#21 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:10 PM

View PostPegasus, on April 21st 2007, 12:40 PM, said:

NME? What a retarded way to shorten enemy, which is only two letters longer.
Wait wait wait.  Don't be calling Huntn retarded, or does the game call enemies "NME"?  It's OK to be bashing games, but please, take it easy on each other.  K?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#22 Siriusfox

Siriusfox

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Steam Name:opensiriusfox

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:03 PM

View PostMILBOP DIPPLEBERRY, on April 21st 2007, 10:17 AM, said:

Wow, this really turns into a blood bath when the enemy country is right next to you.
In Nuclear War you've got to get your hair mucked up a little. ;)
20'' iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 10.6.5, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI X1600

"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." -Doug Larson

#23 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:37 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on April 21st 2007, 03:10 PM, said:

Wait wait wait.  Don't be calling Huntn retarded, or does the game call enemies "NME"?  It's OK to be bashing games, but please, take it easy on each other.  K?
K?!?!??!? What a retarded way to shorten OK!! Retard!

#24 DoctorGonzo

DoctorGonzo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:58 PM

I'm absolutely loving this game.

A word of advice to new players. If you don't normally play through tutorials (and who does, really?) make an exception in the case of DEFCON. You will be so glad you did.

#25 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:45 PM

View PostMorrigan, on April 21st 2007, 08:37 PM, said:

K?!?!??!? What a retarded way to shorten OK!! Retard!

No no no...he was just misspelling "¿Qué?"  That's not so bad.

View PostDoctorGonzo, on April 21st 2007, 08:58 PM, said:

If you don't normally play through tutorials (and who does, really?)

Wait a minute.  First we don't read manuals, now we don't even play through tutorials?  What's next, letting the game just play itself?  :)

Anyway, nice to have a new Mac game released with so few complaints, for a change.  Guess I'll have to check it out....

--Eric

#26 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:08 PM

View PostSiriusfox, on April 21st 2007, 06:03 PM, said:

In Nuclear War you've got to get your hair mucked up a little. ;)
But more than usual when your silos are like three inches apart.

#27 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:28 AM

This game makes me feel guilty in a good way. DEFON 1 is declared and I'm engulfing Russia in nuclear inferno, and there's a sound effect of a woman crying in the background.

The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that I'm protecting America's precious bodily fluids. YEEEEE-HAAAAW!

#28 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:49 AM

View PostSternum, on April 22nd 2007, 07:28 AM, said:

America's precious bodily fluids. YEEEEE-HAAAAW!

i dont think i want to know...  :blink:
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#29 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:34 AM

View PostMILBOP DIPPLEBERRY, on April 21st 2007, 10:08 PM, said:

But more than usual when your silos are like three inches apart.
That's exactly why I hate owing a country where a Silo Owners Association is micromanaging you.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#30 fabforrest

fabforrest

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:55 AM

View Postteflon, on April 22nd 2007, 07:49 AM, said:

i dont think i want to know...  :blink:

the reference is dr. strangeove.

#31 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:01 PM

View Postfabforrest, on April 22nd 2007, 09:55 AM, said:

the reference is dr. strangeove.

Outstanding cinema...
"Your going to have to answer to the Coca Cola Company!"
"Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?"

NME, NME, NMEs all around. ;) It's fun and so far I've got a .50 batting average. Either I'm kicking serious be-hind or the reverse. My best game was .2 million of mine vaporated versus 90 million of theirs. Hehe. I think it's the learning curve. I've learned it pays to be patient.

The NMEs silo system is a tough nut to crack when it's in the ABM/AA mode. Is there a way to overwhelm the silo system by multiple simo shots? Is there a way to do simo shots? Or must you go to each silo and individually target (as I do) and hope enough arrive at the same time to inundate the NME? In most games, I'm very predictable. I wait for the NME to convert to BM mode and then wack their silos with my ballistic subs (just like the tutorial says.) ;) My AA silos shoot down most of the inbound missles and when all the NME silos are destroyed, I convert my silos to ballistic missles and pelt NME cities. The thing is, it's computer A.I.. I suspect games against real people would be very interesting. Maybe I'll have the courage in the near future to face them. :P

One thing I don't think is realistic (I know, I know realism is not a requirement.) is the required spacing between land units. But I acknowledge like other strategy games, strategic situations are usually simplified for the purpose of gaming. The result is you have to be very mindful of unit placement to make sure they all fit.

And secondly a AA silo located in central Russia is not going to hit aircraft out over the Artic Ocean attacking boats... is it? The physical distance looks like 1000-1500 miles. This is a feature of the game that could stand some tweaking imo.

#32 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:25 PM

your best bet to take out silos is with your fleets. get them up to the enemies coast line, and then hit 1 to slow down time and micromanage the near simultaneous launch of bombers so that it comes in a single wave.

also, just waiting till they launch their nukes so you know where they are and then getting your subs to suddenly appear and take the silos out.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#33 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:39 PM

View Postteflon, on April 22nd 2007, 01:25 PM, said:

your best bet to take out silos is with your fleets. get them up to the enemies coast line, and then hit 1 to slow down time and micromanage the near simultaneous launch of bombers so that it comes in a single wave.

also, just waiting till they launch their nukes so you know where they are and then getting your subs to suddenly appear and take the silos out.

So it's wait and see who converts silos to nuc launch first! But there has to be another approach.  :cool:

#34 SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:52 PM

Is scrolling speed supposed to be affected by game speed?  I'm trying to figure out if that's the reason why scrolling feels sluggish for me in "1" speed when lots of firefights start breaking out, or if my computer is just slow.  You wouldn't think it would be a very demanding game.  I'm on a 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4.

But it's an awesome game.  I'll have to check out the difficulty options.  I just slaughtered the AI and suffered 0 casualties!   :ph34r:

#35 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:03 PM

View PostSpaceMonkey, on April 22nd 2007, 01:52 PM, said:

Is scrolling speed supposed to be affected by game speed?  I'm trying to figure out if that's the reason why scrolling feels sluggish for me in "1" speed when lots of firefights start breaking out, or if my computer is just slow.  You wouldn't think it would be a very demanding game.  I'm on a 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4.

But it's an awesome game.  I'll have to check out the difficulty options.  I just slaughtered the AI and suffered 0 casualties!   :ph34r:

I'm on the same pb hardware (I think) and I notice no difference in map scroll speed dependent on game speed. It scrolls good all the time.

#36 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:05 PM

View PostSpaceMonkey, on April 22nd 2007, 08:52 PM, said:

Could be at least partly your computer, but then I noticed on my 2.0 GHz MBP something similar: on speed setting 1, when there are a lot of missiles, planes and shots around, there's a noticable slowdown sometimes. Since this only on "1", I suspect a bug.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#37 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:56 PM

i think that 2 is actually the "real speed" of the game, and that for some reason the engine chugs like heck when its faced with halving the speed to 1...

also, it feels like the more youre zoomed in, the slower it gets too.

#38 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:43 PM

A question about bombers.  At defcon 3, when you can launch bombers from carriers and land bases, do they attack with 'conventional' weapons vs ships and installations until defcon 1?

#39 SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:06 PM

View PostRanger_Joe, on April 23rd 2007, 12:43 AM, said:

A question about bombers.  At defcon 3, when you can launch bombers from carriers and land bases, do they attack with 'conventional' weapons vs ships and installations until defcon 1?

Yes versus ships, no versus installations.

#40 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:22 AM

I haven't tried it yet, but can anything (like battleships) attack ground installations or is it nukes-only to take those out?