#21 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:26 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on April 6th 2007, 04:04 AM, said:

No because A.. it's not meant for games and B it's not the top of the line it uses the same chip as a 7800GTX in other words previous gen DX9 level. It's also put into a mode more optimized for things like 3D Graphics programs (example: Maya) than games. Sure it may handle a lot of games out there. But if I where putting money down on such a system especially for how much I'd spend on this I'd want nothing but the best. You aren't getting the state of the art in graphics on the new Mac Pro and they aren't giving any options for it either and I personally don't like that.

I would like to see GeForce 8xxx series cards in there.
Thank you for clarifying, Smoke_Tetsu. :)

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#22 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:17 AM

View Postyo-mike, on April 6th 2007, 02:30 AM, said:

I don't see many users being able to utilize such a machine's potential, other than computer wiz/scientists.

Or people who do 3D rendering, which is actually quite a few.

--Eric

#23 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:59 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on April 6th 2007, 02:18 AM, said:

Psst.. a little birdy says that games are going to come out that take advantage of 4 or more cores... like from valve and remedy. They say it's at 4 where you really start seeing interesting stuff being able to be done with (new) games. Seriously... they've been talking about it quite a bit these past months.

When will we see a 8 core tower from the PC vendors? They have the Core 2 Duo, so I assume all the game companies will want to program specifically for 2 processors.
Tortillas are sleeping bags for ground beef.

#24 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:59 PM

yes, but a lot of these high profile games are coming out on PC and consoles at the same time these days, and as such, what with the X360 having 3 cores and the PS3 having many more than that, theres a lot of ground work that will go into the game engine's core that gives you support for more than 2 CPUs.

anyway, once youve got the hard bit of dual processors out of the way, adding support for more than 2 processors must be an order of magnitude simpler.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#25 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

on an interesting side note, an update to the ps3 allowed you to leave the console on to help find cures for certain diseases. (I think you should familiar with this being on computers too) and there was an explosion of software. I couldn't find the numbers, but I remember that pcs generated about 25 terabytes and within a month the ps3 was making 113 terabytes, but I can't tell if that's grossly wrong and I'll try to find those numbers...
Mac Tip of the Day is a podcast, blog, archive, e-mail subscription, etc. of for clever mac tip every day!
Also check out Mac Tip of the Day for the Iphone

Click Here and join Gamefly!

Current Comp:
Intel Mac Mini OS 10.4.10
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Correct me if I'm wrong. It happens often.

#26 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:02 PM

Yes, there's been discussion of that at TeamMacOSX, and I don't recall the numbers but PS3s have been cranking out a TON of Folding@Home research.

I believe that a Core2Duo (not even quad or octo!) can actually crank out a little more than a PS3. But most of the PCs/Macs folding out there aren't Core2Duos yet. In any case, a PS3 is a lot of folding bang for the buck... not to mention playing BD movies and, oh yeah games :) (Despite my sig I don't own a PS3... but I'm tempted.)

#27 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:32 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on April 6th 2007, 02:18 AM, said:

Psst.. a little birdy says that games are going to come out that take advantage of 4 or more cores... like from valve and remedy.

Alan Wake anyone?

View Postnagromme, on April 6th 2007, 03:02 PM, said:

I believe that a Core2Duo (not even quad or octo!) can actually crank out a little more than a PS3. But most of the PCs/Macs folding out there aren't Core2Duos yet. In any case, a PS3 is a lot of folding bang for the buck... not to mention playing BD movies and, oh yeah games :)

Not to mention better range of backwards compatible games unlike some other console.
What is a man?

#28 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:14 PM

Yes, there's been discussion of that at TeamMacOSX, and I don't recall the numbers but PS3s have been cranking out a TON of Folding@Home research.

