7 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:44 AM

Hookedgamers has posted a preview of Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, the upcoming expansion for the popular turn based strategy title. The expansion will focus on increasing the play value in the late game after the introduction of gunpoweder. A variety of new scenarios, units, leaders, and gameplay improvements will be available for players to enjoy.

One concept in Civilization IV that fell behind from my expectations was espionage. Whereas you could do real damage to the enemy with your spies in the earlier incarnations, the only real use I ever found for spies in Civ IV was to use them to destroy the enemy's production of their space ship. And even this didn't come up that often, since I preferred to finish my enemies off at a much earlier stage the spies simply appeared too late into the game. Now, with the coming expansion the civilizations can develop their espionage capabilities at an earlier stage, allowing them to gain intelligence, sabotage structures, poison water supplies, cause rebellions, and, as the fellows at Firaxis say: much more.

Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword will include a new feature which is apparently a major fan request. Apparently, many gamers prefer to skip the most exciting part of the game (exploring the world and placing your cities) and go straight into the later stages. Now this will be possible as you can 'buy' components in order to build your empire to your liking and start the game at a later stage.

The expansion will also tweak the victory conditions of the basic game. The United Nations will become available earlier in the form of the Apostolic Palace, allowing for an earlier diplomatic victory. Likewise, there will be new resolutions that you can pass in order to make life more difficult for the other players. In the same vein, the Space Victory will be expanded and this victory condition "will now require more strategic planning and tactical decision making."
There is no official word yet on the possibility of a Mac version. Keep an eye on IMG for more information.

The rest of the preview is available at the link below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3461 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:51 AM

View PostIMG News, on April 6th 2007, 08:44 AM, said:

Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword will include a new feature which is apparently a major fan request. Apparently, many gamers prefer to skip the most exciting part of the game (exploring the world and placing your cities) and go straight into the later stages. Now this will be possible as you can 'buy' components in order to build your empire to your liking and start the game at a later stage.

I don't recall ever reading someone asking for this.  The idea of buying components edges toward AOE3's home city, kind of.  Maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist to enjoy, let alone play, this way.  I would think that what you could buy is balanced with the difficulty rating.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#3 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1526 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:02 AM

View Postdojoboy, on April 6th 2007, 12:51 PM, said:

I don't recall ever reading someone asking for this.  The idea of buying components edges toward AOE3's home city, kind of.  Maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist to enjoy, let alone play, this way.  I would think that what you could buy is balanced with the difficulty rating.

I agree. I even prefer the beginning of the game, exploring the terrain and building cities. Towards the end of the game, there are too many units and things to keep track of, and my head explodes.

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3943 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:05 PM

View PostCougar, on April 6th 2007, 05:02 PM, said:

I agree. I even prefer the beginning of the game, exploring the terrain and building cities. Towards the end of the game, there are too many units and things to keep track of, and my head explodes.
Exactly. Must be 12 year old teenagers, that just want nukes that has requested this...

But nice to hear about the spies - Now they are just about useless! :)
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#5 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:46 PM

Just to add on.  I'd have to agree with the above posters.  The exploration portion of the game is my favorite.  If any part of the game needs improvement it is the mid/late period  when the various nations become 'settled' in their space.

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:38 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on April 6th 2007, 11:05 AM, said:

Exactly. Must be 12 year old teenagers, that just want nukes that has requested this...
I blame the 79 year old octogenarians!  You see, I watch all the cartoons... old = evil.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1216 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:15 AM

View PostCougar, on April 6th 2007, 10:02 AM, said:

:)
I find myself playing custom games on a huge map against only a couple random AI opponents. That way I can explore and expand! Starting the game later on = feature I will never use.

#8 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:09 AM

Agreed. I like the beginning of the game far more than the end.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau