#1 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:03 PM

Ambrosia just released their nukes...

mutual thermonuclear destruction here i come!
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#2 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:10 PM

Downloading!

#3 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:46 PM

great game...

its quicker feeling than i expected, and its more difficult to get the nukes through than youd think.. a bonus for you as well as a down side.
also, i just jumped straight in and played, so i didnt have the foggiest... but what the heck, i had a good time, and won... against a single AI of indeterminate difficulty..

just as soon as i get the chance, ill be buying this :)

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#4 fabforrest

fabforrest

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:00 PM

View Postteflon, on April 19th 2007, 03:46 PM, said:

great game...

its quicker feeling than i expected, and its more difficult to get the nukes through than youd think.. a bonus for you as well as a down side.
also, i just jumped straight in and played, so i didnt have the foggiest... but what the heck, i had a good time, and won... against a single AI of indeterminate difficulty..

just as soon as i get the chance, ill be buying this :)

i just downloaded the demo.  have not played yet.  got part way through the tutorial.  looks pretty good, especially the alliances dealeo...

#5 Muriac

Muriac

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:09 PM

Has anyone else had trouble with right-click not working? I'm using a Microsoft Intellimouse, and right-click just registers as a left-click.

#6 Siriusfox

Siriusfox

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Steam Name:opensiriusfox

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:53 PM

Right click on both of my mice works fine. MightyMouse and Logitech.
20'' iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 10.6.5, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI X1600

"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." -Doug Larson

#7 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:36 AM

sweet game! I've played a couple against the AI plus the tutorial. I'm still not sure how some things like carriers and battleships are best used. I watched someone else play last night, a guy named Samurai, and he just mopped up with his fleets. Still trying to figure out how he did certain things... like he launcheda bout a dozen bombers from his carriers and apparently sent them all to an out-of-combat area to form up, then attacked his opponent's ships with them all in one very tight wave, it was devastating. I've not been able to control my units that tightly.

#8 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:10 AM

ive played against that single AI a couple of times now, and ive not yet lost, but thats not the point. The point is about fleets.

it always seems like you have to throw all your fighters into the fray as quickly as you possibly can, get your battleships in between your carriers and their fleets. and dont be afraid to use a couple of your subs, because the AI doesnt, and doesnt counter them at all.
also, chuck a bunch of fighters from ground bases in there too...

ive no idea about the micromanaged control of bombers yet either...

oh, and dont forget to slow down time either, that helps a lot.

i quite like trying to synchronise an overwhelming barrage of missiles so that they cant counter them...

#9 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:58 AM

The AI does too use subs. Just ramp up the difficulty level.

As for the bombers, all you need to do is select them from the carriers and target cities/sites to nuke and they'll be flying off trying to bomb them. Best time to use them is when your opponent is about to launch. Probably doesn't hurt to send a couple of fighters out with them to distract your enemy's air force.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:56 PM

Anyone already read the manual? You should - it's excellent. Very sarcastic.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#11 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:46 PM

yup. i love that Jammie Dodgers made it into the essential survival equipment.

#12 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:02 PM

I played through the tutorial and was just massacred in my first multiplayer game.  Loads of fun.

#13 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:29 PM

View PostMuriac, on April 19th 2007, 09:09 PM, said:

Has anyone else had trouble with right-click not working? I'm using a Microsoft Intellimouse, and right-click just registers as a left-click.

The Intellimouse control panel lets you program keys for specific applications. If the right click does not work in the game, possibly go into the game and change the key for right click (if one is offered) and then program your Intellimouse for the key you programmed in the game as your right click key.

#14 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:27 AM

I seem to do well at the beginning of the nuclear attack when I'm just using planes and subs, but I always end up getting pawned when we both launch our silo missiles, and barely any of mine get through.

#15 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:42 AM

View PostPegasus, on April 20th 2007, 10:58 AM, said:

The AI does too use subs. Just ramp up the difficulty level.

As for the bombers, all you need to do is select them from the carriers and target cities/sites to nuke and they'll be flying off trying to bomb them. Best time to use them is when your opponent is about to launch. Probably doesn't hurt to send a couple of fighters out with them to distract your enemy's air force.
Um yeah, but that wasn't the question about bombers. Samurai was using them in fleet engagements (where if you are not careful you can lose them all in a hurry to fighters) very effectively and syncronized tightly. Quite a lot more skillful use there than sending them after the largest cities.

I've found that just tossing nukes, from bombers, subs, or silos, isn't very effective unless you really concentrate your strikes or get in there and disable some silos and/or airbases first.

#16 Thinine

Thinine

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:29 AM

Just finished a game against the computer. I was Europe, they were the USSR. AI doesn't know what to do with all that land. :D Final score was 191 to -96, and I killed 96m people while losing just .2m (and that was to collateral damage).

I should observe a big game some time.

#17 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:02 AM

Europe is a good one to play, cos its really small and so you can get a large concentration of silos together to defend... it does have disadvantages though, but i cant remember what they are...

i gonna register soon as i get my mum on the phone next (i dont have the right type of card, but she does) and get to grips with bigger games.

#18 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:17 AM

Wow, this really turns into a blood bath when the enemy country is right next to you.

#19 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:45 AM

I recommend the tutorials if you've not done them as they illustrate basic concepts well.

I played one game and got wooped by the A.I. It was me in the U.S vs them in Africa. My subs stationed off Africa with the intent of hitting their silos as they started to pop. My fleet went out to meet the NME, but they got pounded, not sure why. I had some bombers and some flighters. Once my fleet sank, I realized that my silos were vulnerable from NME subs so I shot them all off. Many got through but not enough. No NME subs were seen in this encounter. Will have to give it another go today. :)

View PostMILBOP DIPPLEBERRY, on April 21st 2007, 04:27 AM, said:

I seem to do well at the beginning of the nuclear attack when I'm just using planes and subs, but I always end up getting pawned when we both launch our silo missiles, and barely any of mine get through.

Was your battle land based or was there an ocean between them? Just curious.

#20 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:40 PM

NME? What a retarded way to shorten enemy, which is only two letters longer.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.