Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:08 AM

View PostMorrigan, on April 23rd 2007, 02:22 PM, said:

I haven't tried it yet, but can anything (like battleships) attack ground installations or is it nukes-only to take those out?
As far as I get that, ground installations can only be nuked.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#42 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:10 AM

yes. its just nukes. saves having to have different types of weapons, and so simplifies the game.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#43 fabforrest

fabforrest

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:13 PM

geez, i'm feelin' stupido.  i can't get past the sub part of the tutorial.  when your fleets detects subs, are you supposed to launch aircraft at them or what?

also, is there a way to turn off the background music.  sound effects are ok, but that drone is driving me nutz.

#44 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:18 PM

View Postfabforrest, on April 23rd 2007, 01:13 PM, said:

geez, i'm feelin' stupido.  i can't get past the sub part of the tutorial.  when your fleets detects subs, are you supposed to launch aircraft at them or what?

also, is there a way to turn off the background music.  sound effects are ok, but that drone is driving me nutz.
When you encounter the subs, right click your carriers and click anti-sub mode and they'll depth charge the subs.

#45 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:35 PM

View Postfabforrest, on April 23rd 2007, 01:13 PM, said:

geez, i'm feelin' stupido
Did TBC give you permission or did you just cop a feel?

#46 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:45 PM

Don't ask, don't tell!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#47 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:15 PM

View PostMILBOP DIPPLEBERRY, on April 23rd 2007, 01:18 PM, said:

When you encounter the subs, right click your carriers and click anti-sub mode and they'll depth charge the subs.

That's if you still have a fleet. All most every game, my fleet ends up in a pitched battle and I end up with very little if any fleet left. The enemy surface fleet is wiped too.

Yesterday I picked the "join game" option while online, and no servers appeared. As anyone had better luck?

#48 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:26 PM

View PostHuntn, on April 24th 2007, 09:15 PM, said:

That's if you still have a fleet. All most every game, my fleet ends up in a pitched battle and I end up with very little if any fleet left. The enemy surface fleet is wiped too.

Yesterday I picked the "join game" option while online, and no servers appeared. As anyone had better luck?
Hmm, there's usually a bunch of servers for me even late at night, though most of them are one person vs. a comp. Might be a connection problem on your end.

#49 SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:50 PM

View PostHuntn, on April 24th 2007, 10:15 PM, said:

I've been able to do a lot better against the AI by keeping my battleships bunched up in a line in front of my carriers, and scrambling aircraft in a swarm overhead as soon as an enemy ship is sighted.  Also, I've gotten better at remembering to launch bombers from nearby airbases to help out in the naval battle.

The one thing I can't stand about the game is that fighter units will suicidally chase after enemy targets until their fuel runs out and they crash.  It would be nice if they could automatically return to base when they hit "bingo fuel" unless you specifically override them.  It feels like too much micromanaging for me to monitor each fighter's fuel.  As it stands, my carriers never have any fighters left by the middle of the game.

#50 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:55 PM

couldnt agree more about the fighters returning to base thing.

they should have a max distance and a max survivable distance circle in addition to what they already have.
i do like how bombers and fighters will return to the closest base when theyre done though... that is a clever touch.

Huntn, sounds like a connection problem to me too... the manual says that you should try going to the network options in defcon and set the port numbers to 0, which tells it to choose any available port. aside from that, you should open ports 5010, 5011, 5000 and 5001 on UDP for the game server, game client and the last two as the meta server respectively.

to get at the manual, either go to it through the game or open the app package and go to defcon>contents>resources>Defcon user manual.pdf

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#51 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:53 AM

A wish list of things I would like to see in Defcon, in no particular order and with no thought of balance issues ;)

Civil Defense for cities either as bomb shelters or evacuations in order to lessen casualities. Nothing really effective, mind you, but just a slight reduction if the player wants to take the time to micromanage population centers in addition to everything else. Make it time limited, etc, so the payer would have to time the civil defense action.
Be able to put population centers in a production mode or a defense mode during Defcon 1. Defense mode would be the above mentioned Civil Defense stuff. Production mode would allow the population to build more nukes for silos (or units, but that starts getting complicated), but would leave the population more vulnerable to nukes. Increased casualities with a little bit of nuke production. This way the player could shift population getting hammered into defense mode to try a limit casualities and use distant population centers to slowly replenish nukes.

Aegis Missle Cruisers as another naval unit. A mobile sea based air defense platform. Maybe give it a couple of nukes the same range as a sub.
Stealth Bombers that only show up on Radar when they drop a nuke. These would have to be very limited, like one per airbase or one per player.

Satellite reconnaissance. Space based radar, very small veiwing area or very slow to move. Only usable in defcon 5 and 4.

