New Blizzard game being announced May 19!

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#21 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:49 AM

I just hope they don't add in Warcraft 3 style heroes. I loved Warcraft 2, and I loved Starcraft, but I couldn't get into Warcraft 3. As long as they don't have heroes, and they don't lower the population cap, it should be a good game.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#22 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:09 AM

I also hope for an RTS. But I pray for some fresh ideas. If it's just yet-another-standard-RTS-with-some-nice-graphics like almost all over-hyped games of this type in the last time (AoE III, C&C 3), I won't get it.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#23 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:25 AM

WoW is a one of a kind hit. Most of the other MMOs aren't even distantly as successful in fact I wonder how many of them are even making decent money? And it makes me wonder if Blizzard could even repeat this feat with another MMO.

#24 Cain

Cain

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:18 AM

View PostMILBOP DIPPLEBERRY, on April 30th 2007, 12:51 AM, said:

1. Not meeting the expectations of the community. There's such a huge cult following built around the specific units and everything from the original game, the community (especially the Korean community) may reject the game on a large scale in favor of the original. Some of my Starcraft fanatic friends already hate the idea of a new RTS without even knowing anything about it.
I'm not sure where I read this, but someone stated that Blizzard plans to remove the original Starcraft from Battle.net when the sequel is released to ensure its success. Possible?

#25 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:28 AM

That was just one of those meaningless rumors floating around.  Ignore it.  They could but they don't have any reason to.  They didn't remove Diablo I in favor of Diablo II...nor Warcraft II in favor of Warcraft III (nor Reign of Chaos in favor of Frozen Throne)...etc....

--Eric

#26 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:30 AM

That was just a rumor, and it is very doubtful that it will happen. As it is, Blizzard still supports every game it released since Diablo. It's a very unlikely scenario, to say the least.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#27 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:48 AM

View PostCain, on April 30th 2007, 01:18 PM, said:

I'm not sure where I read this, but someone stated that Blizzard plans to remove the original Starcraft from Battle.net when the sequel is released to ensure its success. Possible?

Seems like fear-mongering to me. How many games (including a sequel) have been released since the original Diablo? And yet it's still online.

I suppose one day they'll be forced to stop supporting one or more old games. But it hasn't happened yet. And the time for them to do it would be when something like OS X, Intel Macs, or Vista comes out. All they'd have to do is stop updating the games, and eventually the market for them would shrink and they could close down the networking with little outcry. This may have started with Diablo (1) which hasn't been patched for a while but even so it's currently still supported on Battle.net. Meanwhile Starcraft is about to be patched yet again...

Bottom line: I see them diminishing support for Starcraft 1 over time, but I don't see them pulling a stunt like shutting it off abruptly if a new one comes out. It's still a money-maker for them, and the new one will most likely be profitable regardless, so why risk pissing off the existing Starcraft players in order to make some short-term profits with the new one.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#28 halprin

halprin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:40 AM

Common guys...  Blizzard is not stupid.  They are not going to release World of Starcraft.  That would devour their World of Warcraft sails and subscriptions.  This is simple business tactics here...

#29 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:54 AM

View PostJanichsan, on April 30th 2007, 12:09 PM, said:

I also hope for an RTS. But I pray for some fresh ideas. If it's just yet-another-standard-RTS-with-some-nice-graphics like almost all over-hyped games of this type in the last time (AoE III, C&C 3), I won't get it.

I hear that! I would really want a good RTS withOUT the bombastic graphics of AoE 3 / C&C 3 and instead with some more tactics.
But I feer that Blizzard will go the way of Warcaft III

Oh, and WoW is a terrible game. I know that ther are a few millions of people who would love to prove me wrong, but they have no idea of what a good game should be ;)

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#30 rbarris

rbarris

Valve Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:43 AM

Wow, it's May already?!
time flies.

#31 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:16 PM

View PostWSTE_M, on May 1st 2007, 10:54 AM, said:

Oh, and WoW is a terrible game. I know that ther are a few millions of people who would love to prove me wrong, but they have no idea of what a good game should be ;)

Multitudes know of WoW's short comings. I do. But for millions, the good out weighs the bad until they can find a better MMO. Have you seen any? :)

#32 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:33 PM

View PostEric5h5, on April 28th 2007, 10:55 AM, said:

As for the "new MMOG", they just started looking for people to work on it, so I wouldn't expect that for years.
Havok is physics, not graphics....

--Eric
DOH! I meant that. :blush:
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#33 awarlock

awarlock

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:42 PM

It would make sense for Blizzard to come out with "Starcraft Universe" as I would think it could be called.  For those people that never got hooked on the fantasy aspects of "World of Warcraft" maybe Blizzard could hook some sci-fi fans with an on-line game that revolved around the Starcraft universe.

Imagine being able to travel between planets, solar systems, and galaxies, landing on these planets, completing quests.  I also could imagine everyone being able to construct some type of spaceship to travel between these planets, etc.   Some players may build transport vehicles, while other would build exploration vehicles and others dreadnaughts for battles.

Imagine being able to form a raid group or armada and having intense online space battles in the same sense as Alterac Valley in WOW or Warsong, etc.

Why wouldn't Blizzard want to make another $110 million a month if they could round up the same number of subscribers that they have with WOW.  I've been playing WOW for 2 years now and would sign up for Starcraft online in a heartbeat.

#34 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:42 PM

View Postrbarris, on May 1st 2007, 09:43 AM, said:

Wow, it's May already?!
time flies.
Hey you, quiet!  Can't you tell we're trying to have an intelligent conversation about Blizzard?  ;)
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#35 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:26 AM

Soon.
"You call *this* archaeology?" Professor Henry Jones

#36 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:25 PM

View PostHuntn, on May 2nd 2007, 06:16 AM, said:

Multitudes know of WoW's short comings. I do. But for millions, the good out weighs the bad until they can find a better MMO. Have you seen any? :)
Only Uru Live, but it's so different that it's not even comparable.

#37 kingarthur_kom

kingarthur_kom

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:10 PM

Blizzard has already said it won't be Starcraft.

#38 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:36 AM

Bets on RPG vs MMO?

#39 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:49 AM

www.starcraft2.com

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#40 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:13 AM

View PostWSTE_M, on May 3rd 2007, 02:49 PM, said:

www.starcraft2.com

W
WhoIs statement for this page:

Registrant:
Blizzard Entertainment
P.O. Box 18979
Irvine, California 92623
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: STARCRAFT2.COM
Created on: 24-Sep-99
Expires on: 31-Jan-08
Last Updated on: 28-Sep-05
That's what I call foresight.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"