I believe that a Core2Duo (not even quad or octo!) can actually crank out a little more than a PS3. But most of the PCs/Macs folding out there aren't Core2Duos yet. In any case, a PS3 is a lot of folding bang for the buck... not to mention playing BD movies and, oh yeah games :) (Despite my sig I don't own a PS3... but I'm tempted.)
Ya know, I wish they'd add incentives for folding@home - (Your processor wear & tear, electric bill)
Something like every so many proteins folded there'd be some nice deep pocketed folks donations of McDonald's coupons or whatnot like it to motivate the whole schpeal.
Bartering/swapping, like the good 'ol grand dad days. Too bad. yeah, yeah, I know it's for a good cause, but you're doing a service for another entity and such.. You got something these guys don't! Let's see some action on the other side too, this is a two way street world!  :wall:

Or people who do 3D rendering, which is actually quite a few.

--Eric
They're in the wiz group. :mellow:
~yo-mike

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#29 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:23 PM

View Postnagromme, on April 6th 2007, 04:02 PM, said:

I'm currently folding 24/7 for TeamMacOSX.

Why doesn't the SMP client take full advantage of the processors? I'm running it on my Mac Pro, and with the SMP client and other stuff running, total processor usage never goes above 75%.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#30 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:30 PM

View Postarchermitch, on April 6th 2007, 12:57 PM, said:

I couldn't find the numbers, but I remember that pcs generated about 25 terabytes and within a month the ps3 was making 113 terabytes

Unless you use a Radeon 1900, in which case you put out twice as much as a PS3. It's also unfair to count all the old Macs and PCs people have signed up, it's not like anyone expects a G3 or G4 to keep up.

#31 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:37 PM

Yeah, and the who's going to make the big bucks, Bub?
Not you.

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#32 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:56 PM

View Postyo-mike, on April 6th 2007, 05:14 PM, said:

Ya know, I wish they'd add incentives for folding@home - (Your processor wear & tear, electric bill)
Something like every so many proteins folded there'd be some nice deep pocketed folks donations of McDonald's coupons or whatnot like it to motivate the whole schpeal.
Bartering/swapping, like the good 'ol grand dad days. Too bad. yeah, yeah, I know it's for a good cause, but you're doing a service for another entity and such.. You got something these guys don't! Let's see some action on the other side too, this is a two way street world!  :wall:

In case you're serious, it's not a two-way street, it's a one-way donation to a nonprofit cause I support. Much like volunteering at a soup kitchen or donating money to homeless wildebeests. (Except, of course, that THIS nonprofit might indirectly save my life or the life of someone I know, in future years when the research opens up new medical treatments.)

"Unlike other distributed computing projects, Folding@home is run by an academic institution (specifically the Pande Group, at Stanford University's Chemistry Department), which is a nonprofit institution dedicated to science research and education. We will not sell the data or make any money off of it.

Moreover, we will make the data available for others to use. In particular, the results from Folding@home will be made available on several levels. Most importantly, analysis of the simulations will be submitted to scientific journals for publication, and these journal articles will be posted on the web page after publication. Next, after publication of these scientific articles which analyze the data, the raw data of the folding runs will be available for everyone, including other researchers, here on this web site."

http://folding.stanf...tml#project.own

I'm certainly not going to stop supporting cures for diseases, just out of fear that some future company might add their own contribution and make some money. There's no more nonprofit way to pursue cures than this one. And if I DID have a problem with it, I'd pursue legislation to make sure cures are never profitable--I wouldn't stop LOOKING for cures :) I certainly wouldn't think a few coupons fixed anything.

View PostDark_Archon, on April 6th 2007, 06:23 PM, said:

I'm currently folding 24/7 for TeamMacOSX.

Why doesn't the SMP client take full advantage of the processors? I'm running it on my Mac Pro, and with the SMP client and other stuff running, total processor usage never goes above 75%.

That's a quirk everybody sees. Maybe Stanford will improve efficiency once SMP is out of beta, but it also depends on the particular Work Unit I think. I get over 90% on my Core 2 Duo. In any case, it's a whole lot of folding getting done :)

#33 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:39 PM

View Postnagromme, on April 6th 2007, 09:56 PM, said:

In case you're serious, it's not a two-way street, it's a one-way donation to a nonprofit cause I support. Much like volunteering at a soup kitchen or donating money to homeless wildebeests. (Except, of course, that THIS nonprofit might indirectly save my life or the life of someone I know, in future years when the research opens up new medical treatments.)

[i]"Unlike other distributed computing projects, Folding@home is run by an academic institution (specifically the Pande Group, at Stanford University's Chemistry Department), which is a nonprofit institution dedicated to science research and education. We will not sell the data or make any money off of it.

Moreover, we will make the data available for others to use.
The issue I'm getting at nagromme is this information (If and/or when it ever becomes of anything) from folding and it's benefits, is someone will make a profit on it. And it'll be[b] BIG!
You guys folding won't make squat!
Maybe, just maybe if you've read a little more about the pharmecutical Co.'s, hospitals, doctors, CEO's etc., etc. You'd see the big scam behind it all. The harmful crap the pharmacists peddle. They get you addicted, cash strapped and butt naked and hacking up your blood and guts before it's all over. - living on beans and minute rice.
hello?

So, maybe with your Mac computer savvy you could do some more lucrative time and processors spent on some freelance work with something like DreamWeaver.

Yes, I'm serious. :mellow:
~yo-mike

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#34 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:40 PM

it's sort of odd to ask this, especially since I brought it up, but what exactly is this folding? What are the consequences for your computer? Does your computer never sleep? I know that I saw it in a signature, but I only briefly skimmed it.
Mac Tip of the Day is a podcast, blog, archive, e-mail subscription, etc. of for clever mac tip every day!

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#35 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:39 PM

Archer: click my sig link and all is explained :)

Mike: I do use my time on my Mac profitably, but the point of F@H is that it leverages your machine's UNused time.

I agree 100% that when a cure comes, it will make someone lots of money (which will not harm me). Do you know of a way to generate cures that does not make anyone money? Because if there's no other way, isn't it better to have a cure than not to have one?

One thing that helps: F@H results and research are available to all parties freely, so no company can make exclusive profits from it. (They can of course make money off of their own work that carries things further.)

Realize too that F@H is about basic research to understand a new and wide-open field of science--it's not yet about specific treatments. Rather, it's a first step needed before new kinds of treatments can be possible.

#36 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:11 PM

got it downloaded and running, but nothing seems to be happening. even when I say display protein, it sure a black screen with some logos in the corners. Help, please?

Edit: Says "could not connect to work server." what's this mean?

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#37 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:53 PM

Hi, nagromme.
Well, I guess I'm giving Folding@home a try anyway...
Wow! I've never seen my CPU monitor look like a earth globe before!
Heh, I guess you won the debate. (This time around) ;)
But, this is pretty cool. And at least no one can say I've never contributed with my computer.

Archermitch, if you own a PPC mac you should download the Folding@home for G3,G4, or G5, otherwise the folding at home for Intel macs. Just follow the instructions on the web page you downloaded it from. If I can do it, you can too. :cool:

Don't you guys just love morphed threads?

Edit: Archermitch, I just noticed on your signature that you only have 256 MB for your eMac running 10.4.... Well, 256 MB isn't even enough to run 10.4 efficiently.... you should at least get another 512 MB card. You can max out the RAM on the last 2 eMac models to 2 GB (1GBx2)

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#38 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:42 AM

I believe I've been told that twice now. Is it really true?

I just got a fantastic idea. I can leave it running on my tower. It has upgraded Ram, 10.4, and is left on for at least 20 hours of non-use. I think this makes a good compromise. I'm using my emac for the screensaver.

BTW It works now.

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#39 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:00 AM

View Postarchermitch, on April 7th 2007, 01:42 AM, said:

I believe I've been told that twice now. Is it really true?

That's what a lot of emac users had commented about when they upgraded to 10.4.... Beachballs galore, dude.
I don't know myself; I took out the 256MB card a while ago and upgraded to 2GB on my G4 badboy.
Upgrading to 10.4 from 10.3 is just a little way down the road too.

I just got a fantastic idea. I can leave it running on my tower. It has upgraded Ram, 10.4, and is left on for at least 20 hours of non-use. I think this makes a good compromise. I'm using my emac for the screensaver.
Cool! Does the screensaver crunch proteins too?

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#40 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:45 AM

I'm not upgrading. I'm getting a Mac Mini soon. :)

Yes the screensaver folds proteins.

When I look at my stats online there seems to be no information. I have no working units, no progress, no nothin' Any tips?

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM