#41 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:05 AM

View Postarchermitch, on April 7th 2007, 02:45 AM, said:

I'm not upgrading. I'm getting a Mac Mini soon. :)

Yes the screensaver folds proteins.

When I look at my stats online there seems to be no information. I have no working units, no progress, no nothin' Any tips?
Umm, I downloaded the screensaver too. But, I'm not using it now. I'm going by the efficient instructions from the website to use the username screen saver; It uses less CPU power. But, I don't know how fast your tower is, but you may want to select "no deadlines" in the settings if you have 1 GHz or less. For a wee bit slower Mac that is.

The folding of proteins with my experience so far is, it takes a while to even get 1%. I've currently got 2% done. It's taking from around 50% - 80% CPU power. Real memory is 9.90 MB and Virtual memory is 40.59 MB
CPU time for it is currently 1:58:20.
*Also, you should run repair permissions from disk utility on your HD after installing new programs and screensavers too.* Helps most of the time. I just had to zap my PRAM earlier also. Something wasn't quite right. Everything was taking forever. But, this was before I installed Folding@home. I'm on team 1971!

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#42 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:46 AM

View Postyo-mike, on April 7th 2007, 04:05 AM, said:

*Also, you should run repair permissions from disk utility on your HD after installing new programs and screensavers too.* Helps most of the time.

Not really...I've never done that, and there is no need.  Doesn't hurt, but it's a waste of time....

--Eric

#43 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:22 AM

efficiency instructions? I'm intrigued...

Edit: Hey I've got 11%! And my stats were so small before I just couldn't see them!

Reedit: My Unit Statistics work, but not my personal or team statistics... :(
Mac Tip of the Day is a podcast, blog, archive, e-mail subscription, etc. of for clever mac tip every day!
Also check out Mac Tip of the Day for the Iphone

Click Here and join Gamefly!

Current Comp:
Intel Mac Mini OS 10.4.10
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Correct me if I'm wrong. It happens often.

#44 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:44 PM

View PostEric5h5, on April 7th 2007, 11:46 AM, said:

Not really...I've never done that, and there is no need.  Doesn't hurt, but it's a waste of time....

--Eric
Yeah? Well, thats not what I've learned from reading my OS 10.3 manuals.
I've never thought of it as a waste of time, nearly 90% of the time after I install a new program and something doesn't work quite right after the installation and I run repar permissions, there's results of what got corrected/repaired..

::yo-mike grabs Eric5h5 by the scruff of his neck and kindly gives him 3 affectionate swift swats::
:::Eric5h5 scampers across the slippery floor sliding all over the place with his tail between his legs, makes his way to behind the sofa and peers out from under it with his ears set back to see if yo-mike is heading his way::::
-It's OK Eric, I'm finshed swatting you.

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#45 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:58 PM

View Postyo-mike, on April 7th 2007, 03:44 PM, said:

I've never thought of it as a waste of time,

I would have to agree. I've ran permissions repair many times on peoples computers, and it has fixed what ever weird problem they had. One guy could not drag and icons on the desktop, it was a real weird problem I've never seen it before. So, I ran permissions repair rebooted, and it worked.

I only run permissions repair when I think there is a problem.
Tortillas are sleeping bags for ground beef.

#46 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:02 PM

once a serious bug happened where I couldn't access applications. Without applications I couldn't fix the problem. Luckily my dad had an account and ran permissions and found lots and lots of bugs. :l
Mac Tip of the Day is a podcast, blog, archive, e-mail subscription, etc. of for clever mac tip every day!
Also check out Mac Tip of the Day for the Iphone

Click Here and join Gamefly!

Current Comp:
Intel Mac Mini OS 10.4.10
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Correct me if I'm wrong. It happens often.

#47 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:13 PM

View Postyo-mike, on April 7th 2007, 04:44 PM, said:

Yeah? Well, thats not what I've learned from reading my OS 10.3 manuals.

You're still on 10.3?  I'm on 10.4.  

nearly 90% of the time after I install a new program and something doesn't work quite right after the installation and I run repar permissions, there's results of what got corrected/repaired..

A lot of those results are standard, and nothing is actually being "fixed."  Disk Utility in 10.4 changed some of that, so you don't see as many messages.  I never actually run it these days, because it's not necessary in most cases.  Mostly it's the placebo effect.  Because "repair permissions" somehow ended up as a legendary "fix everything" solution in some people's minds...even though it doesn't....

--Eric

#48 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:51 PM

View PostEric5h5, on April 7th 2007, 07:13 PM, said:

You're still on 10.3?  I'm on 10.4.  
A lot of those results are standard, and nothing is actually being "fixed."  Disk Utility in 10.4 changed some of that, so you don't see as many messages.  I never actually run it these days, because it's not necessary in most cases.  Mostly it's the placebo effect.  Because "repair permissions" somehow ended up as a legendary "fix everything" solution in some people's minds...even though it doesn't....

--Eric
Hi Eric,
I'll just have to agree to disagree with your summary of OS 10.3 maintenance in a nutshell, and agree with experience, documentation by authors, and archermitch and Maestro.
Some links..MacDevCntr
and a very Helpfull website I've enjoyed for some time now.

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#49 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:16 AM

View Postyo-mike, on April 9th 2007, 01:51 AM, said:

I'll just have to agree to disagree with your summary of OS 10.3 maintenance in a nutshell, and agree with experience, documentation by authors, and archermitch and Maestro.

OK, here's a couple of links that have more info: Here and here.  That is all.  :)

--Eric