I dunno if the full version has a provision for this, but I'd like to have the choice to play the game until extinction. Give me a way to replenish nukes and keep bombing until a population center no longer exists. Put a marker on the map where a city used to be for a bit of graphic goodness. Gi.ve me a persistent glow on the map to indicate radiation and fallout. Also give me more detailed game stats at the end. I want to know how many people got nuked on a city by city basis, maybe a survival percentage on a city by city basis. A success rate of intercepting nukes, a number of fighters and bombers shut down, numbers of naval units sunk, etc.

I realize too much of this stuff would start making Defcon an RTS which goes counter to it's concept. I like the simplicity of Defcon, I just want a smidgen more ways to destroy the world.

#52 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:43 PM

i dont think any of those ideas would really work in a way that would keep the gameplay feeling like it does now...

youll be pleased to hear, however, that DEFCON is pretty mod-able... so get to it!

#53 Prophet_Magnetic

Prophet_Magnetic

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:46 PM

View Postteflon, on April 29th 2007, 08:43 PM, said:

i dont think any of those ideas would really work in a way that would keep the gameplay feeling like it does now...

youll be pleased to hear, however, that DEFCON is pretty mod-able... so get to it!

Sadly it's only the world map and icons you can edit. The game script and basis can't be moddified.

#54 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:41 PM

View Postteflon, on April 29th 2007, 12:43 PM, said:

Not trying to be snotty, but I wouldn't plunk down $25 to get a game so I could modify it into the game I'd like to have purchased ;) but I agree mostly with you. The charm of Defcon is it's simplicity. But as I wouldn't play it online, this is a game that I would be done playing in about a month. Afte playing some massive nukefests against the AI, I'm not seeing much variety. My suggies were things that would keep me (personally) playing the game longer. Anyrate, there is a fair chance I will buy the full version, because it is a hoot to play!

#55 Prophet_Magnetic

Prophet_Magnetic

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:33 PM

View PostRev-O, on April 29th 2007, 09:41 PM, said:

Not trying to be snotty, but I wouldn't plunk down $25 to get a game so I could modify it into the game I'd like to have purchased ;) but I agree mostly with you. The charm of Defcon is it's simplicity. But as I wouldn't play it online, this is a game that I would be done playing in about a month. Afte playing some massive nukefests against the AI, I'm not seeing much variety. My suggies were things that would keep me (personally) playing the game longer. Anyrate, there is a fair chance I will buy the full version, because it is a hoot to play!

The game is online based, and the true charm in the game is when you play online. It has never been ment to have good singleplayer.

#56 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:19 PM

uh... yeah it was... and it does.
its just that the AI is predictable because they didnt have a massive amount of time to spend coding ridiculously complicated AI... but on a 5AI free for all, things can still be very very challenging.

and anyway, havent you heard that single player against bots is more popular than net play?

#57 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:02 PM

Yah, and for all my recreational complaining I bought the full game and have a blast ;) playing it.
Single player, of course! Anyone know if there is anyway to disable the whole Online portion of it? I fire it up and have to go manually set the spectators to zero and whatnot. I suppose I could turn off Airport before launching it, or maybe break down and rtm. I'd also like to be able to save the names of my bot opponents so I don't have to type in 5 names of evil gods every time I play.

#58 Prophet_Magnetic

Prophet_Magnetic

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:59 AM

Don't forget to include Santa Claus, he is clearly abusing his elf slaves.

I really hope IV will make scrip editing possible in the future, creating your own units would be a nice bonus.

#59 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:49 PM

I really have issues with stuff in the game. I want a globe instead of a Mercator Projection, I want more units, I want a way to deplete populations prior to nukes (Like Propaganda in Nuclear War and Nuclear Escalation), I want a bunch of stuff.
But it's $25. And seriously fun. And you get to kill millions of people. :)
Maybe Defcon 2 will add some of this stuff, but until then I'll enjoy this one and  :nuke:

#60 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:04 AM

The game looks nice, but it doesent look finished. Or if someone had taken a step back and thought the game through.

I mean, like, why do nukes curve in flight ? Its not realitic compared to the earth's curve, its just for the looks, and its stupid, because they fly longer as they curve, and therefore are easier to shot down.
Why is there no AI for the friendly units ? Why cant I program my fighters to guard my borders, or subs to guard my waters ? Am I as president (or dictator...) supposed to manage EACH AND EVERY AIRPLANE, SUBMARINE AND SHIP OF AN ENTIRE GLOBAL THERMONUCLEAR WAR ??? Where are my Generals, where are their Colonels ? Why dident anyone think of having to have a secret command base, which could also be THE key target of the game ? strike that, and you opponent's armies are standing still....

And finally, there are too few units. I need mobile ICBM /IRBM launchers (like Pershings, SS-20) Cruise missiles, attack subs, AWACS planes, spy satelites...
Then we can have a war.

Disapointing. :(

Just give me to coders and one animator/artist, and you could have a game that could blow you pants off... [/mumble]

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994