#44 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:14 PM

No guarantees as to the validity of this article...

http://www.computera...e.php?id=163207

#45 Xavier

Xavier

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:56 PM

I somehow doubt that this new game will be a Starcraft mmo. It is much more likely to be a new style RTS, similar to what has happened to the Warcraft saga over the years.

I would much rather see a Starcraft that is better than Warcraft III than a Starcraft mmo
Moof!

#46 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:27 PM

Hmm.. I also remember reading an article with a Blizzard interview in which teh interwieved said something to the extent that their next game would a more far sighted than just a "World of Starcraft"
Naturally its impossible to find taht article no.. gah.

Then again, who knows... While I wouldent prefer the next game to be World of Starcraft, I could see myself play it... I mean playing as a ghost or firbat would rock.
But in the light of the messsed-up WoW, it would probably be a weak game. With millions of subscribers within one month...

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#47 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:23 AM

View PostMILBOP DIPPLEBERRY, on May 5th 2007, 05:14 PM, said:

No guarantees as to the validity of this article...

http://www.computera...e.php?id=163207

What did I say? World of Starcraft!!  :P

#48 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:47 AM

We'll know soon enough. If it is true it might be the first game to make me hop on the MMO bandwagon... especially now that I'm on broadband. :D
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#49 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:24 AM

There's nothing to say that article is accurate (in fact, their subscriber numbers for WoW are off by 2.5 million, going by numbers Blizzard has stated).  13 days will say one way or another....

--Eric

#50 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:03 AM

View PostHuntn, on May 6th 2007, 03:23 PM, said:

What did I say? World of Starcraft!!  :P
:blarf: I can imagine the quests: kill 2571 Zerglings each on 732 different planets to get a Chrome-Plated Machine Gun of Shinyness.

But just let's stay (slightly) optimistic: what about an MMORTS? That would at least be novel. I wouldn't get it (I'm not paying $15 a month to get my ass kicked by some kiddies without real life), but still...

[EDIT]Phew... Definitely no MMORPG.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#51 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 05:34 AM

Actually, World of Starcraft is not something that sounds very attractive anyway. ;)

#52 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:04 PM

View PostJanichsan, on May 7th 2007, 07:03 AM, said:

[EDIT]Phew... Definitely no MMORPG.

I'm a bit skeptical of an article that was posted almost a year ago.  Unless you were joking with that link, maybe I'm just too tired and didn't catch it. :unsure:

#53 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:24 PM

So, what we've discovered in this thread:
-That Blizzard is making an announcement May 19.
-That it may or may not be an MMO.
-That it could be one of their franchises, but may not be.

Yay!

#54 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:22 PM

No no, we have actual hard information.  Let me quote rbarris:

Wow, it's May already?!
time flies.

See, that's code!  He's telling us what the game is, but naturally doesn't want to get fired, so he has to be circumspect.  Notice the lack of a capital "T" there.  It definitely means something, if we can figure it out....  You'll note that "Starcraft" ends with a lower-case T.  So it's definitely Starcraft, unless of course it's Warcraft.  But Starcraft ALSO has a lower-case T as the second letter!  Aha!  Now we just have to figure out if it's a MMOG or not!

--Eric

#55 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:44 PM

*takes away Eric's sugar stash*
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#56 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:02 PM

View PostEric5h5, on May 7th 2007, 07:22 PM, said:

No no, we have actual hard information.  Let me quote rbarris:
See, that's code!  He's telling us what the game is, but naturally doesn't want to get fired, so he has to be circumspect.  Notice the lack of a capital "T" there.  It definitely means something, if we can figure it out....  You'll note that "Starcraft" ends with a lower-case T.  So it's definitely Starcraft, unless of course it's Warcraft.  But Starcraft ALSO has a lower-case T as the second letter!  Aha!  Now we just have to figure out if it's a MMOG or not!

--Eric
I'm thinking that the new game is going to be a whole new franchise! But what could the new franchise be?  Hmmmm... a pattern emerges! Upon closer examination, Blizzard's franchises seem to all end with the word 'craft' and begin with a word that ends with 'ar'. Starcraft, Warcraft. So let's think of things that could be combined with 'craft' and that end with 'ar'... and the only logical conclusion is...
Barcraft!
A new strategy game based upon drinking! Wahoo! Or perhaps Blizzard will skip the strategy bit and jump right in with an MMODG (massively multiplayer online drinking game) World of Barcraft! Double Wahoo!
Wow, all that thinking gave me a powerful thirst...

#57 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:53 PM

View PostPegasus, on May 7th 2007, 09:44 PM, said:

*takes away Eric's sugar stash*

But...what do I have to live for, now?

View PostRev-O, on May 7th 2007, 10:02 PM, said:

Blizzard's franchises seem to all end with the word 'craft' and begin with a word that ends with 'ar'.

Diablo?  I can't make that fit.  I can try to pronounce it like "Darbloft", but that's just silly.

World of Barcraft!

Meh.  Your lapse in reasoning, detailed above, suggests that your powers of thinking have been impaired by excessive quantities of alcohol.  Next!

--Eric

#58 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:59 PM

View PostEric5h5, on May 7th 2007, 08:53 PM, said:

Meh.  Your lapse in reasoning, detailed above, suggests that your powers of thinking have been impaired by excessive quantities of alcohol.  Next!

--Eric

Nt only haf my powers of reesining been impairt by exzezziv quantititities of alkahall... but udder stuff haz to. If I remememmber in th monring Ill try an remberer what zactly the udder stuff iz!  :blarf:

;)

Hmmm... it could also be ARRRRRRRRcraft, a Pirate game! This would be fun, as the ultimate unit would, of course, be a Parrot. And ninjas would be slain in scores.

#59 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:19 AM

View PostDrizzt, on May 8th 2007, 12:04 AM, said:

I'm a bit skeptical of an article that was posted almost a year ago.  Unless you were joking with that link, maybe I'm just too tired and didn't catch it. :unsure:
Oh, indeed. Sorry. I took this link from another Mac gaming site where they said this would be a denial of the recent rumors of the new game's massively multiplayer online gaminess. I was fooled myself.

#60 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:35 AM

View PostRev-O, on May 7th 2007, 09:02 PM, said:

A new strategy game based upon drinking! Wahoo! Or perhaps Blizzard will skip the strategy bit and jump right in with an MMODG (massively multiplayer online drinking game) World of Barcraft! Double Wahoo!
Wow, all that thinking gave me a powerful thirst...

And include Leisure Suit Larry to chase women (with permission of course)!  :thumbsup: